Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Wtf happening? Why are we talking about trading Carlson? Who will trade their "better than Carlson" player to us to help us win the Cup? Since when he has become a problem?

No one is suggesting Carlson this season.

People are suggesting that we may trade Carlson in the offseason a year or so from now. This is because a) we'll have to re-sign lots of other players b) he isn't as consistent as some would like and may not necessarily be worth the money he asks for c)he'll have high trade value.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

People are suggesting that we may trade Carlson in the offseason a year or so from now. This is because a) we'll have to re-sign lots of other players b) he isn't as consistent as some would like and may not necessarily be worth the money he asks for c)he'll have high trade value.

He will have a trade value. Sure. But who will play #1D instead? Bowey?

tmljeh19*

1st line. Ovechkin isn't a physical presence? Oshie? Ovechkin is epic in that regard and Oshie is relentless. Lets not treat backstrom like some donut either. He decked Seguin yesterday enough to fully piss Seguin off
2nd line. Williams isn't a slouch.
3rd line. Chimera is a load. He is fast and he hits. He grinds. Wilson....Beagle is big. He plays big.

The Caps forward bunch is far more physical than one guy.

Ovechkin, Oshie, Williams, Chimera and Beagle have a physical aspect to their game but they are far from a classical "tough guy". Williams is the closet thing we have but he's still counted on to be a key offensive cog to the team.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Ovechkin, Oshie, Williams, Chimera and Beagle have a physical aspect to their game but they are far from a classical "tough guy". Williams is the closet thing we have but he's still counted on to be a key offensive cog to the team.

I hope you mean Wilson.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
From the previous version, I've been on the Polak bandwagon for a while. But JVR doesn't do it for me. Too much of a finesse player without any real bottom 6 utility. Despite how he's being absurdly overvalued by Leafs' fans, I think Komarov is a much better fit.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Count me out on Roman Polak. He's a worse version of Orpik and you guys know how I feel about Orpik. I'd much rather go after a guy like Hamhuis who is actually good at defensive hockey (moving the puck up ice and puck possession).

Also I really want to see Kuznetsov on the top line before the playoffs start to see if that line still has chemistry. He has the most primary assists in the NHL so why not have him setting up the best goal scorer in the league?

Backstrom/Williams can then go against other teams' top lines and still manage well I think.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They are all good things compared to the alternatives (not blocking a shot, not protecting the front of the net, losing board battles, and allowing the opposition to have the puck). But having to do these things a lot generally means his team doesn't have the puck and that is bad come playoff time especially.

In general Polak has been a possession black hole and he doesn't even have the excuse Orpik has of drawing the toughest competition. He's drawn middling competition and performed terribly, who exactly would he replace on the Caps? Certainly no one in the top 6 and I think Chorney is easily better than him as well.

Hamhuis is an immediate upgrade to several of our players, I'd rather target a guy like him as a defensive defensemen.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd rather have Andrew Ladd than Leo Komarov, but there's a bit of a cost-benefit difference there.

Polak and Hamhuis aren't in the same realm of cost.

And over-reliance on possession and possession stats is problematic. If it was a good approach, traditional scouts wouldn't exist in the NHL. There are other factors to consider, such as style of play, toughness, physicality, etc.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

physical presence is code for tough guy? which is code for fighter. Caps don't need a fighter

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Polak isn't an upgrade over anyone currently in the lineup aside of Chorney. Unless Orpik totally tanks upon return, he'd be the #7. I'd rather get a cheaper option for #7.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carlson is a subpar "1D" and the team could absolutely use an upgrade over him. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a more effective D for his <$4M cap hit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Carlson is a subpar "1D" and the team could absolutely use an upgrade over him. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a more effective D for his <$4M cap hit.

I agree with this, however, let me say the following.

Defensemen don't develop at the same pace as forwards. Nick Lidstrom is the best example of that. His career before the age of 25 was no better than Carlson's. Obviously, I don't expect Carlson or anyone playing the game right now to become as good as Lidstrom, but it's perfectly normal and acceptable for Carlson to be a below average #1D at the age of 26.

Teams go for years or even decades without a #1D. We have one, he's young and will be cost controlled for the majority of his prime, and some of you guys want to ditch him? More importantly, who would you replace him with? There are only a handful of RH two-way Dmen better than Carlson. Their names are Karlsson, Doughty, Subban etc. Replacing Carlson with an even better player is a pipe dream.

Defensemen like Carlson simply don't get traded or go to free agency. Who are the best Dmen to hit free agency in recent memory? Green and Niskanen. We let the first one go and we signed the second one to replace him. Neither are #1Ds.

Finally, the Caps' core has been clearly identified. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson and Kuznetsov. These 5 must be signed or extended in priority, everyone else comes after.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Finally, the Caps' core has been clearly identified. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson and Kuznetsov. These 5 must be signed or extended in priority, everyone else comes after.

I guarantee Caps management considers Alzner part of the core as well.

The core guys going forward (after next season) need to be Kuzy, Backstrom, Burka, Alzner, Wilson, Carlson, Vrana, Bowey, and if he progresses as they hope, Seigenthaler.

Holtby is also part of it but he is locked up so that is a given.

No GM in the league considers trading Carlson unless the return is incredible.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I guarantee Caps management considers Alzner part of the core as well.

The core guys going forward (after next season) need to be Kuzy, Backstrom, Burka, Alzner, Wilson, Carlson, Vrana, Bowey, and if he progresses as they hope, Seigenthaler.

Holtby is also part of it but he is locked up so that is a given.

No GM in the league considers trading Carlson unless the return is incredible.

Alexander Ovechkin with 21 goals in last 23 games raises his hand. Will you let him in your reality?

And I consider Alzner as core player too. He's our defensive stalwart.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Trading Carlson would be one of the dumbest moves the club can do. He would have a great trade value, but what form would it come in? Drew Doughty? Or some 1st line winger? Nah, it would be several picks, prospects and good depth players, and I don't think trading a star defenseman who's not nearly done improving for several average players is a move of a successful teams.
Right now we have all pieces to be an elite team, except for great bottom 6. With Ovechkin and Backstrom imminently declining, our strategy should be keeping the key pieces we have, while looking for the young guys to step up and replace the aging stars. Look at Detroit: after Zetterberg declined, Lidstrom retired and Datsyuk started missing half of the season every year, they are no longer a force. Carlson isn't perfect and may get overpaid, but an idea to trade him when we have Niskanen on a long $5.575M contract is beyond me.

The core guys going forward (after next season) need to be Kuzy, Backstrom, Burka, Alzner, Wilson, Carlson, Vrana, Bowey, and if he progresses as they hope, Seigenthaler. Holtby is also part of it but he is locked up so that is a given.
Whatever happens the next 2 playoffs, I don't think Ovechkin will be moved. Vrana, Bowey and especially Siegenthaler are way too early to be called a part of the core before playing an NHL game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin will never be moved, no matter how much he regresses. Washington DC is his kingdom, and the Caps are his team. He can stay here for as long as he wants. The only way he would leave DC is if he was going to chase the Cup with another team, or going back to Russia.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I might be in the minority here...but don't Alzner and Nisk have the tougher assignments during games?

I'll keep a closer eye, but I normally see Alzner/Nisk out against the other teams 1st line, not Carlson/Schmidt.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah they have had the tougher assignments and have generally done pretty well. They are the #1 pair now even if they don't put up as many points as Carlson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad