Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbybobcat11

Feb 11, 2010
I'd do Laich + 2nd for Grabner. Next couple of days will be interesting. Something is going to happen, just a matter of when. I feel bad for Laich - I'm sure he knows he's on his way out at this point. Gotta sting after 12 years. I will always have a soft spot for him - the tire change story will always come to mind and he's been a big part of defining who we are as a team over the last decade. If we end up in the finals, he deserves to be there just as much as Ovechkin (OK, not really but you understand). But, business is business and that $4.5 million needs to come off the books.

I wouldn't want to be the one to have to have that conversation with him. But I'm sure he's going to take it with the utmost class and go home to his beautiful wife and remember he's got life pretty good.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
Mirtle's mostly a Toronto writer. Smoke...

I've got to think Grabner would cost substantially less than Komarov to acquire and the former being a rental means they'd have ample space to keep Chimera around. I like the Komarov contract and player but do they like him over Chimera and the assets required? Or would Komarov give them the flexibility to consider moving either Oshie or Johansson in the summer instead?

Mirtle is pretty reliable from what I have read. He isn't a major rumor monger.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Thinking about the lineup. After getting Grabner it's still Latta as 13th forward. I guess GMBM can get another bottom-6 grinder, more physical than Grabner for example. Injuries will happen.

So Galiev+ for another depth player.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Listening back to MacLellan from earlier, he said the Capitals talked to Arizona about Vermette and Carolina about Sekera last year.

Khurysdan retweeted this info a few mins ago

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Listening back to MacLellan from earlier, he said the Capitals talked to Arizona about Vermette and Carolina about Sekera last year.

Khurysdan retweeted this info a few mins ago

So he must have thought his bid was not enough for Vermette and we didn't win because of that. Could lead to Bowey+Vrana+1st for Ladd ;)

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm a little confused about the Galiev situation now. A week ago I would have believed that it was certain that he would be part of some package going out but not so sure now. Trotz's recent comments about Galiev, Galiev being dressed the last two games (showcasing?) and Latta scratched and Galiev has not looked that bad in these games either.:dunno:

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
IMHO, we shouldn't trade our 1st and top 3 prospects. If there aren't right deals, we should stick with what we have and see how they perform in the playoffs. If they stink, then we should think about trading our top assets for impact players in the summer. We don't know what we have in our hands, probably that's enough for a deep run. If it's not, a top rental or bottom guy won't help. I think our problem now, we don't know what holes we have.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm a little confused about the Galiev situation now. A week ago I would have believed that it was certain that he would be part of some package going out but not so sure now. Trotz's recent comments about Galiev, Galiev being dressed the last two games (showcasing?) and Latta scratched and Galiev has not looked that bad in these games either.:dunno:

I wonder if they are just using the media to pump Galiev's tires. Maybe someone's interested in him as part of a package

bobbybobcat11

Feb 11, 2010
IMHO, we shouldn't trade our 1st and top 3 prospects. If there aren't right deals, we should stick with what we have and see how they perform in the playoffs. If they stink, then we should think about trading our top assets for impact players in the summer. We don't know what we have in our hands, probably that's enough for a deep run. If it's not, a top rental or bottom guy won't help. I think our problem now, we don't know what holes we have.

A severe lack of cap space to sign key guys in the offseason and $4.5 million in a 4LW that has 7 points in 58 games.

Plus, this is the year. Yeah, we might have next season too but we won't have as good of a shot as we do right now.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110545091&postcount=604

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110548983&postcount=610

Two month ago you were calling out other posters for wanting Laich gone. What changed your mind? Laich's play hasn't changed. The team's play hasn't changed (well, it's actually slightly improved)
At the time...I didn't think there was a chance management was even considering trading him and there wasn't an issue with being cap compliant.

2 months later....they need to move money and management is basically admitting Laich is the one they want to move (both from a production standpoint and business standpoint).

Im ok with him staying....completely fine with him staying. Like Bmac said....good soldier.

But if they are willing...and someone else is willing...it would be a shame not to move him.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

I wonder if they are just using the media to pump Galiev's tires. Maybe someone's interested in him as part of a package

Chicago, Philadelphia, San Jose, & Montreal (technically) had people there for both of the last two games.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110545091&postcount=604

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110548983&postcount=610

Two month ago you were calling out other posters for wanting Laich gone. What changed your mind? Laich's play hasn't changed. The team's play hasn't changed (well, it's actually slightly improved)

It's fine. I was the main guy getting the vitriol for pushing for Laich's departure then. I knew it would just take some time for everyone else to see it too (much like my George push a few seasons ago).

Laich's removal would mean that this team (via MacLellan's terrific moves) would be as close to a perfect ROI per player as I've ever seen for this franchise. That's the only way to win a Cup. And it's why this team is SO close :popcorn:

BPMrules

Nov 10, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Even if we stand pat, and don't do anything during the deadline, which I'm fine with, I'm really just glad McPhee isn't here anymore to royally botch any chance this team has of winning a cup by dealing for things we don't need.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

This is the Caps shot. Now. This year and next. We can't take a wait and see attitude, we just can't.

If Samsonov, Vanacek, or any prospect/pick is needed to add what they feel is necessary, then they need to do it.

I'm still on the JVR for Laich train. But my guess is that won't happen. So Grabner is fine.

Vanacek, Carrick and Laich for Grabner and PAP. Fills all holes, removes the off season headaches, and gives Toronto 2 young players that could add to their rebuild for 2018 and beyond.

Makes too much sense.

Apr 6, 2004
FWIW

Aivis Kalniņš @A_Kalnins (Hockey writer for One Puck Short covering - #KHL. Former analyst at LWOS)

Kovalchuk has told SKA that if he's not on roster in two days time he's terminating his contract and heading to North America

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
FWIW

Aivis KalniņÅ¡ @A_Kalnins (Hockey writer for One Puck Short covering - #KHL. Former analyst at LWOS)

Kovalchuk has told SKA that if he's not on roster in two days time he's terminating his contract and heading to North America

Nhl won't let him in. They need all 30 nhl gm approval as a start

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is the Caps shot. Now. This year and next. We can't take a wait and see attitude, we just can't.

If Samsonov, Vanacek, or any prospect/pick is needed to add what they feel is necessary, then they need to do it.

I'm still on the JVR for Laich train. But my guess is that won't happen. So Grabner is fine.

Vanacek, Carrick and Laich for Grabner and PAP. Fills all holes, removes the off season headaches, and gives Toronto 2 young players that could add to their rebuild for 2018 and beyond.

Makes too much sense.

What does a Laich for JVR trade look like?

Apr 6, 2004
Nhl won't let him in. They need all 30 nhl gm approval as a start

I know there's some type of approval required.

As for a potential trade, based on GMBM's statement that he's inclined to leave the top 6 alone and he likes the 3rd line .... There is 0 reason why Samsonov, Vrana and Bowey should even be discussed. This should be a pick / Carrick type prospect and nothing more. As someone said earlier, if Samsonov was going it should be for a Ladd / JVR type player that slots into the top 6 .... I don't see anything outside of a depth move.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I just don't see how they're happy with the 3rd line when Wilson is on it, and very much a 4th liner. They could add there.

I like Komarov, but dealing Samsonov for a role player is silly and unlikely. Actually, scarily similar to Forsberg for Erat.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think they're more likely to move their first rounder than Samsonov. Didn't they have Samsonov ranked in their top ten last year or something? I doubt they'll land a comparable talent between 26-30.

The one scenario where they might stack the fourth line with a legit top sixer is if they know they'll have to move the first rounder to get Laich off the books. In which case they could more easily justify the price by getting back a rental top sixer to pad depth. In a year where not many first rounders may be on the table, it might make sense. Arizona is said to be willing to retain some salary on Boedker. Would that fit? Ideally they don't have to move that level of asset but I wouldn't be surprised if they have to. I figure Chicago will move theirs but who else? Dallas? St. Louis? It won't be many.

JVR has been shut down for the rest of the season so count him out.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kovalchuk? An elite PKer?! Bwahahahaha.

Really, that sounds absurdly. I've read there could be some loophole (unconfirmed in his thread on trading board) that he can use. So signing with Devils before TDL. And going to waivers.

And who's the 1st on waiver order? Is it Toronto Lamoriellos already?

OK. Toronto claims Kovalchuk and trades him to Washington. Anyone wanna me to pass that pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad