Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXX (Shatty susp. 2 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If deep in the playoffs, and our bottom 6 is not scoring, and defensemen are limping, I would like to see 7 D dressed. Especially in a game when Barry knows 4 is not going to get any significant ice time anyways.

RH...if I didn't know better I'd be inclined to believe you are taking the first steps into wanted to use the 3D Ron Wilson Strategy..

If so just come out and say it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tampa has been rolling with 11F, 7D under Cooper. Sometimes Nesterov will takes shifts at wing, but they typically just mix in another winger on the 4th line.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
RH...if I didn't know better I'd be inclined to believe you are taking the first steps into wanted to use the 3D Ron Wilson Strategy..

If so just come out and say it.

:laugh:

I forgot all about that!

What I don't want, is to hear after a round 2 game 7 blowout, a list of significant injuries on D, yet reserves were never used. Because; Mike Green with one arm is better on the PP than everyone else.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Will be interesting to hear how this works out. Good thing the Caps aren't playing a team like Philly. :laugh:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Honestly if they'd just swap Wilson and Vrana it'd be great. I think Vrana could excel on that line, but I get why they put Wilson there.

I disagree with Trotz belief in always having a "grinder" type on a line though.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Honestly if they'd just swap Wilson and Vrana it'd be great. I think Vrana could excel on that line, but I get why they put Wilson there.

I disagree with Trotz belief in always having a "grinder" type on a line though.

Nah, Wilson has above-average speed, has the ability to create space, and has been making plays. It's a fully justified experiment, IMO.

I'd swap Vrana with Williams. Williams is the guy most deserving of a demotion to 4th line at the moment.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Anyway, decent line changes overall, at least in the top-6.

Agreed. I had my own preference that is slightly different but these at least signal to me that Trotz understands things have gone stale, especially between Backstrom and Ovechkin. If the players don't perform now I'll be really concerned.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'll take those lines and be happy with them for now.

Over/under on Trotz keeping Ovie and Kuzy together is 2 periods.

This is the fear I have. The moment that line has a down game I feel Trotz is going to go right back to his comfortable first line and never look back, despite two straight seasons of poor play. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
IF (not dooming or glooming), hypothetically, do you trade a big core piece and re-tool this off-season?

GMBM has already said that if this team doesn't get it done, moves are gonna have to be made. I can't imagine what he'd mean short of some sort of rebuild/retool. The issue with that is the only way that works is if you unload Ovechkin, which Ted will never allow because the team could win zero games and he'd still be bringing in money with merch. So what do they do? The 'easiest' change would be to trade a Kuzya or Alzner for some other piece, as I can't see them moving Backstrom or Holtby.

If this team doesn't get it done its time to start thinking about moving Ovechkin. Not that he's bad, but just because the team needs a shake up in a massive way.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
GMBM has already said that if this team doesn't get it done, moves are gonna have to be made. I can't imagine what he'd mean short of some sort of rebuild/retool. The issue with that is the only way that works is if you unload Ovechkin, which Ted will never allow because the team could win zero games and he'd still be bringing in money with merch. So what do they do? The 'easiest' change would be to trade a Kuzya or Alzner for some other piece, as I can't see them moving Backstrom or Holtby.

If this team doesn't get it done its time to start thinking about moving Ovechkin. Not that he's bad, but just because the team needs a shake up in a massive way.

My thought exactly, if the core that has been here for a decade can't win with this team...not sure it's going to happen

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
My thought exactly, if the core that has been here for a decade can't win with this team...not sure it's going to happen

I'm not even sure its about the core. Its the fact that this is arguably the best team the Caps have ever fielded, there's not gonna be a time near in the future where they're supposed to be this loaded on talent and ability. If that can't get it done, you either limp into the post season the next 4 or 5 years hoping to get lucky or you suck it up and potentially suck for a year (or roll the dice on new players) to go for it all.

Realistically, don't see Ted going for a gamble. He'll ride Ovechkin and the core until the wheels truly fall off and then he'll hope and pray to get lucky in the lottery again.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Ted will never, ever trade Ovechkin unless Ovie tells him he's leaving for Russia if he doesn't get traded. Ovechkin is Ted's cash cow. He is the face of the franchise. He is what has made hockey popular in the DMV. Check out this statistic from US Hockey from 2014.

Virginia
Total Players: 9,351 (+2.2%)
National Rank: 15
Notes: Virginia hit another record high as its rapid growth trend continues in the wake of Alexander Ovechkin’s arrival with the Washington Capitals. The state has experience better than 60 percent growth over the last six years as Ovechkin continues piling up goals.

Washington, D.C.
Total Players: 1,113 (+11.3%)
National Rank: 45
Notes: SEE: Ovechkin, Alexander. Twelve years ago there was 150 players in the District.

Ted will move Ovechkin only when Ovie wants to be moved.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Thoughts on whether the Caps try to sign Gersich at the end of the UND season?

Also, do they sign Pinho?

Pino is a junior and Gersich is a sophomore, but you have to think the Caps might be a little worried after the DiPauli situation.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I bet the top line has a monster game tonight

2nd line may work as Wilson gets Ovis feet going.

3rd line will be good but needs bits back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad