Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So to recap, just today we have had the Isles say through the press that the price for Ladd is too high, the Panthers say in the press that the price is too high, and the Caps have said that they are unsure if a guy like Ladd could impact the team.

One of these things is not like the other. That's why I'm kinda thinking if they trade laich they may may may try ladd

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That seems awfully steep a price for a 4th line rental.

Well then add on the other side. That's why I asked what you get for that, when the question was which prospect might be going out. If we can move Laich and lose nobody, of course that's preferable.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
They just threw some decent money and term at Holtby, and Grubauer is a perfect backup who would be wise to stick around for a few years while this team competes for a Cup. I have to believe it's Samsonov. His value is high right now, and he's a looooong way from cracking our lineup.

So what do Samsonov + Laich net you for a 4th line player that also lets Beagle come back and stay under the cap?

Samsonov makes the most sense to Toronto or Arizona if they are looking to ship Laich off to a team needing to eat his salary. Both teams have some bad goaltending depth.

Edit: This was posted on the main board thread: Laich, Samsonov for Komarov, 2nd

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Samsonov makes the most sense to Toronto or Arizona if they are looking to ship Laich off to a team needing to eat his salary. Both teams have some bad goaltending depth.

Right. It fits more with Toronto, imo, unless AZ needs to hit the cap floor next year. I haven't looked.

The list of target teams has probably grown a tiny bit, as a few are closer to being out of the playoff race, but every other team in the league is likely coming at them with similar proposals for their assets and/or the chance to unload their own cap anchors. It could take a little sweetener to get the thing done, especially since bringing back Beagle appears to be a priority (unless they can stash him on IR until the playoffs, which I doubt given that he's been rumored to return soon).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Edit: This was posted on the main board thread: Laich, Samsonov for Komarov, 2nd

Samsonov makes no sense unless it's JVR or something of that caliber.

I don't think taking Laich's salary for 1 year is that much of an hinderance in a deal they need to self-fleece.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Samsonov makes no sense unless it's JVR or something of that caliber.

I don't think taking Laich's salary for 1 year is that much of an hinderance in a deal they need to self-fleece.

Komarov has term and could play up and down the lineup. Adding a 2nd onto the deal would make it a little more attractive. Komarov and Wilson on separate lines would be a nightmare for most teams to face

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
A slight part of me would see it as tough to see Laich go despite his poor play/contract since he's been here through it all but it's now or never for the Caps. If moving him improves their chance to win this year you absolutely do it. Laich is making over 4 million per year, he'll be just fine. Give him a nice video tribute upon his return and thank him for his time.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Mirtle's mostly a Toronto writer. Smoke...

I've got to think Grabner would cost substantially less than Komarov to acquire and the former being a rental means they'd have ample space to keep Chimera around. I like the Komarov contract and player but do they like him over Chimera and the assets required? Or would Komarov give them the flexibility to consider moving either Oshie or Johansson in the summer instead?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Well then add on the other side. That's why I asked what you get for that, when the question was which prospect might be going out. If we can move Laich and lose nobody, of course that's preferable.

Yeah a pick could come back the other way, but it just seems like bad asset management to trade him away for a marginal return.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mirtle's mostly a Toronto writer. Smoke...

I've got to think Grabner would cost substantially less than Komarov to acquire and the former being a rental means they'd have ample space to keep Chimera around. I like the Komarov contract and player but do they like him over Chimera and the assets required? Or would Komarov give them the flexibility to consider moving either Oshie or Johansson in the summer instead?

Interesting thoughts. I have to think Chimmer is gonzo. I doubt he's going to get amount or term with the players the Caps will need to re-sign. Komarov and his contract then make a fair bit of sense.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Toronto makes the most sense as a team to take Laich - blowing up their current vets, young team, not intent on winning soon, wealthy franchise but won't be near the cap because involved in a multi-year rebuild. And they'd likely view Laich as helpful to their young guys. Canadian media has always seemed to like Laich.

That said, the whole thing could just be BMac oversharing a bit - but it sure did sound like a "he's gonna be gone" thing, which also may have contributed to some of the team's flat play last night. Dealing a guy who's been a fixture with the organization since the team was blown up in 2003-04 is naturally gone shake guys up at just how seriously its chances are viewed by the brass.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think its hilarious that BMac says he is happy with his top 3 lines.

Up and Atom 4th liners.

hqdefault.jpg

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
"We're happy with our top three lines and two-thirds of our fourth line. We're also happy with our defensive corps, our two goalies, our coaching staff, our training staff, and our social-media crew."

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Rangers 4th liners have schooled us in playoffs in each of our last 3 losses to them. Hasn't escaped BMAc

bobbybobcat11

Feb 11, 2010
I wonder how Vanecek plays into GMBM's decision here. Holtby is locked up for 5 years, Grubauer is waiting the wings, Samsonov has at least another 2 years in the KHL. By the time Grubauer is gone (I don't think he'll want to be a career back up and seems to have the potential to be a starter on another team), do you think the management will be confident that Vanecek will be ready to be up in the NHL as a backup? I think Samsonov will turn out to be the better prospect of the two, but Vanecek has shown some potential and we really have 5 years before he needs to be developed unless something goes seriously awry.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
Rangers 4th liners have schooled us in playoffs in each of our last 3 losses to them. Hasn't escaped BMAc

The Isle's 4th line gave us a lot of trouble too, I think the need for an upgrade there is clear. I have fond memories of Laich in his prime but his contract is an anchor and just being a good PKer isn't enough in the playoffs when you can't deliver anything 5 on 5

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/40/toronto-maple-leafs

That is a good tank!

I mean, Grabner is a first liner there atm :P

Komarov strikes me as some kind of Hendricks. I'm not sure he will be much effective in playoffs. But he played on a line with Ovi and Nicky at KHL. Maybe there is a certain amount of skill in him. But I doubt he's a piece worth keeping for 2 more seasons after this.

So Grabner naturally is a better fit. And there is some possibility he catches a four leaf clover just before the playoffs and goes on a scoring rampage, right?

Also, retaining 1M of Laich's salary will be enough for Caps too. Not that Toronto needs that but if it's a trade with another team it could be deciding factor.

The whole trade is Laich +2nd for Grabner. Sounds reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad