Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
:facepalm:

That's not what people are asking you about. One last time...

Someone mentioned a maintenance day for Richards. You said Richards injured his knee. Someone else asked you if the team had confirmed that injury or if you were "playing doctor again". You started talking about Beagle. Then Orpik. None of this has to do with Richards.

So, source? Or the usual implied speculation?

my source. the replay during the game where Richards twisted his knee, screamed and grabbed it and was slow to get off the ice. that and again, the presser. and...as long as we are at it. Trotz said it was a maint. day but then wouldn't commit to him being able to play tomorrow. so....

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I also thought they'd throw him right back into the fire but a couple of variables change things. One is Carlson not playing like his old self and IMO not wanting to set the precedent for them to just struggle along together. Secondly, I thought he'd practice for a longer time beforehand. It's only been eight days since he started practicing again so it sounds like he could be back in before a week and a half of them. I'm too lazy to check their schedule but I'm guessing that's only like three practices so far and probably not the most intense sessions at this stage. He has been pushed in separate sessions with the S&C guy but that's not going to help his timing much.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There was a discussion earlier about how Orpik should only come back when he is ready for top pairing minutes because otherwise he might be targeted more by the opposition. I thought it was a bogus argument and Trotz seems to agree according to Isabelle. It seems really obvious to me that Orpik needs to start in the third pairing and his play needs to be heavily scrutinized before considering moving him up.

That discussion (at least on my part) was with regards to come playoff time, not regular season. Very little targeting in the regular season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I also thought they'd throw him right back into the fire but a couple of variables change things. One is Carlson not playing like his old self and IMO not wanting to set the precedent for them to just struggle along together. Secondly, I thought he'd practice for a longer time beforehand. It's only been eight days since he started practicing again so it sounds like he could be back in before a week and a half of them. I'm too lazy to check their schedule but I'm guessing that's only like three practices so far and probably not the most intense sessions at this stage. He has been pushed in separate sessions with the S&C guy but that's not going to help his timing much.

Right. It seems like a very short period from just getting on skates to getting in the game, given the time off. I wonder how much of it is driven by contracts/call-ups available, how much is from Orpik just pushing it, and how much is due to the desire to get a few weeks of games in before the trade deadline so they can assess needs.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The best proposal that I've seen on the main boards has been Hamhuis (Canucks retain 50% salary) and Chris Higgins for Carrick, Caps 1st round pick (though I would make this a conditional pick in that its a 2nd round pick and only becomes a 1st if the Caps make it to the SC finals) and Brooks Laich.

When the discussions have been about Laich needing to be involved in such a transaction because of salary, I've always been concerned with "then what", who do the Caps go in the playoffs with on the 4th line, Beagle/Richards/Latta. I like Latta but not so sure for a playoff run. Beagle/Richards/Laich would be much better. But with the aforementioned proposal, Higgins takes Laich's position on that 4th line. Higgins' contract like Laich's has one year left but I believe Higgins' is at 2.5 so that's 2 mil less of cap space for next season not too mention the acquisition of Hamhuis for the playoffs.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Tampa Bay lost Jason Garrison to a lower body injury for 3-5 weeks. Add them to the list of teams looking for defensemen before the TDL.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
FWIW I watched a lot of the Arizona Vancouver game last night and was not unimpressed by Hamhuis.

**** Orlov's feelings, you'd have to feel pretty good about this going into the playoffs:

Hamhuis-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Schmidt-Orpik
Orlov
Chorney

Last edited by a moderator:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not against bringing Hamhuis in but not at the expense of Orlov being scratched. He is way too good and dynamic to put on the bench instead of Orpik.

Alzner-Niskanen
Hamhuis-Carlson
Orlov-Schmidt
Orpik
Chorney

Shutdown top pair that can actually possess the puck, solid second pair with some offensive punch, dynamic and responsible third pair that can feast upon lesser competition.

Orpik as a 7D still provides leadership off the ice without the liabilities on the ice. Chorney as an 8D is an embarrassment of riches.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm not against bringing Hamhuis in but not at the expense of Orlov being scratched. He is way too good and dynamic to put on the bench instead of Orpik.

Alzner-Niskanen
Hamhuis-Carlson
Orlov-Schmidt
Orpik
Chorney

Shutdown top pair that can actually possess the puck, solid second pair with some offensive punch, dynamic and responsible third pair that can feast upon lesser competition.

Orpik as a 7D still provides leadership off the ice without the liabilities on the ice. Chorney as an 8D is an embarrassment of riches.

Dress the best 6 whoever they are, but that's defensive depth that we have not seen if ever on the Caps.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I could see it happening if any of 65/14/77 get hurt and they want to keep 90 centering the third line. Otherwise I'm not sure it's wise putting him on the fourth line or something with likely no PP time.

Hard to figure Galiev gets many more chances and while it's probably rushing Vrana a bit in the short-term if he continues to light it up rewarding him should be a priority. At least it would get him a first hand look at what he'll need to work on.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I would love to see Vrana and Barber get a few games since they both seem to be hot at the moment.

But that kind of stuff will probably need to wait until after the trade deadline, IMO.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
**** Orlov's feelings, you'd have to feel pretty good about this going into the playoffs:

Hamhuis-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Schmidt-Orpik
Orlov
Chorney

It sucks that people don't see how much of a gem Orlov is. He lost a year of development. He still has a lot of room for growth, but you could see just how good he can be.

If I was him and sat in the pressbox after the trade deadline/in POs, it would destroy any interest in resigning with Washington. I would take my talents elsewhere. He already requested a trade before due to being under-utilized.

It would sting once be blossoms into a first pairing dman.

EDIT: I think he'll still be in RFA status. So he might just end up hoping over the pond instead then.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
That's fine and dandy, but you have to look forward. Guarantee future cup success. Letting go of a potential first pairing dman for another dman (whom isn't even that good, IMO) to try and improve a dcore that's already great seems like a waste. Hamhuis might not even make an impact.

Look no further than Erat/Forsberg trade.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's fine and dandy, but you have to look forward. Guarantee future cup success. Letting go of a potential first pairing dman for another dman (whom isn't even that good, IMO) to try and improve a dcore that's already great seems like a waste. Hamhuis might not even make an impact.

Look no further than Erat/Forsberg trade.

I don't think MacLellan is trying to replace Orlov, but if they add an NHL defenseman
he is going to have to earn his lineup slot. I've said this before, that he is behind Schmidt on the depth chart is on him. He should be better.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

Alzner-Niskanen
Hamhuis-Carlson
Orlov-Schmidt
Orpik
Chorney

I kind of agree with this. "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" kind of applies to Orpik these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad