Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Why is there always so much vitriol for Gormley? Is there something he did I don't know about?

Because he's terrible at his job. He's not knowledgeable about the sport or the Caps, he's not a good writer, and he speaks/acts like a nervous college intern whose doing his first TV bit every time he's on the screen. Pretty sure this is Gormley in his college days.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Assuming no deals at the trade deadline, or at best depth acquisitions that will be in the press box if everyone is healthy:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov/Backstrom-Oshie
Burakovsky-Kuznetsov/Backstrom-Williams
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson
Laich-Beagle-Latta

Richards
Galiev

Defensemen
1. Alzner-Niskanen
2a. Orlov-Schmidt
2b. Orpik/Chorney-Carlson

Orpik/Chorney
Ness

Goalies
Holtby
Grubauer

1. I'm not really sure who between Backstrom and Kuz I want as the 1C. Both have shown chemistry with Ovechkin and Oshie. 8-92-77 is incredibly dynamic but I'm not sure how that would affect the chemistry that is currently present on the second line.

2. I think Latta is a slightly better player than Richards right now and would prefer him in the lineup. That could change if Richards shakes off the rust, but right now I think I prefer Latta. Beagle would be a great 4C and Laich is a fine 4LW.

3. Alzner-Niskanen has been the top pair for a while now and they have done a great job, no need to change that. Carlson needs to shake off some rust and until he can do that he shouldn't play above second pairing minutes (but he should get 1PP duties). Orlov and Schmidt work well together and have shown they handle second pairing minutes very well. Orpik needs to prove he can beat out Chorney before I put him in the starting lineup. He's a pro and should handle a healthy scratch like a pro if Chorney plays better than him down the stretch.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks goodness.

Mike Vogel @VogsCaps
#Caps statement on Kuznetsov, 1/2: “During the end of the third period, Evgeny underwent and passed all tests pertaining to the league’s ...

Mike Vogel @VogsCaps
2/2 ... concussion protocol evaluation. We expect him to take the morning skate tomorrow and play against the Stars later that night.â€

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Glad they actually followed the protocol and took care of their player, unlike the Flames.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Doesn't Kuz where a shield

Yes but it looked like he took a butt-end right under the helmet and at the top of the shield, pretty hard. The replay on the telecast last night showed it a bit better than the tweet that was posted.

I was also worried about the eye. I guess we'll see. :snide:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
this is going to end up folded back to the lineup, but Backstrom plays with Oshie and OV because Trotz very often likes to use them as the matchup line vs the opposing top line. Kuzy is not up to that as a center nor Burt as a winger.

Moving 19 kills that option

Nonsense. For all intents and purposes, Bura is no worse at defense than Ovi at this point. I don't think Trotz would have any problems rolling Bura-Backstrom-Williams against any line.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nonsense. For all intents and purposes, Bura is no worse at defense than Ovi at this point. I don't think Trotz would have any problems rolling Bura-Backstrom-Williams against any line.

I don't think that would be a problem since Backstrom and Williams are both great defensively. Trotz won't do it though. I don't see Burakovsky ever on the ice very late in a game where they are protecting a lead. (Someone tell me if i'm wrong (/blind) but i can't remember seeing him on the ice late in a tight game).

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Just to recap:

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Williams
Chimera - Johansson - Wilson
Laich - Richards - Beagle

Alzner - Niskanen
Orpik - Carlson
Orlov - Schmidt

Holtby - Grubauer

Latta - Galiev - Chorney

I don't mind to keep trying it (Kuz on top line), but ultimately it may be better to keep 2nd line as is, because it has clear chemistry.

Kuz on top line had some moments, but overall they weren't really anywhere near dominant. And Backstrom with Williams... good defensively, but again, nothing particularly great on offense. They look good on paper with Bura, but Kuz creates space on that line with his movement, Backstrom can't, so I don't know if they'd be able to generate consistent chances.

I don't really like the 1st line as it is right now, but might have to keep it simply because the other lines have found good chemistry...

Though, I am always in favor of trying new combos, who knows what they might stumble upon...

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think that would be a problem since Backstrom and Williams are both great defensively. Trotz won't do it though. I don't see Burakovsky ever on the ice very late in a game where they are protecting a lead. (Someone tell me if i'm wrong (/blind) but i can't remember seeing him on the ice late in a tight game).

Well, right now Ovi has Backstrom and Bura has Kuz, this might have something to do with it. If the centers were switched, might see Bura out there.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
With the way Kuzy was writhing in pain, I was MUCH more worried about an eye issue than a concussion. Concussed guys aren't that active.

So long as the concussed player isn't unconscious, they can be plenty active. Nor is there anything preventing a concussed player from also suffering an eye injury.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
So long as the concussed player isn't unconscious, they can be plenty active. Nor is there anything preventing a concussed player from also suffering an eye injury.

CAN be, but if you've ever been concussed you would know you're disoriented. Typically, if a concussed player is going to writhe on the ice it's in a slower manner.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Basically since Orlov came into the league in 2011-12 he has outperformed Orpik in every major metric, offensively and defensively. You can choose to ignore or downplay the stats if you want. I've already linked to articles showing that over the long run QOC and Zone Starts basically don't matter unless a player only starts in the offensive or defensive zone or if a player only faces top competition.

Some may be generally interested in reading these articles that prove that like me, so please post again.

**Generally IMO cross comparing people with different teams and therefore different tactics, teammates, and roles is not generally a good idea.**

Since 2011-12 Orlov has started 28.1% of the time in the defensive zone, 37.5% of the time in the neutral zone, and 34.2% of the time in the offensive zone. Orpik's breakdown is 31.0% in the defensive zone, 40.5% in the neutral zone, and 28.4% in the offensive zone. So while Orpik has slightly more defensive zone starts, it's not as significant as people think.

I am just going to assume that your numbers are correct from here on out and comment on them.

The importance is not necessarily that Orlov and Orpik have similar defensive zone %s, its that Orlov gets more starts in the offensive zone (where it is reasonable to get shot attempts right away and almost impossible to get shots against right away) than himself in the defensive zone. And the opposite is true of Orpik.

In the raw data here, it looks like Orlov starts in ozone 6.1% more times than in the defensive zone. Meanwhile Orpik starts in the offensive zone -2.6% more times. That is a spread of 8.7%.

In actuality, Orlov starts in the offensive zone 54.9% of the time compared to defensive zone, which by itself is a spread of almost 10. Orpik, meanwhile, is at 47.8% offensive zone starts which is a difference of about 4. That is not insignificant, and especially when you re talking about 4 or 5 years of data, that is a lot of zone starts.

With regards to quality of competition, Orpik's opponents have averaged 50.3% score-adjusted corsi over their careers, Orlov's opponents have averaged 49.8%. However with quality of teammates, Orpik's teammates have averaged 51.3% score-adjusted corsi (playing with Crosby, Letang, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom) while Orlov's teammates have only averaged 49.8% (playing mostly without first line stars).

Using the stat that needs context to provide the context for that exact same stat is...Some other quality of competition needs to be used TOI% or G%. Neither of them are fool proof which makes controlling for them tough. That's the rub.

Using a career corsi% is also somewhat strange considering it does not take into account anything about any current tactics or current usage. These current things effect the game, do they not.

So basically the QOC is at BEST a wash and more likely actually favors Orlov because his teammates have been equal with the competition, whereas Orpik has played with teammates better than his competition on average.

Despite your choice of QOC, Orpik still sports a half a percentage point difference which doesn't seem significant, but because as samples get larger, the sample means tend to gravitate toward the population mean, so half a percentage point could very well mean something.

QOT is interesting but you again used career Corsi which tells me nothing about those teams and players at the time the Orpik or Orlov data was gathered. Those Penguins teams were not very good shot attempt wise, but a large portion of the career data for guys like Malkin and Crosby (and for that matter Ovechkin and Backstrom) were from when they were much better in the regard (when Orpik was much better in that regard as well).

So if you're saying Orpik playing slightly more zone-starts explains away his score-adjusted corsi being 8.2% worse than Orlov's (-3.8% vs. +4.4% since 2011-12), then I will disagree and point to the research showing that mild zone-start differences don't explain an 8% difference.

Slightly meaning a lot. Defensive zone starts can tell someone much more than just where they were on the ice when a faceoff occurred and how that might change the stats.

Defensive zone starts is an indication of coaching tactics. A guy getting more defensive zone starts is being asked to play defensively. Sometimes in those zone starts, as it has been with Orlov a bunch this year, a player like Orpik could take the faceoff in the defensive zone, but change for someone like Orlov when the puck goes up the ice. This means he has zero chance for shot attempts for and only a chance for shots against, but it also says that Trotz may be telling Orpik, keep the puck out of the net, that is all I want from you. That simple. Get it out, in, and get off.

Ignoring stats for a second, Orpik doesn't pass the eye test either. Go back to Game 3 of the Islanders series. His inability to handle the puck near the crease cost the Capitals the game. He has been slower and slower recently and certainly won't be any faster when he returns from injury. How about all of the dumb penalties he takes in the name of "retribution"? How many times has he screened his own goalie? (I remember this happening all the time)

The only part of Orpik's game that is easily seen to be lacking is speed in the defensive zone and offensively. He is a great shot blocker (something Trotz asked of his defensemen, but sometimes makes them screen the goalie). He has a good pokecheck and stick. He is physical in the corners and in front of the net, and I know that means little to you, but it absolutely slows down the forecheck, and few players are willing to stand in front if they are going to crosschecked repeatedly. His pass isn't the best, but he usually ends up making smart simple plays instead of risking a long pass like putting the puck into his feet in the corner to allow for help, or going d-to-d behind the net, or playing it up the boards to a winger. When this happens Orpik is most likely going to be changing by the time the puck does get out not allowing for shot attempts for. These amazing skate outs and long exit passes by Orlov and Schmidt may happen once a game, if that. Though both are simply more willing to jump into the play, and therefore don't change when the puck goes up the ice and benefit from those rushes. The real difference between them is getting to rebounds and loose pucks which is where Orpik definitely struggles, but he makes up for it somewhat by plastering the opposing forward when he does get there, which slows him down for all of his teammates not just Orpik.

Orlov handled second pairing minutes when both Carlson and Orpik were injured and I'm pretty sure the Caps have kept on winning. He wasn't sheltered then because Ness and Chorney were sheltered.

He still received many more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts. While he played against better opposition, Alzner and Niskanen seemingly started over 50% of the Caps time in the defensive zone.

He also played basically no PK time during this time despite being on the second pairing. Trotz elected to use Chorney instead.

Orlov deserves a chance to play top 4 minutes for an extended period to show what he has before Orpik does because Orlov has more recently shown he can handle those minutes, Orpik was a disaster early this season coming off injury and now he's coming off another injury. No reason to think a guy that old coming back from injury will be able to play at a high level, it's just not realistic.

Trotz still won't trust Orlov in the defensive zone. The reasons really do escape me too. As I have said before, he doesn't really block many shots which could be part of the reason. His coverage is average, and he does have a propensity to be risky. I gues for Trotz the reward is not worth the risk, at least in the defensive zone.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My lineup is if ain't broke don't fix it on offense with Beagle coming in for Latta. Anyone on the 4th line underperforming Latta gets a sweater.

Orpik/Orlov
Niskanen/Alzner (shutdown)
Schmidt/Carlson
Chorney

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

that's right. maybe Ov isn't any better defensively than Burt but Trotz uses Ov one way and Burt another way. My point here was why Trotz swap 19 and 92. I can agree or disagree.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Orlov is actually pretty physical and feisty, would like to see him use it more. Would give up a little of his offense to see more of that. But that said I'm very happy rolling into the post season with Chorney as the #7. He's been fabulous this year.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Orlov is actually pretty physical and feisty, would like to see him use it more. Would give up a little of his offense to see more of that. But that said I'm very happy rolling into the post season with Chorney as the #7. He's been fabulous this year.

Me too. Chorney at 7D..well you could do far worse.

IF we want to be confident 8 deep then we should look for a 7/8 dman with experience who offers something we don't have as much (nasty physical presence)

We shouldn't bring in a big name who we'd have to put in the top 6. Should be a guy there in case of emergency.

Worst case Stanton and Ness do have NHL experience. I actually don't mind Ness and you can get by with him for a game or 2.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

IF we want to be confident 8 deep then we should look for a 7/8 dman with experience who offers something we don't have as much (nasty physical presence)

We shouldn't bring in a big name who we'd have to put in the top 6. Should be a guy there in case of emergency.

Worst case Stanton and Ness do have NHL experience. I actually don't mind Ness and you can get by with him for a game or 2.

Totally agree, pending Orpik's full recovery. The sooner he gets some games and the better.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Totally agree, pending Orpik's full recovery. The sooner he gets some games and the better.

Thats the quirky one. Need Orpik to be good to go. It may take him several games to feel ok. He missed the offseason with the wrist too so he's way behind. I suspect he won't look like himself until the playoffs start.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Thats the quirky one. Need Orpik to be good to go. It may take him several games to feel ok. He missed the offseason with the wrist too so he's way behind. I suspect he won't look like himself until the playoffs start.

Yeah. Which is why I might pick up an older top 4 rental if one can be had for a decent price. Worst case, he's disgruntled in the press box and walks in the summer.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

I go Ness over Stanton ALL DAY. Stanton looked HORRIBLE. I never really noticed Ness except for a few really brilliant offensive rushes. That, to me, is a good thing. Every time Stanton was on the ice we got scored on. lol

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah. Which is why I might pick up an older top 4 rental if one can be had for a decent price. Worst case, he's disgruntled in the press box and walks in the summer.

Depends who this player is and what his price is. It would be more like Mike Weber or Roman Polak in my book. A guy who can play top 4 on a non playoff team or has experience doing so. Has some edge. Would be cheap to acquire. Those kinds of guys...who have played top 4 on bad teams but would be depth players on contenders and wouldn't command much in assets going back.

I go Ness over Stanton ALL DAY. Stanton looked HORRIBLE. I never really noticed Ness except for a few really brilliant offensive rushes. That, to me, is a good thing. Every time Stanton was on the ice we got scored on. lol

Trust me I was cursing Stanton harshly that one game. But reality is that he probably had a bad game and is a better player than that.

I was impressed with A-Ness in preseason and when he played. He has some quickness to his game at least.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Be totally OK with that as long as Trotz doesn't feel his hand is forced to play him. Because if the situation arises of "We traded for a top 4 vet, so we have to use him." I don't want that. If Schmidt and/or Orlov are better than mystery man top 4 vet, then he sits in the press box JUST IN CASE.

I honestly don't see anybody out there that's speculated to be traded I'd start over either of them.

They've earned their strips and we've won because of them not in spite of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad