Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt2)(2/29-Laich traded!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I've come to really like Johansson these past few months, but I know he'll be gone this summer. If I'm him, I go to FA and watch a desperate team throw a 5 year $5M contract at my feet.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Do the math.

Kuznetsov is looking squarely at 7-8 million, Alzner probably around 4, Burakovsky anywhere from 3-6 (he could break-out next year).

Then they'll need to replace Oshie, Williams, and Orpik.

You still want them paying a 3rd C 4.5 million?

Sure. This is why I don't want to trade prospects .... we already have a few of those replacements waiting in Hershey.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
No they can't. Not long-term. They'll need to pay Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Alzner, etc.

They can't afford a borderline 5M 3rd line C.

If Johansson keeps up his current level of play he should absolutely take precedence over Alzner.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If Johansson keeps up his current level of play he should absolutely take precedence over Alzner.

He shouldn't, you don't put a #3C ahead of a top 4 Dman in terms of priorities. Find a relatively cheap alternative around $3.5M for the #3C spot and commit the money to Kuznetsov in priority.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

A top 4 defensive D in Alzner is more valuable than Johansson, whose level of play is roughly the same as it's always been.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Alzner is a perfectly fine defenseman, but I think he's replaceable. Its for the same reason I don't care for Orpik's game, though Alzner certainly is better.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
haha, we are arguing essentially to be or not to be

general-chang.jpg

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Let me elaborate some more:

I think center is the most important position on the ice, and having 3 solid to great centers makes for a very good team. I think Mojo needs to have a good postseason before I would commit to him, but if he does I think a good 3C is more important than a second pairing defensive D so I'd rather commit to Mojo.

Alzner is fine. He's not bad. But he's not good. He's thoroughly average and I would not want to commit big bucks to a stay at home D.

tmljeh19*

I love this idea that we are "risk aversive" with BMac.

Niskanen, Orpik, Williams, Oshie, Richards....

I'm sorry but once again it doesn't take balls to opens check book or ship out a 3rd line wing no one wanted here.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014

I think center is the most important position on the ice, and having 3 solid to great centers makes for a very good team. I think Mojo needs to have a good postseason before I would commit to him, but if he does I think a good 3C is more important than a second pairing defensive D so I'd rather commit to Mojo.

Alzner is fine. He's not bad. But he's not good. He's thoroughly average and I would not want to commit big bucks to a stay at home D.

Disagree here. Alzner is not on the level of Vlasic, but he is an excellent stay-at-home defenseman. And he's got decent puck skills, etc. so he's more suited to the "new" NHL than Orpik.

Also, if we drop Alzner, we literally have nobody that can replace him except Siegenthaler.

I do agree that Johansson is a good 3C to have behind Backstrom and Kuznetsov and having strong center depth is crucial.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Reading trough this thread it's no different then last year at this time when we were bantering on here for BMAC to just do something and we ended up with GlenX for a 2nd and a 3rd. And of course there was the Nashville fleecing done to GMGM that had us all on the edge of our seat well after the TDL 3:00PM had come and gone and GMGM with his teaser press conference at 5:00PM to announce the big acquisition. Lessons learned - no thanks to making a move just for the sake of making a move.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012

Except he's a first pairing defenseman for us on our shutdown pair. A 3C over a 1st pairing defenseman is absolutely ridiculous.

You can't win with a team of Orlovs. It sounds like you can only appreciate offense.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm sorry but once again it doesn't take balls to opens check book or ship out a 3rd line wing no one wanted here.

GMs have lost their jobs for making bad signings. The Orpik and Niskanen signings were very controversial at the time, and some people still think the Orpik contract is a huge burden. Imagine, you just got appointed as GM of a talented but underachieving team. Your first move is to give $11.25M to two defensemen, one of whom appeared to be declining sharply. That's bold.

It turned out well in the end, but he took a significant risk by giving huge contracts like that right away. Imagine if Orpik was complete crap. What now? You buy him out and you have $2.5M of dead cap space until 2023, after Ovechkin's contract expires? You don't call that a ballsy move?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
With MJ playing so well at 3C and the fact that we have 2 other guys who can play 3/4 C (Richards, Beagle) leads me to believe we will be looking at a winger if anything.

We have 8 D and unless they are deceiving us on Carlson's timeline for return I can't see us adding there.

Hanzal just doesn't make sense in terms of fit and the price he'll likely command much less issues like his injury history and potential chemistry issues from shipping someone out/bringing him in.

3RW to bump Wilson down? Meh...if we wanted to bump Wilson down why not just bump Beagle up? He can play RW and would add a FO presence on the 3rd line (Righty vs MJ's lefty)

4LW? Seems the most likely to upgrade on Laich but its not as if Laich has been terrible and that we are likely to find a 4LW demonstrably better in that ROLE.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Disagree here. Alzner is not on the level of Vlasic, but he is an excellent stay-at-home defenseman. And he's got decent puck skills, etc. so he's more suited to the "new" NHL than Orpik.

Also, if we drop Alzner, we literally have nobody that can replace him except Siegenthaler.

I do agree that Johansson is a good 3C to have behind Backstrom and Kuznetsov and having strong center depth is crucial.

Orlov has the potential to be a top pairing LD. I know you guys don't see it because you hate risky players, but he has all of the ablity to be PK Subban lite. Schmidt I'm not as high on but he could be a decent second pairing D.

I'd like to keep Alzner if the money works. But he doesn't provide as much value as a good 3C who can move up in the lineup if needed.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

:amazed: I believe that Alzner is something like the third leading shot blocker in the league. Alzner's game is that he's steady and consistent. You don't see too many times on here where posters will say Alzner had a rough game tonight, but just about all the other defenseman on this team have had those games where posters have called them out here on these boards. Just because his game is not as noticeable as some other defenseman does not make him any less valuable to this team. Alzner is consistent and durable. I would love another average d-man like Alzner on this team who anchors the defense like he does. Not Good? Really!:amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
:amazed: I believe that Alzner is something like the third leading shot blocker in the league. Alzner's game is that he's steady and consistent. You don't see too many times on here where posters will say Alzner had a rough game tonight, but just about all the other defenseman on this team have had those games where posters have called them out here on these boards. Just because his game is not as noticeable as some other defenseman does not make him any less valuable to this team. Alzner is consistent and durable. I would love another average d-man like Alzner on this team who anchors the defense like he does. Not Good? Really!:amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Shot blocks are not a good stat, it means the other team has the puck a lot. Dan Girardi is always near the top of the league in blocked shots, doesn't mean he's not washed up.

Alzner doesn't turn the puck over much, but he doesn't make any plays either. When's the last time he's made a nice stretch pass or contributed meaningfully offensively?

Again, he is a fine enough player but I would not prioritize him over Mojo if Mojo keeps playing this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille