Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXX (Shatty susp. 2 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/03/05/top-2017-college-hockey-free-agents-part-2/
Hampus Gustafsson, LW/C, Merrimack Warriors, Senior (6’4†205lbs) Shoots Left

The 23-year-old Swede plays a straight-line power forward game, scoring 14 goals and 25 points in 35 games. He has a good skating stride, and generates decent speed; but is much more willing to bowl over a defender to get to the net, then to try and stickhandle around him. He punishes defencemen on the forecheck. Gustafsson can also effectively use his size and balance to shield the puck on the forecheck and grind out a possession game. He has good defensive skills, including strong positioning; a long, active stick and good face-off skills. That two-way game, coupled with his size will certainly have NHL teams making offers.
That's a pretty aggressive early start with NCAA UFAs. I believe this makes it Capitals 3, the rest of the NHL 0. It's to be expected with a relatively thin system and the lack of picks next summer but this isn't even getting to the highest profile options like Aston-Reese, Vecchione, Brickley, Foo, Kloos and others.

It's super early but this gives them 28 players under contract next season with 11 RFAs. You'd figure Corbett probably won't get a contract but Copley among UFAs should at least (and historically there are at least a few Hershey vets signed). A number of depth options will require waivers next fall IINM--Stephenson, Walker, Boyd & O'Brien--so it makes sense to at least prepare for them exiting the farm. I guess we could see any of them moved for a pick or prospect at the draft as well if they're not in their plans. Plus, they need to get Pinho & Gersich signed up.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It's super early but this gives them 28 players under contract next season with 11 RFAs. You'd figure Corbett probably won't get a contract but Copley among UFAs should at least (and historically there are at least a few Hershey vets signed). A number of depth options will require waivers next fall IINM--Stephenson, Walker, Boyd & O'Brien--so it makes sense to at least prepare for them exiting the farm. I guess we could see any of them moved for a pick or prospect at the draft as well if they're not in their plans. Plus, they need to get Pinho & Gersich signed up.

Does Gruby have any value this off season in a trade for picks?

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
That's a pretty aggressive early start with NCAA UFAs. I believe this makes it Capitals 3, the rest of the NHL 0. It's to be expected with a relatively thin system and the lack of picks next summer but this isn't even getting to the highest profile options like Aston-Reese, Vecchione, Brickley, Foo, Kloos and others.

Didn't find anything on them in RLR, and haven't the faintest if they can play or not, but I don't mind that they are adding a bit of height to the organization.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Of course, i think we can get a first for him. But trading Gruby means that Vegas probably claims Schmidt, since we're probably gonna lose Alzner and Shattenkirk and hopefully trading Orpik, we may have to let Vegas have him. The ultimate win scenario is getting Vegas to take Orpik in the draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I would think so but it's hard to say. It's tricky with expansion and some teams maybe waiting it out. I did read one note recently from a Vegas scout (Conte) suggesting they could select up to seven goaltenders in the expansion draft and use a few of them as trade assets. I find that hard to believe given their likely options but the Caps may need to sell short a bit given the timing. IMO it mostly rests on what CGY & DAL end up doing, as those two are probably the best fits.
Didn't find anything on them in RLR, and haven't the faintest if they can play or not, but I don't mind that they are adding a bit of height to the organization.
Agreed. Gritty too when it comes to the forwards. They're likely bottom sixers at best but another future Beagle would be nice.

Hampus hatty. Seems a bit like Eller, down to the number.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
(edit; Nevermind on expansion draft rules, I should do more math)

I do think it's a poor time to try and be selling a goaltender. Fleury is either getting bought out or traded to Vegas. Halak is the 3rd goaltender for the Islanders, and has requested a trade. Bishop is a UFA. There's a good chance Mason will hit the open market.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Conte needs to read up on the expansion draft rules. Vegas has fixed numbers they can draft from each position. They will select exactly three goaltenders.
At least three...and at least 14F/9D so he's right. They could do that. But there will be better assets among skaters IMO. Plus, there would be nothing stopping teams from then just waiting them out, seeing how UFA shakes out and forcing Vegas to waive in the fall. Four or five make sense for depth maybe but beyond that I doubt the value will be there for them. The market for skaters should always be deeper.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
For the love of god - please please please don't experiment with a guy who is a #6 defender who has never had more than 16 points in his NHL career as a forward. Please.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They should use Orlov at forward instead, he was raised a forward and plays like one in the offensive zone. Could be our Russian Brent Burns

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/03/05/top-2017-college-hockey-free-agents-part-2/

Who was the 3rd. This F from Merrimack, the D from Lake Superior....and who?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For the love of god - please please please don't experiment with a guy who is a #6 defender who has never had more than 16 points in his NHL career as a forward. Please.

You have no idea how he would perform in that role. As long as he defends well, who cares if he doesn't score if he even plays a single game as a forward in his career?

He can't be worse than some of the garbage we had filling in since Trotz joined the Caps. I'm talking about Richards, Sill, LOB etc.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
You have no idea how he would perform in that role. As long as he defends well, who cares if he doesn't score if he even plays a single game as a forward in his career?

He can't be worse than some of the garbage we had filling in since Trotz joined the Caps. I'm talking about Richards, Sill, LOB etc.

He's probably never played forward before in his professional career. This isn't the time to experiment.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
He's probably never played forward before in his professional career. This isn't the time to experiment.

Its literally the time to experiment. They're running away with a playoff berth, this is the time to figure out what they've got.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

they have salary cap issues. they are not carrying a SPARE forward on this road trip as a result. unless someone is injured, he isn't going to play. they are not going to choose to sit Winnik so Schmidt can play.

This is a nothing burger

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Now is the time to start working on chemistry and reps for your guys who are going to be playing in the postseason. Getting sharp and building confidence individually and as a team should be priority one right now, not position uncertainty.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I know I am slow, but....are you talking about Schmidt here?

Whoever. Not the time to experiment anymore. That was pre-TDL. It's the time to start gearing up for the playoffs and locking things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad