Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Question: I know they need to trade laich but I'm wondering if trading him now means there's big need for that cap space. ( I mean like a lot of cap space). Why else be so rushing now (assuming they actually trying to trade him) they could just lose galiev

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Question: I know they need to trade laich but I'm wondering if trading him now means there's big need for that cap space. ( I mean like a lot of cap space). Why else be so rushing now (assuming they actually trying to trade him) they could just lose galiev

Option 1: Need the space for a TDL rental

Option 2: Need the space in the offseason for the Mojo/Orlov/Wilson contracts

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Sounds like he's going to try Laich + pick/prospect <---> Boyes/Komarov/Grabner type deal. I'd be okay with that, glad he's confident in Burakovsky.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Good. Protect the nuts. Don't give up the young players that will keep this club competitive for the next 4 or 5 seasons.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't move Vrana. I might think about Bowey, but only because Schmidt and Orlov have made him extra. There's basically no way I'm moving Burakovsky. He's a 30 goal+ scoring potential forward that they control for a while on cheap money. I'm also ok with moving a goalie, but I might lean towards keeping Samsonov only because his value should be higher down the road.

Players like Burakovsky and Vrana will make the team better in the long run because they have the veterans around them and only need support.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sounds like he's going to try Laich + pick/prospect <---> Boyes/Komarov/Grabner type deal. I'd be okay with that, glad he's confident in Burakovsky.

Komarov and Grabner would be ideal out of those 3 Toronto guys since both can play up the lineup if need be. Komarov would probably cost more on top of Laich given the fact that he has term and has been one of the few positive Leafs players.

Don't really know too much about Boyes. Can he play up the lineup as well? Caps were reportedly linked to him in the offseason before the Williams signing and Oshie trade

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Komarov and Grabner would be ideal out of those 3 Toronto guys since both can play up the lineup if need be. Komarov would probably cost more on top of Laich given the fact that he has term and has been one of the few positive Leafs players.

Don't really know too much about Boyes. Can he play up the lineup as well? Caps were reportedly linked to him in the offseason before the Williams signing and Oshie trade

If it's a bottom 6 add, I'd like to see Laich for Grabner for the PK ability.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm kinda enjoying the open talk.

It's tough for a player to hear he's on the chopping block, but Laich knows where the record stands. He doesn't do enough for his salary. Maybe on another team who aren't as loaded, he plays on the 3rd line with some PP time. Maybe he finds his offense.

But for the Caps, I think you have to look to move him if you can.

That said, you don't want to move a locker room guy if you can avoid it.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
Just to give more context on the Laich comments:

My guess/hope is that he's gone so we can re-activate Beagle and bring in another (cheaper) third/fourth line winger

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Gotta take the public words of someone in a negotiation with a grain of salt. Though GMBM has been pretty truthful IIRC.

Does anyone remember the things he said before last deadline?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just to give more context on the Laich comments:

My guess/hope is that he's gone so we can re-activate Beagle and bring in another (cheaper) third/fourth line winger

See ya, Brooksie. He's gone for sure. And it'll probably be a modest acquisition if any, if not just a cap clearing move based on the other comments.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm just a little nervous who the prospect/pick might be

They just threw some decent money and term at Holtby, and Grubauer is a perfect backup who would be wise to stick around for a few years while this team competes for a Cup. I have to believe it's Samsonov. His value is high right now, and he's a looooong way from cracking our lineup.

So what do Samsonov + Laich net you for a 4th line player that also lets Beagle come back and stay under the cap?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not getting my hopes up that Laich is definitely gone in the next four days. They've probably been working on it for a while and it's likely going to come down to just how much they're comfortable paying to get it off the books. Certainly it's a priority but hard to say that it's necessarily a lock.

Buffalo's McGinn could be another option given the Pegula bucks and Murray's interest in loading up picks. I suppose Greening could be another Toronto option given his contract, though that doesn't help much for next year. (He'd be a cheaper buyout at least.)

I've wondered a bit about Hartnell. He's not a depth guy but there's the Trotz connection plus the potential with a decent run to maybe flip him in the summer. It's a longshot but that's a contract-for-contract type swap that might not require much else included. I've got to think their top priority is not taking on term while moving Laich but it will cost to do so.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
So to recap, just today we have had the Isles say through the press that the price for Ladd is too high, the Panthers say in the press that the price is too high, and the Caps have said that they are unsure if a guy like Ladd could impact the team.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
They just threw some decent money and term at Holtby, and Grubauer is a perfect backup who would be wise to stick around for a few years while this team competes for a Cup. I have to believe it's Samsonov. His value is high right now, and he's a looooong way from cracking our lineup.

So what do Samsonov + Laich net you for a 4th line player that also lets Beagle come back and stay under the cap?

That seems awfully steep a price for a 4th line rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad