Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
When I see the price the Jets ask for Ladd, it makes me cool down. I wouldn't give up 1st + Vrana + Laich for Ladd.

Honestly I think we're good to go. Trade Galiev and get a rental bottom 6 player so that we don't have to play scrubs like Sill in the playoffs.

1st and Vrana, no.

1st and Galiev/Barber? Yes.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It's natural to overrate deadline players, but Ladd is certainly an upgrade over several Caps and is the ideal playoff addition.

Aside from being a heralded leader...

60 pts last season would have put him 3rd on Caps. Before that he broke 50 pts. 40 pts. 50pts. and 50 pts.

Playing for ****ing Winnipeg/Atlanta.

Those are 2nd line forward, borderline 1st line forward numbers, while surrounded by scrubs.

Also worth noting that the last two premier deadline acquisitions won Stanley Cups -and played key roles to that end.

It's not just about improving your team, it's about separating yourself from the pack and keeping a key contributor away from the competition.

capsfan3

Feb 2, 2015
Really don't want to give up Barber. always thought he had potential to be something great. Not worth a rental IMO.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's natural to overrate deadline players, but Ladd is certainly an upgrade over several Caps and is the ideal playoff addition.

Aside from being a heralded leader...

60 pts last season would have put him 3rd on Caps. Before that he broke 50 pts. 40 pts. 50pts. and 50 pts.

Playing for ****ing Winnipeg/Atlanta.

Those are 2nd line forward, borderline 1st line forward numbers, while surrounded by scrubs.

Winnipeg was a 99 point playoff team last season in a division that had 5 playoff teams. It's not like they were a bunch of scrubs. Just saying.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Naturally, MacLellan was asked about Brooks Laich. Said he's been a "good soldier" and loyal. But said it's a business, too. Ominous.

per Khurshudyan

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
sabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Just had a group chat with Brian MacLellan. Said nothing drastic will happen before Monday. He's happy with top-nine forwards.

Isabelle Khurshudyan
@ikhurshudyan
Naturally, MacLellan was asked about Brooks Laich. Said he's been a "good soldier" and loyal. But said it's a business, too. Ominous.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Also worth noting that the last two premier deadline acquisitions won Stanley Cups -and played key roles to that end.

It's not just about improving your team, it's about separating yourself from the pack and keeping a key contributor away from the competition.

Totally, winners are always improving.

Fans ninnying about the price baffle me considering the last 10 years of playoff failure, the Caps last overall 1st rd pick and relative wealth of prospects.

If you don't want to make a splash now, then you never will.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Totally, winners are always improving.

Fans ninnying about the price baffle me considering the last 10 years of playoff failure, the Caps last overall 1st rd pick and relative wealth of prospects.

If you don't want to make a splash now, then you never will.

We may have a lot of prospects, but they drop off significantly after the top end guys. I'd be alright with losing Barber, Djoos, Boyd, Carrick etc. but I wouldn't want to move Vrana or Bowey. Both are going to be great NHL players

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
sabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Just had a group chat with Brian MacLellan. Said nothing drastic will happen before Monday. He's happy with top-nine forwards.

Isabelle Khurshudyan
@ikhurshudyan
What he meaning about laich?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I figured gmbm would be making his move today or tomorrow, but those latest tweets have me thinking he's hellbent on dumping Laich by the TDL and may not have any takers until that point, at which time he might have to surrender some chips to get it done.

In other words, Laich is gone for a bag of pucks by the closing bell on Monday if that's what it takes.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What he meaning about laich?

"It's a business" seems to mean that he thinks he's a great guy and all, but wouldn't be opposed to shipping him out.

Looks like they are trying to move him, especially by these tweets:

MacLellan said they're "going for it" this year and next year. After that, need to evaluate. It's a two-year window.

MacLellan said he'd "love to" have Forsberg now. But the organization needs to move on and can't get hung up on past mistakes.

Side note: how the hell do you embed tweets?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Galiev: MacLellan said they're afraid they'd lose him if he went on waivers. Said they're not ready to cut the cord with him.
11:46am - 25 Feb 16

Per khurysdan

So it's gonna be laich they move imo

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
"It's a business" seems to mean that he thinks he's a great guy and all, but wouldn't be opposed to shipping him out.

Looks like they are trying to move him, especially by these tweets:

MacLellan said they're "going for it" this year and next year. After that, need to evaluate. It's a two-year window.

MacLellan said he'd "love to" have Forsberg now. But the organization needs to move on and can't get hung up on past mistakes.

Side note: how the hell do you embed tweets?

Put the numbers in the url only into the tweet box

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
We may have a lot of prospects, but they drop off significantly after the top end guys. I'd be alright with losing Barber, Djoos, Boyd, Carrick etc. but I wouldn't want to move Vrana or Bowey. Both are going to be great NHL players

Baffling first round picks the past 2 years definitely make this a tougher decision but I still think you have to go for it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You can't not be all business in the cap era. Laich is a huge problem for this season and next when they've openly stated this is their window.

It doesn't sound like there's much motivation to add a legit scoring forward piece, although I guess you can never rule it out. I think a more versatile all-around energy type like Komarov might be a better fit anyway. That way he can move all around the lineup depending on where it's needed or esp. if they're flat.

Mac also said Gomez isn't an option with the Caps. No surprise there.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

I agree with this. I'd include Samsonov on the list of guys I want to hold onto for the time being.

Adding to the fact that they have some guys they can afford to deal is their lack of roster space for some of those young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad