Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt1)(2/27-Laich waived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I do because they have laid out their plan and followed through with it. There's no talk of a 2 borderline 3 wing because they don't see it as an issue. But it is.

Yes I do. His team just lost to the best team in the west and reigning cup winners. If he can't see his team can't hang then he's an idiot. I didn't think he was that dumb but I'm beginning to think I was wrong in that regard.

Let's assume they could somehow get the cap space for that player. Do you think that 3rd or 4th liner is the difference between winning and losing vs Chicago today?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes I do. His team just lost to the best team in the west and reigning cup winners. If he can't see his team can't hang then he's an idiot. I didn't think he was that dumb but I'm beginning to think I was wrong in that regard.

You said afraid not stupid. They are not the same. Which is it?

Nah I'm good. Not going to change my mind that this team won't win a cup as is.

Well then I will just have to hope you are wrong and that McLellan who has turned this team around in a year and a half knows better than either of us.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
1 or 20 it's still a loss. Won't be Chicago 4 times out of 7. Nor Dallas, LA, or NY for that matter.

You said they can't "hang" with them. They beat them 4-1 earlier in the season and lost by one goal. Clearly, they can "hang" with them in the regular season.

I do agree that GMBM is most likely scared if he doesn't make a move in the next day or two. As is, they're not beating LA or CHI in a 7 game series. A guy like Komarov filling in for Willy on the 3rd line would help for depth and give the team more versatility.

tmljeh19*

Let's assume they could somehow get the cap space for that player. Do you think that 3rd or 4th liner is the difference between winning and losing vs Chicago today?

I think a 3rd liner who can move up if needed and bumps Wilson to the 4th line makes this team more complete. More dangerous and harder to beat. Their general lack of experience is what worries me most. That includes Trotz. I think a lot of things have to come together correctly. But making the team the hardest to compete with should be the ultimate goal. That, will maximize their chance. I don't think this team right now makes it out of round 2

tmljeh19*

You said they can't "hang" with them. They beat them 4-1 earlier in the season and lost by one goal. Clearly, they can "hang" with them in the regular season.

I do agree that GMBM is most likely scared if he doesn't make a move in the next day or two. As is, they're not beating LA or CHI in a 7 game series. A guy like Komarov filling in for Willy on the 3rd line would help for depth and give the team more versatility.

Beating them earlier holds no water now. They made moves and are closer to the playoffs where they begin to play more sound. I would have rather lost 10-0 last time and won today

tmljeh19*

When you complained they haven't been steamrolling anyone, iirc. Something like that. Maybe I misread

edit: nope, that's what you said, alright

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=114596437&postcount=875

I said when is the last time they flat out beat a team? They are on a historic pace but are barely winning. A team playing at their pace should be winning games handedly once in a while. Not barely squeezing by. I don't expect them to roll Chicago. I do expect them to not look like crap against Minnesota.

tmljeh19*

you said you didnt want them to be just barely beating teams like the wild, and im saying a win is a win just like a loss is a loss

They shouldn't be looking like crap against them. They should be playing tough against Chicago. It's like you can't see the difference between a weaker opponent and a good one. :shakehead

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
There is not much we can add at the deadline that can push us to the Cup run now.

Either we have it or we don't at this point. It's do or die

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
you said you didnt want them to be just barely beating teams like the wild, and im saying a win is a win just like a loss is a loss

Personally, I'm much more interested in how the team plays rather than just getting the two points and simplifying it to "a win is a win."

I think we're pretty much guaranteed to get home ice at this point. Maybe the guys are just saving their energy for the playoffs, but IMO this is not the same team that beat Chicago earlier in the year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think a 3rd liner who can move up if needed and bumps Wilson to the 4th line makes this team more complete. More dangerous and harder to beat. Their general lack of experience is what worries me most. That includes Trotz. I think a lot of things have to come together correctly. But making the team the hardest to compete with should be the ultimate goal. That, will maximize their chance. I don't think this team right now makes it out of round 2

You're repeatedly citing today's game as proof that your general complaints about the team's needs are correct, but it doesn't look like you believe such a move would have changed today's result. So it appears as though you're taking today's loss as an opportunity to spam the boards with your personal beliefs and dissatisfaction.

Williams and Richards and Orpik have plenty of experience. The rest of the team went to within 1 minute of the ECF last year, except for Oshie and maybe whatever 4th line fill-in they're not coincidentally looking to upgrade. This team is better than last year's team, both in results and on paper. And the playoffs are over a month away.

The TDL isn't even over. Someone would have to want to take on Laich's salary, and have a piece that fits. That's not all on GMBM. It really sounds like you just want a move for the sake of making a move.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@ESPN_Burnside: Whatever happens with Dan Hamhuis in Vancouver don't expect the Washington Capitals to be in on the veteran defender.

My gut feeling is McGinn for Laich++ because that seems like someone they'd target. A physical effort guy since they bow down at the Temple of Compete.

Everything goes back to the top line not performing anywhere close to where they need to be. Fix that and the rest will follow. If the top line and PP linger in a funk until the playoffs come around then it will be hard to figure that they're for real. There's winning games in a lot of different ways and there's having go-to guys playing at a top level. Trotz has shown he's able to get the former...now what about the later?

tmljeh19*

You're repeatedly citing today's game as proof that your general complaints about the team's needs are correct, but it doesn't look like you believe such a move would have changed today's result. So it appears as though you're taking today's loss as an opportunity to spam the boards with your personal beliefs and dissatisfaction.

Williams and Richards and Orpik have plenty of experience. The rest of the team went to within 1 minute of the ECF last year, except for Oshie and maybe whatever 4th line fill-in they're not coincidentally looking to upgrade. This team is better than last year's team, both in results and on paper. And the playoffs are over a month away.

The TDL isn't even over. Someone would have to want to take on Laich's salary, and have a piece that fits. That's not all on GMBM. It really sounds like you just want a move for the sake of making a move.

Today is proof we can't hang with Chicago in a 7 games series. And yes Chicago should be on our minds. It should be cup or bust mentality so you have to be prepared to face them. I think if we had, say Komarov, our team would have been harder to beat, and ultimately would have won. It would have made the team more complete. If we played Chicago in a series right now we don't win 4 out of 7. We don't. Period. We aren't strong enough. We aren't tough enough. Adding another mid level wing in my opinion, makes us tougher. And swings that balance to the middle in my opinion.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Trade deadline brings this out of fans and even NHL GMs.

Its like the last minute of an Ebay auction that you don't even want but the excitement of the moment will get you something you don't even want or need for more than you wanted to pay.

Its a competitive thing. Have to "win" the TDL. Just like Dan Snyder used to have to "win" the offseason.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
We need backstroke playing at the top level. I'm worried only about him and maybe Oshie. Pretty confident others will raise their game in the playoffs. If we are cycling on all cylinders, we are hard to beat even if we stay pat on TDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad