Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXX (Shatty susp. 2 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
can we not call up a forward? do we have choice but to play Schmidt?

a. Trotz said they sent Carey down based on salary cap.
b. After the trade deadline, because rosters are expanded, teams only get I think two call ups. You cant call up someone that you don't want to keep for the rest of the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Whoever. Not the time to experiment anymore. That was pre-TDL. It's the time to start gearing up for the playoffs and locking things down.

I am not sure why so many are getting freaky about that off handed Schmidt comment. Its not an experiment. Its a back up plan in case somebody gets injured and cant play. They have no intention of sticking him in the lineup to see what he can do. As in an experiment. They have two spare players. Both defensemen. If a forward cant play a game on the roadie, they will stick Schmidt in the lineup and either go 7D or use 88 as a forward.

A reminder of what Trotz said. He was asked if with Carey going down would they use Schmidt as a forward? Trotz said, "umm....sure".

Its an emergency measure only.

Also....are you suggesting that Trotz shouldn't try a line combination change if he feels it necessary?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am not sure why so many are getting freaky about that off handed Schmidt comment. Its not an experiment. Its a back up plan in case somebody gets injured and cant play. They have no intention of sticking him in the lineup to see what he can do. As in an experiment. They have two spare players. Both defensemen. If a forward cant play a game on the roadie, they will stick Schmidt in the lineup and either go 7D or use 88 as a forward.

A reminder of what Trotz said. He was asked if with Carey going down would they use Schmidt as a forward? Trotz said, "umm....sure".

Its an emergency measure only.

Also....are you suggesting that Trotz shouldn't try a line combination change if he feels it necessary?

Am I typing in English?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
thanks bud. That clears it up for me.

Seriously, how many times do I have to say the same thing? Just read what I already wrote. I'm not going to expand any further into hypothetical strawmen you want to knock down.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@reporterchris: Bill Daly says the NHL's salary cap is projected to be $75.5M-$76M next season, but adds it will depend on inflator negotiations with NHLPA.

It won't be finalized until June but perhaps the Caps will have a bit more room to work with. The NHLPA may balk but ultimately I'd expect them to agree to it once again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
@reporterchris: Bill Daly says the NHL's salary cap is projected to be $75.5M-$76M next season, but adds it will depend on inflator negotiations with NHLPA.

It won't be finalized until June but perhaps the Caps will have a bit more room to work with. The NHLPA may balk but ultimately I'd expect them to agree to it once again.

I know it's not entirely an A+B=C situation but you'd think if a league is expanding then it should be healthy enough for the cap to go up significantly

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

That would be a 2.5 to 3 million increase correct?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Can't recall how that gets distributed--whether or not it counts as revenue in cap calculations.
It doesn't. It goes straight to the owners.

On the other hand re: expansion and the cap inflator, a new team means more money in the system on its own. It's less than the typical inflator percentage but it's something (along with more total jobs). So maybe it's the time to make a stand on escrow for once. Another consequence of not invoking it could mean more buyouts league-wide leading to more money earned outside of the cap system but, again, I'd be surprised since the NHLPA always tends to look out for the upcoming group of UFAs.
That would be a 2.5 to 3 million increase correct?
Yes, it's $73M currently.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wonder if that big of a cap hike changes who you protect in the expansion draft....

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Think Schmidt will do well as an emergency F if it comes to that (hope it won't of course). Great puck mover and skater, would definitely add speed to whatever line he ended up with.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's probably never played forward before in his professional career. This isn't the time to experiment.

Having Schmidt on the 4th line with limited minutes and a defensive role wouldn't lose us a game. Worst case scenario you can even try having Orlov at forward, I'm sure he'd do very well.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Having Schmidt on the 4th line with limited minutes and a defensive role wouldn't lose us a game. Worst case scenario you can even try having Orlov at forward, I'm sure he'd do very well.

Chances are he'd be slotted in on the third line, which regularly gets <10 minutes a game as it is. And the D are arguably more involved in offence than wingers are involved in defence as it is.

The question now Sanford's gone is what happens if one of our centers is out? If they can't recall someone for cap reasons (and I suspect they could - just can't have a 13th F around for the whole remainder of the season) does Mojo move back to C?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Chances are he'd be slotted in on the third line, which regularly gets <10 minutes a game as it is. And the D are arguably more involved in offence than wingers are involved in defence as it is.

The question now Sanford's gone is what happens if one of our centers is out? If they can't recall someone for cap reasons (and I suspect they could - just can't have a 13th F around for the whole remainder of the season) does Mojo move back to C?

having thought about it some, I think it more likely if a forward misses a game, that they would play with 11 forwards and use Schmidt as a 7th defenseman, thus getting him some reps on the D. Otherwise he wont get to play short of an injury until the Caps are locked into a seed.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

I guess it'd depend on which center goes out. If it's Beagle and probably Eller, I think they'd use someone from the farm. If all other forwards are healthy (i.e. when Burakovsky is back), I'd move MoJo to C and shuffle wings, adding Vrana.

In terms of maintaining skill levels and strength on zone entries up the middle, I imagine MoJo would be more reliable if either of our top centers miss games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
having thought about it some, I think it more likely if a forward misses a game, that they would play with 11 forwards and use Schmidt as a 7th defenseman, thus getting him some reps on the D. Otherwise he wont get to play short of an injury until the Caps are locked into a seed.

If deep in the playoffs, and our bottom 6 is not scoring, and defensemen are limping, I would like to see 7 D dressed. Especially in a game when Barry knows 4 is not going to get any significant ice time anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad