Value of: Adam Fox

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
McAvoy is a great player. So is Adam Fox. They are different type of players though. For my money, I want Fox, but YMMV.
Really no need to get upset if others prefer Fox. It's not like one stands above the other by any significant margin.
Its not even close. And anyone tht would take Fox...Is a FANBOY or does not understand hockey

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Its not even close. And anyone tht would take Fox...Is a FANBOY or does not understand hockey
Splitting typically refers to an immature defense whereby polarized views of self and others arise due to intolerable conflicting emotions. A person employing splitting may idealize someone at one time (seeing the person as “all good”) and devalue them the next (seeing the person as “all bad”)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like I'm one of the biggest proponents of McAvoy there is. I think he could easily have won the Norris last season, and could win it this season. I think he's the best defenseman in the league at defending. However, Fox this season has put himself in that same top tier of defensemen. I don't know that Fox is better than McAvoy, but I don't think McAvoy is noticeably better.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And anyone that compare Grzelyk to Fox is a schmo. Fox just dropped 20 pts this month. Last 2 rangers D to do that we’re Leetch and brad Park. All while playing stellar defense against the best in the business. Lemme know when the big G starts getting some milestones

Reactions: One Winged Angel

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I’m a huge Charlie McAvoy fan. His family is from Long Beach, where I have tons of family. His father did plumbing for my family. His father also grew up playing hockey with my uncle and I used to see his father bring Charlie down to the roller rink to do off-ice drills. My stepfather worked with his father and aunts and uncles when they were young. I rooted so hard for Boston to beat St. Louis in 2019 because of Charlie.

However, if you think there is some massive gap between McAvoy and Fox, you probably don’t watch Fox at all. Fox is an incredible defender (I’ll concede that McAvoy is better defensively - one of the top 3-5 best in the league defensively, IMO) but Fox is scoring at a 73 point pace over an 80 game season with the Rangers power play being abysmal, 25th in the league - skewed because of the 2 games against the flyers in which they scored a total of 17 goals. McAvoy plays 2:11 on the PP, 2:25 SH, 19:36 at ES and 24:11 TOI overall. Fox plays 4:08 on the PP, 2:32 SH, and 17:50 at ES per game, 24:29 TOI overall per game. The PP TOI disparity is because Quinn BARELY uses the 2nd unit and McAvoy isn’t even Boston’s #1 d-man in PP TOI/game, Grzelcyk is at 3:30/game. Charlie also has to play 19:36 per game at ES because Boston has a very young defense and it’s kinda weird that Brandon Carlo, Matt Grzelcyk and Kevan Miller get less ES TOI/game than Connor Clifton and Jakub Zboril, despite the former three having more NHL games under their belt than the latter two.

Fox and McAvoy are clearly minutes eaters that are both playing Norris Caliber hockey. The eye test and analytics tell you this. Rangers and Bruins fans should both be happy to have their guys and expect to see them both play for team USA in the upcoming Olympics, if Bettman sends the NHL’ers.

Reactions: Doriva

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I really think the Fox/Mcavoy debate is splitting hairs.

They may both wind up being 2/3 of the Norris nominations this season and both will play for Team USA.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
View media item 8711
The defender whose name is blurred in that picture is actually Seth Jones, but keep telling yourself that he’s better than Fox.

And PIETRANGELO?!?!? Hahahah. Have you even watched him this year? Not even the best defender on his own team and isn’t playing like a #1.

Doughty LMFAO.

Ok, we’re done here.
I don't understand the shade thrown at Doughty. He's having a Norris caliber season (if not for Hedman).

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't understand the shade thrown at Doughty. He's having a Norris caliber season (if not for Hedman).

I don’t disagree that Doughty is having a resurgent year. I think he’s getting a bit overrated because of his name.

Does he deserve Norris votes? Yes. To be a finalist? I personally don’t think so.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Anyways getting back to his trade value the answer should be insanely high. Or not available at all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I would sign fox for 8 x $6mill if he would accept that. Some players you just know will be good. Makar, Hughes, Girard, Fox... lock those guys up Max deals.

See I’m not sure about this. When is your window? A bridge can be better if you are trying to be competitive over the life of the bridge.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
You gotta wonder what his next deal will look like. 8x$9.5M?

I think he will give a hometown discount. He's from Long Island and grew up a big Rangers fan. This is the only place he wanted to play. He forced his way here. He wants to win a Cup(s) here, and the best way to do that isn't by maxing out on a contract. It's by saving the team a bit of cap to build the best team possible. 8 x 8-8.5 IMO. He will still be handsomely paid, but a bit less than what he's actually worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad