Player Discussion Adam Henrique

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's a beauty, makes all the small things happen, he's like a silfverberg that can score..

Reactions: Duck Off

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
And he now has hist 1st multi goal game as a Duck.

2 goals 3 assists 5 points in 4 games so far with the Ducks.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He's a beauty, makes all the small things happen, he's like a silfverberg that can score..

I agree with this.

He's not as strong defensively as Silfverberg, but he's much better offensively, and the ability to play as a 2nd line center well is huge. He may be a better winger, but having him as our 3rd line center is huge IMO. I could see his 3rd line feasting on opposing teams bottom 6 forwards.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
So good to see Rico starting well for the Ducks. You guys will love him. He'll have cold spells, but always comes up big.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
What are the odds that playing, and practicing, with Vermette and Kesler will improve Henrique's face offs? I can't see him staying at center for us if he can't get over 50% on the dot.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I cant say if theyll teach him how to be better at faceoffs but I could see him improving his percentage because randy can put him out there for favorable faceoffs while kesler takes the difficult ones vs other teams top faceoff centers. At least for our home games.

Oct 18, 2011
Faceoffs are what they are. If he can generate offense there that's where we need him. I can't underscore the importance of having a scoring third line enough. We'll have the ability to do some interesting things now. Him and Rakell or Perry could give us a substantial matchup advantage.

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
Faceoffs are what they are. If he can generate offense there that's where we need him. I can't underscore the importance of having a scoring third line enough. We'll have the ability to do some interesting things now. Him and Rakell or Perry could give us a substantial matchup advantage.

But a good face off guy clearly gives you an advantage. Let's just assume we pair Raks with Getz, and Henrique with Perry. Which do you think would make a stronger line?

Ritchie - Henrique - Perry

or

Henrique - (Vermette/Grant) - Perry

Is that pairing better served with more possession from face offs, or more offense from Ritchie?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
But a good face off guy clearly gives you an advantage. Let's just assume we pair Raks with Getz, and Henrique with Perry. Which do you think would make a stronger line?

or

Is that pairing better served with more possession from face offs, or more offense from Ritchie?

Wagner has looked pretty good this year too, do you think he might fit on that line if Grant can't?

And is it smart to put Kesler on the shutdown line right away? Maybe putting him with Henrique and Perry for a little while might be smart to "ease" him in.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Wagner has looked pretty good this year too, do you think he might fit on that line if Grant can't?

And is it smart to put Kesler on the shutdown line right away? Maybe putting him with Henrique and Perry for a little while might be smart to "ease" him in.
I think smart defense is an easier ask than providing offense to begin. Especially if our other two main lines are scoring lines.

Reactions: lwvs84

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

or

Yeah but faceoffs are only a small part of a centres game - look at Malkin, McDavid etc for examples of that. When we are healthy we have Kesler who hovers around 55%, Vermette who wins 60% and Getzlaf who is about 50% so we can afford to shelter Henrique in terms of faceoffs. Carlyle isn’t shy about throwing another centre out there for key draws anyway.

Oct 18, 2011

or

There are statistics that show faceoff success has little to do with generating offense or preventing it on a macro level. Situationally yes it's important but Henrique will never be asked to take those.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I really think we will see him play a lot of wing for us. Especially at the end of games when we could throw out a Kesler/Getz/Henrique lineup out there

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
When healthy, I wonder how a Wagner-Henrique-Kase line could look. Wagner is pretty good on the dot and could take draws and let Henrique play center other than that. Or even have Wagner as the full time center if Henrique is a much better winger.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What are the odds that playing, and practicing, with Vermette and Kesler will improve Henrique's face offs? I can't see him staying at center for us if he can't get over 50% on the dot.

I don't think you can draw the line at 50% when practically half of the players in the league are below that at any given time. Heck, Getzlaf has never reached 51% in a single season in his entire career. Henrique is below average in the faceoff dot, but he's not Cogliano level bad. Seems like he's typically around 48% most of the time, which is 'ok'. We've just gotten spoiled with Kesler and Vermette in recent years, as well as Getzlaf starting to be more consistent at 49-50% from year to year.

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
I don't think you can draw the line at 50% when practically half of the players in the league are below that at any given time. Heck, Getzlaf has never reached 51% in a single season in his entire career. Henrique is below average in the faceoff dot, but he's not Cogliano level bad. Seems like he's typically around 48% most of the time, which is 'ok'. We've just gotten spoiled with Kesler and Vermette in recent years, as well as Getzlaf starting to be more consistent at 49-50% from year to year.

Hopefully you're right. He's currently at 30.5% for us through 4 games. So..... at least it's not 20.5%??? This does, however, fall into the "no where to go but up" category... I hope!

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'd leave him with Perry. getzlaf and Perry don't fit together anymore
Although I don't like that this is true, I agree that it's true. Getz can produce consistently against other teams' best defenders, Perry can't. And Perry's got 5 points in his last 4 games with Henrique. I'd do Henrique-Perry, Kesler-Silf, and Getz-Kase as our core center-wing pairs moving forward. Although, Kase seems to have something going with Vermette, too.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Good to see henrique doing well. I've been pleased with vatanen thus far in NJ. They have been tapping more into a defensive role, playing on the top shutdown pairing, as opposed to trying to get the most offense out of him. Which more fits was the devils need. He's been really solid especially given his partner (Greene) has been pretty putrid the past half dozen games or so (even dating back before Sami arrived). Been moving the puck quickly in the dzone when he gets it on his stick and effectively separating guys from the puck down low. Playing on the #2 pp unit as well, and can tell he is still trying to get acclimated there. Would like to see him shoot it more with the man advantage.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Although I don't like that this is true, I agree that it's true. Getz can produce consistently against other teams' best defenders, Perry can't. And Perry's got 5 points in his last 4 games with Henrique. I'd do Henrique-Perry, Kesler-Silf, and Getz-Kase as our core center-wing pairs moving forward. Although, Kase seems to have something going with Vermette, too.
You would float Ricky at LW between the first and third lines trading off with Ritchie?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Ricky's one of our worst defensive forwards, so his use ought to be situational.
Ok. I didn’t realize you were focusing more on the defensive side first. I guess mainly because they all look pretty solid offensively too.

I think I’d try to keep Ricky on that first line unless the third line really needed a boost, in which case I’d consider dropping him down there and bumping Ritchie up.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Good to see henrique doing well. I've been pleased with vatanen thus far in NJ. They have been tapping more into a defensive role, playing on the top shutdown pairing, as opposed to trying to get the most offense out of him. Which more fits was the devils need. He's been really solid especially given his partner (Greene) has been pretty putrid the past half dozen games or so (even dating back before Sami arrived). Been moving the puck quickly in the dzone when he gets it on his stick and effectively separating guys from the puck down low. Playing on the #2 pp unit as well, and can tell he is still trying to get acclimated there. Would like to see him shoot it more with the man advantage.

Yeah we wanted him to use his shot more on the man advantage too. I don’t know why but after the 15-16 season he decided not to shoot the puck despite having a great slapper. Hopefully for the Devils sake he starts to use it again, he was a very dangerous PP weapon for us once upon a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad