Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmljeh19*

Why would we trade Samsonov in particular, when we have tons of other assets that could interest other teams? Who would you trade him for? You still haven't answered that question.

If there was an obvious move to make, it would've been done a long time ago. GMBM doesn't mess around, he prepared himself wayyyy before the TDL. Orpik, Niskanen, Oshie, Williams, Richards, Chorney, Weber. What else do you want?

Carlson coming off LTIR in 3-4 weeks means we are pretty much done for now.

Idk who he'd fetch. I don't get paid to figure that out. GMBM does.

And I've said a million times. I want an upgrade to the 3rd line with someone who can play on the 2nd

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
We won't know if they do or not until the crucial moments happen. These are still the players that mostly haven't gotten it done when it matters. Kuznetsov has the right ice in his veins in key moments and Williams has been a big game player but the top line is a massive issue. Oshie has no real playoff record of success and Backstrom's is only so-so. Their defense is probably a bit overrated when it comes down to it and it's hard to say how advantageous their depth will be both after deadline improvements elsewhere and in more intense conditions.

The playoffs involve pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone and this team has a long record of not being able to get into that zone when it matters. Probably most crucially, Trotz also has a history of his teams not going on a run. It's not easy and all of their banked regular season points won't get them any advantage other than home ice. A lot of it's mental. That's an area they've tried to address re: b2bs but they really need to start tightening up overall.

Ovechkin always gets the job done, but the rest of the older guys who have been around for a while don't have as much playoff success. I think our best shot in the playoffs will be when Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Orlov, Schmidt, etc. can step up and provide scoring. Kuzy contributed big time last season, and I expect more of it this year. Hopefully the rest of the young guys can do the same this time.

If the current "core" can't get it done then no trade will fix that. Only adding more talent will do it, and that switch is already underway, with Kuznetsov/Burakovsky/Orlov/Schmidt in the NHL and Vrana/Bowey/Barber in the AHL.

tmljeh19*

welp, if that's it, i even don't know what to think. On other hand, would you, guys, do versteeg for Barber and 5th rounder? I think Barber > Zykov

Would have taken Versteeg in a heartbeat.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Idk who he'd fetch. I don't get paid to figure that out. GMBM does.

And I've said a million times. I want an upgrade to the 3rd line with someone who can play on the 2nd

Then don't complain for the sake of complaining. None of the players traded so far were realistic targets for us.
The only player that matches your criteria and is a good fit overall is Komarov. I want us to pursue him but if we're not going to put Carlson on the shelf until the playoffs, forget Komarov.

tmljeh19*

Then don't complain for the sake of complaining. None of the players traded so far were realistic targets for us.
The only player that matches your criteria and is a good fit overall is Komarov. I want us to pursue him but if we're not going to put Carlson on the shelf until the playoffs, forget Komarov.

You don't have to. Give them Laich. Laich, pick and Samsonov.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
How can a 94 point team by February not having something close to resembling "it"?

This is the best Caps team we've ever seen. Any additions they make just help the cause.

Good enough to win it all as is? Yes.

Grab your sacks and get it.

THIS!!!

There is no magic bullet here... No trade that makes all the difference. If they can improve the team, I want them too. Of course they should ice the best possible team, but at the end of the day this is a great team, but they just need to get it done.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Pretty much my thoughts as well. She thinks too much into every quote GMBM gives

I would agree with that. She hasn't been on the beat as long as the other writers which might be part of the reason that happens.

Still think she is a pretty good beat writer, but man we were lucky to have Prewitt

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think Samsonov was ranked top 1 or 2 goalie prospect in the world not in NHL, don't think we are going to give him up so easy but who knows. maybe he's the plan after holtbys contract is up and we aren't paying him like Lundqvist.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You don't have to. Give them Laich. Laich, pick and Samsonov.

The Leafs haven't been shopping him, and he's not a rental. If Laich was not involved in the trade, they would consider it. Adding more would make the trade a huge sacrifice, for a minor improvement. It's not like the roster has gaping holes to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad