Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I love this idea that we are "risk aversive" with BMac.

Niskanen, Orpik, Williams, Oshie, Richards....

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Think they are done in the back end, but man picking up a player like Hanzal would be a game changer.

I wonder if the Yotes would do Marge for Hanzal straight up? Maybe the Caps throw in a low level prospect or Carrick as a sweetener.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Don't trade Mojo for Hanzal...I'd love Hanzal, butuse your 2nd round picks and any prospect not named Bowey, Vrana, or Samsonov....

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
But they didn't win...

They gave up like ALL their draft picks. You know who we have gotten with mid to late 1st round draft picks?

Carlson, Green, Kuznetsov, Bura, Mojo, Varlamov (Forsberg), etc (I'm SURE Samasonov and Vrana are going to be studs)

We draft better than any team post lockout with those 1st rounders. A 1st rounder we hold is worth ALOT more to us.

Example:

Would you have given up Callahan, Kuznetsov and Carlson to make 2 runs with an old Marty St Louis and not even won??

Let's agree on disagree. I think the Rags had successful 4 years even though they didn't win (it's just show how hard to win the Lord Stanley).

As for 2 runs with MLS, we absolutely need that at this point. We don't need future Carlsons, Kuznetsovs and Callahans (don't know how Callahan ended up here), we need deep runs. Preferably at least 2 times

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Here is what i'm thinking. BM was looking for wings but they are too pricey right now. Mojo can move to wing so they are looking for a C.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Let's agree on disagree. I think the Rags had successful 4 years even though they didn't win (it's just show how hard to win the Lord Stanley).

As for 2 runs with MLS, we absolutely need that at this point. We don't need future Carlsons, Kuznetsovs and Callahans (don't know how Callahan ended up here), we need deep runs. Preferably at least 2 times

We don't? Was that the thinking behind throwing Forsberg out in a trade?

EVERY team needs future "those guys"

RE: Callahan...Rangers traded Callahan and 2 1sts (Kuznetsov and Carlson) for St Louis.

With the way we "hit" on mid-late first rounders its dumb for us to trade those unless its in a deal that significantly makes us better and none of what I'm reading do.

RE: losing MJ for Hanzal. Ha! I'd take the younger, faster, and less injury prone player every day. Hanzal is going to go all "Eric Fehr" on us.

so obviously the question is, who do you want more? johansson or hanzal?

Hanzal will get injured game 4 of the playoffs and be out. I'll take MJ easily. Hanzal can't even stay healthy. He's no good to us in the press box.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
so obviously the question is, who do you want more? johansson or hanzal?

Hanzal is a better fit for a bottom 6 role and he's cost controlled. But he's injury prone.

I'd take the risk of Hanzal even though in a vacuum, 90 is probably the better player at this point.

Hanzal is also almost twice as productive in the postseason as 90. And im sure the fancystats make that even more of a difference.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Hanzal is injury-prone and would cost a lot. And they're not moving Johansson :shakehead

I'd rather try for Gordon @ 50% retained. He's currently on IR, but he's won 57% of his face-offs this year (which is his career average). They'd just need to figure out how to fit his $1.5m cap hit once he's healthy.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
While Backstrom is only 28, Oshie is only 29 and look at him. Post-peak is post-peak and those without great skating will be caught at a disadvantage as they age. The NHL won't get the point of the NFL but it's going to be coming. It's yet another reason why teams should covet early draft picks and development. Not only do you get cheaper players but most likely you're getting their best years within that 18-27 year old time span.

There are exceptions but I don't tend to think we'll see too many more Mike Knuble type late bloomers. It's a younger man's game and it's a speed game. Veterans can compensate with conditioning and intelligence to stick around and thrive but poor skating is as tough an obstacle to overcome as ever.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
MJ. Hanzel is a solid player but he gets injured too much.

Yeah looking at his player sheet you are correct. :(

Hanzal is injury-prone and would cost a lot. And they're not moving Johansson :shakehead

You may be right about this season, but I will be shocked if he isn't moved this summer. They just can't afford him.

Yotes board thinks Gordon is done for the season so he is a non-starter.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Hanzal has another year at 3.5m, is a superior 3C and Mojo is a RFA poised to cash in.

I understand the interest.

Are the Caps willing to pay Mojo 4-5M to be the 3C?

Probably not wise...

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They can deal for Hanzal and then move Mojo in the offseason...

Better 3C at a cheaper price.

Makes a lot of sense actually.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
You may be right about this season, but I will be shocked if he isn't moved this summer. They just can't afford him.

Richards gives $1m of cap space. Chimera gives $2m of cap space. Johansson will probably come in around $4.5m, which leaves $2.25m for the Orlov and Wilson contracts. And they could move or buy-out Laich.

They can afford Johansson. He's not going anywhere.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Richards gives $1m of cap space. Chimera gives $2m of cap space. Johansson will probably come in around $4.5m, which leaves $2.25m for the Orlov and Wilson contracts. And they could move or buy-out Laich.

They can afford Johansson. He's not going anywhere.

No they can't. Not long-term. They'll need to pay Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Alzner, etc.

They can't afford a borderline 5M 3rd line C.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
No they can't. Not long-term. They'll need to pay Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Alzner, etc.

They can't afford a borderline 5M 3rd line C.

And they'll get rid of Oshie, Laich, Williams, and dump Orpik...? That's over $16m in cap space. I'm not seeing the issue. Johansson at $4.5m is only a $0.750m raise...

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
And they'll get rid of Oshie, Laich, Williams, and dump Orpik...? That's over $16m in cap space. I'm not seeing the issue. Johansson at $4.5m is only a $0.750m raise...

Do the math.

Kuznetsov is looking squarely at 7-8 million, Alzner probably around 4, Burakovsky anywhere from 3-6 (he could break-out next year).

Then they'll need to replace Oshie, Williams, and Orpik.

You still want them paying a 3rd C 4.5 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->