Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt1)(2/27-Laich waived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Today is proof we can't hang with Chicago in a 7 games series. And yes Chicago should be on our minds. It should be cup or bust mentality so you have to be prepared to face them. I think if we had, say Komarov, our team would have been harder to beat, and ultimately would have won. It would have made the team more complete. If we played Chicago in a series right now we don't win 4 out of 7. We don't. Period. We aren't strong enough. We aren't tough enough. Adding another mid level wing in my opinion, makes us tougher. And swings that balance to the middle in my opinion.

I put forth trade proposals for Komarov that included Samsonov in this very thread. So have others who are disagreeing with you on this current angle you're pushing. It still depends on the market for Laich, and how much Toronto wants to play ball. I'm with you on that.

But I'm not extrapolating things that aren't there, like taking ONE GAME right before the TDL as "proof" that an additional 6 games in a playoff setting will play out the same way. That's simply not a fact.

And regarding today's game, no, one player would not have made a difference in all likelihood, unless he put forth an unreal individual effort. Is that something we can bank on in the playoffs? A TDL pickup carrying the team for 16 wins?

The problems you are seeing are coming from the current players and coaches, not a lack of a single key player on the roster. The team has time to fix those issues.

tmljeh19*

I put forth trade proposals for Komarov that included Samsonov in this very thread. So have others who are disagreeing with you on this current angle you're pushing. It still depends on the market for Laich, and how much Toronto wants to play ball. I'm with you on that.

But I'm not extrapolating things that aren't there, like taking ONE GAME right before the TDL as "proof" that an additional 6 games in a playoff setting will play out the same way. That's simply not a fact.

And regarding today's game, no, one player would not have made a difference in all likelihood, unless he put forth an unreal individual effort. Is that something we can bank on in the playoffs? A TDL pickup carrying the team for 16 wins?

The problems you are seeing are coming from the current players and coaches, not a lack of a single key player on the roster. The team has time to fix those issues.

I'm not saying Komarov scores 2 goals in this game but they do play us differently with him.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I would love for you guys to win the cup and break the 4 year streak of the west winning it.

It comes down to you guys consistently scoring at least 3 goals each game IMO. The team knows holtby doesn't really get shut outs and always seems to let in at least 2 goals, especially that last month.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Marian Gaborik

Keith Tkachuk, Hossa (Pens), Iginla (Pens), Hull/Bozak for Wamsley and Ramage, Ryan Miller, Brian Campbell to SJ, and a billion others.

For every one TDL big timer that works there are 5 or 6 miserable ones. Forsberg should be a warning to any Caps fan.

Look at the Rangers. They have not won a cup and have not had a 1st round pick in forever and are throwing young assets away left and right. They are maxing out their credit cards and will have to pay the piper.

The reason why WE are even in the position we are now is that we DON'T do that (well outside of he who shall not be named).

A 3rd or 4th line upgrade is just not worth it if we are talking about top assets.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I disagree about caps not being able to hang with Hawks, Caps still have another gear they didn't show. Also the road factor played here, and some simple mistakes. I think it goes 7 games of course.

tmljeh19*

Keith Tkachuk, Hossa (Pens), Iginla (Pens), Hull/Bozak for Wamsley and Ramage, Ryan Miller, Brian Campbell to SJ, and a billion others.

For every one TDL big timer that works there are 5 or 6 miserable ones. Forsberg should be a warning to any Caps fan.

Look at the Rangers. They have not won a cup and have not had a 1st round pick in forever and are throwing young assets away left and right. They are maxing out their credit cards and will have to pay the piper.

The reason why WE are even in the position we are now is that we DON'T do that (well outside of he who shall not be named).

A 3rd or 4th line upgrade is just not worth it if we are talking about top assets.

So let's be afraid because not everyone is a slam dunk. That's what GMs get paid to do. Not be scared that they are gonna fail.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Caps and Hawks evenly matched, but the Caps could use more winners.

They'd better not sit on their hands tomorrow.

It baffles me how a perennial playoff disappointment could be so arrogant as to think they're that much better than everyone else.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Of course I want the Caps management to do whatever they can to improve the team, but there may not be anything to do.

And of course we hear about how good teams elevate their games in the playoffs but somehow many here don't seem to think the Caps will do that too.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012

I'm sure the Hawks, Kings, and every other Stanley Cup winner is regretting trading away their picks and prospects.

If the regular season is any indication, we have a better chance than every other team in recent history to win the cup.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Caps and Hawks evenly matched, but the Caps could use more winners.

They'd better not sit on their hands tomorrow.

It baffles me how a perennial playoff disappointment could be so arrogant as to think they're that much better than everyone else.

and how do you know they arent looking for trades? are you in the caps office?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'm not saying Komarov scores 2 goals in this game but they do play us differently with him.

It's a good thing you're not saying that considering its only taken Komarov 15Games to score his last three goals and he went 10Games without a goal before that. Listen, there are ways to improve the team that are still available but suggesting that any single player is the missing piece at this point is poorly informed. Komarov and most other players that have been suggested would have likely had no impact on the outcome of today's game. Getting the players already on the team to play at a consistently high level and on the same page (you know, what Trotz has been doing throughout the Regular Season) will have an impact. I didn't see today's game and say "Oh ****, we got outclassed, Ladd and Fleischman will bring them the Cup" I saw today's game and said "We're going to need more intensity from some key players (8, 19, 65, 25) to beat that team," hopefully when the chips are down they all realise what they're playing for.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm sure the Hawks, Kings, and every other Stanley Cup winner is regretting trading away their picks and prospects.

If the regular season is any indication, we have a better chance than every other team in recent history to win the cup.

I wonder if the Flames regret trading away Brett Hull for a couple depth players that "helped" them win the cup?

Neil Smith still regrets trading away guys like Amonte, Weight, and Gartner for depth grinders that may or may not have helped their team win that cup in 94. Glenn Anderson was shot. Gartner was still very productive. Yeah Matteau scored a big goal...but maybe the sweep the Devils if they had a young budding Tony frikin Amonte on their team? We won't know I guess.

Most times it fails. Even when it "succeeds" (like above) there is still a case to make for it "failing".

We are talking about a bottom 6 forward here. "We talkin' bout Grinderz! Grinderz!"

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

I actually disagree here. Even though the Rags hasn't won the Cup, they have been in ECF twice and once in the SCF in the past 4 years. That's actually a really good record. Their management gave them a really good chance to win it all. Their TDL additions have been good so far: MSL, Yandle, Nash. If we can add any player of that calibre, that would be huge. Also unlike the Rags, we can afford sacrifice the future with our farm and young players.

tmljeh19*

It's a good thing you're not saying that considering its only taken Komarov 15Games to score his last three goals and he went 10Games without a goal before that. Listen, there are ways to improve the team that are still available but suggesting that any single player is the missing piece at this point is poorly informed. Komarov and most other players that have been suggested would have likely had no impact on the outcome of today's game. Getting the players already on the team to play at a consistently high level and on the same page (you know, what Trotz has been doing throughout the Regular Season) will have an impact. I didn't see today's game and say "Oh ****, we got outclassed, Ladd and Fleischman will bring them the Cup" I saw today's game and said "We're going to need more intensity from some key players (8, 19, 65, 25) to beat that team," hopefully when the chips are down they all realise what they're playing for.

Completely agree on the players already here. But coupled that with what I want to add, I think it makes them dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad