Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think from the game today, it is obvious to all those with a brain that it would be helpful if they make a move for an upgrade to the team if they hope to compete with the big dogs.

I'm fully expcecting a move as I know this team is serious about winning a cup and they can't be that stupid to think we are able to beat the Hawks/LA in a 7 game series with the current team.

How do you make a move? With what cap space?

The team today looked poor and were trampled on by Chicago. I fully expect the GM of the team to do something that will help us level the playing field and compete. It looked like Men Vs Boys out there today sadly.

Outshot them, out hit them, got one more scoring chance than them but yeah, we got trampled on.
I thought we played better in this loss than the win against Minny. Clearly we're not watching the same team.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I don't think the issue with the first line is ov and backstrom I think it's with backstrom and oshie, they need to be separated. I'd like to see either of the following top 6. More the first but either would work

Ovechkin backstrom Williams
Bura Kuzy Oshie

Ovechkin Kuzy Oshie
Bura Backstrom Williams

tmljeh19*

GMs have lost their jobs for making bad signings. The Orpik and Niskanen signings were very controversial at the time, and some people still think the Orpik contract is a huge burden. Imagine, you just got appointed as GM of a talented but underachieving team. Your first move is to give $11.25M to two defensemen, one of whom appeared to be declining sharply. That's bold.

It turned out well in the end, but he took a significant risk by giving huge contracts like that right away. Imagine if Orpik was complete crap. What now? You buy him out and you have $2.5M of dead cap space until 2023, after Ovechkin's contract expires? You don't call that a ballsy move?

Ballsy to massively overpay someone? No. What I consider ballsy would be trading a much loved prospect for someone to aid in a cup run and have it work out. That's ballsy.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Is there a legit Johansson for Hanzal rumor?

I do it all day long. Yeah, Johansson is younger and has shown well the lat little while, but Hanzal is one of the best defensive centers in the league. An elite defensive center is the an element common to all the Cup winners since Pittsburgh.

Langway linked to this in the last thread.

http://arizonasports.com/story/569774/should-coyotes-hanzal-be-in-play-at-trade-deadline/

The rest is speculation from us.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Backstrom is a pretty elite defensive C is he not? Trotz thinks so. Most think its a sham he hasn't been considered for a selke.

Hanzal has about a 70% rate of play over the last 4 years. He makes Eric Fehr look like an iron man.

What good is Hanzal if he is on IR which he most likely will be especially in the playoffs?
I just disagree with Trotz. Have we ever seen Backstrom shut down the top center of another team?

And from what we've seen of Johansson in the playoffs he's not worth much more than an IR'ed Hanzal.

For me, it's evident Hanzal's injuries haven't depleted his game at all. If your medical staff clears him and doesn't see any specific concern for re-injury, I don't think it should be a factor. The decreased ice time in DC should reduce chance of future injury as well.

tmljeh19*

so it was basically: caps outshot hawks 30-23. outhit them 47-27, lose 3-2 on road against the top west team on a 12:30 matinee and we got outclassed? sometimes you just get unlucky

Now it's unlucky? We like to blame everything but the real issue. They simply aren't good enough. It's not the refs, or schedule or away team or luck. It's the team. Plain and simple.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
With MJ playing so well at 3C and the fact that we have 2 other guys who can play 3/4 C (Richards, Beagle) leads me to believe we will be looking at a winger if anything.

We have 8 D and unless they are deceiving us on Carlson's timeline for return I can't see us adding there.

Hanzal just doesn't make sense in terms of fit and the price he'll likely command much less issues like his injury history and potential chemistry issues from shipping someone out/bringing him in.

3RW to bump Wilson down? Meh...if we wanted to bump Wilson down why not just bump Beagle up? He can play RW and would add a FO presence on the 3rd line (Righty vs MJ's lefty)

4LW? Seems the most likely to upgrade on Laich but its not as if Laich has been terrible and that we are likely to find a 4LW demonstrably better in that ROLE.

:help:

You sure come out with some doozies Bob, in your never ending defense of this team.

I will just throw out some facts for you.

Jason Chimera has the 2nd worst +/- of any player that's played 50+ games. He's at +4. Wilson and Burakovsky are at +5 and +6. Carlson is +9. Every other regular player is +14 or higher.

Laich is -6.

Every regular player -- except Nate Schmidt-- that has played over 50 games has 19pts or more, and includes defenseman. Schmidt has 14pts.

Laich has 7.

Your standards are up for debate if you think he's been anything other than terrible. If you think the Caps can't improve on Laich, no matter the role, then you are delusional.

Come on, Bob.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They simply aren't good enough. It's not the refs, or schedule or away team or luck. It's the team. Plain and simple.
Then will one piece change that fundamentally? Are they really one bold piece away?

It seems to me if you truly don't think this team has "it" then it's not going to matter what they add before the deadline. Just the opposite, it could easily dig the hole deeper long-term.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Now it's unlucky? We like to blame everything but the real issue. They simply aren't good enough. It's not the refs, or schedule or away team or luck. It's the team. Plain and simple.

Sometimes it is luck.

You can have the best team in the world and still get unlucky. **** happens.

We were unlucky to lose to the Rangers last year in playoffs. This team is better than last season... but we still need to get lucky to win.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Then will one piece change that fundamentally? Are they really one bold piece away?

It seems to me if you truly don't think this team has "it" then it's not going to matter what they add before the deadline. Just the opposite, it could easily dig the hole deeper long-term.

This.

You make a good point. I think this team is a few pieces away still but that's just me. One bold trade will not change their fate this postseason.

tmljeh19*

I think they are a combo of two things away. One is a piece. The other is current players playing to potential and getting back to that play.

The thing I don't think the team is, is unlucky. Or snake bit. Or bad calls. Or away game excuses.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
How can a 94 point team by February not having something close to resembling "it"?

This is the best Caps team we've ever seen. Any additions they make just help the cause.

Good enough to win it all as is? Yes.

Grab your sacks and get it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This.

You make a good point. I think this team is a few pieces away still but that's just me. One bold trade will not change their fate this postseason.

You and no one else. This is the best Caps team ever.

A significant trade to bolster their depth over a grueling playoff season just makes sense.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
How can a 94 point team by February not having something close to resembling "it"?

This is the best Caps team we've ever seen. Any additions they make just help the cause.

Good enough to win it all as is? Yes.

Grab your sacks and get it.
But they lost a one goal game on the road without their best defenseman.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ballsy to massively overpay someone? No. What I consider ballsy would be trading a much loved prospect for someone to aid in a cup run and have it work out. That's ballsy.

Remember these guys?
forsberg2-640x427.jpg

duclair1.jpg

I'm not going down that route again. Not touching Vrana/Bowey/Samsonov unless it's a crazy offer we can't refuse.

It's the Hawks first win against the Caps since 2014 I believe. We beat them clean when they came to DC in October.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think they are a combo of two things away. One is a piece. The other is current players playing to potential and getting back to that play.

The thing I don't think the team is, is unlucky. Or snake bit. Or bad calls. Or away game excuses.

20-some roster and depth guys playing up to their potential when it actually matters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> one new guy

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I just don't get it. If the Caps are after a 4LW, then why we are waiting so long to add this 4LW? Shouldn't it be easier to add like Weber?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If Johansson keeps up his current level of play he should absolutely take precedence over Alzner.

Are you nuts?

Alzner needs to get locked up long term. He is a solid number two dman on any team in this league. Marge is easily replaced. Vrana or Barber can get started next season.

The team today looked poor and were trampled on by Chicago. I fully expect the GM of the team to do something that will help us level the playing field and compete. It looked like Men Vs Boys out there today sadly.

Do you mean the game they played today?

Dang I think we watched two different games if you do.

Last edited:

tmljeh19*

Remember these guys?
forsberg2-640x427.jpg

duclair1.jpg

I'm not going down that route again. Not touching Vrana/Bowey/Samsonov unless it's a crazy offer we can't refuse.

It's the Hawks first win against the Caps since 2014 I believe. We beat them clean when they came to DC in October.

So you're not willing to part with a goalie who won't sniff the NHL for at least 5 years to improve our best cup chance ever? Good to know. Hope you love never winning a cup bro.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why not both?

If the new guy means less chemistry and therefore a team NOT playing up to potential, or the price is too high, then it's not worth it. If the coach and players can do the job without complicated moves for one minor piece, the risk/reward in a move makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad