A lot of interest in Tatar

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Fair enough regarding the 200 foot player part. I just don't see him becoming a huge stud again. He's been on a consistent decline for a few years now.
Rick Nash is one of those guys where he's established a brand for himself, and somehow everybody still seems to believe in it despite his on-ice performances. He's not the star scorer he used to be, but teams still pay like he is.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Fair enough regarding the 200 foot player part. I just don't see him becoming a huge stud again. He's been on a consistent decline for a few years now.

Kessel’s success in Pitt was a huge boon to Nash’s value. Truly elite players, even if they’ve declined and had a steady decline will get the benefit of the doubt at least once.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't see Tatar being traded. That would require Kenny to do more than the bare minimum.

Ideally you move Green, Tatar and Nyquist.

Well he basically suggested those players are being shipped out of the next season or two. He's just not going to give them away.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

"For the most part, all our players are under team control," Holland said. "It's not like I feel like I've got to do a deal because I've got these unrestricted free agents."[...]"At the end of the day, it is between now and Monday. If not, I'm going to reassess and get to the draft. And then if it's not this time period, if it's not the time period at the draft, then the reality is it's probably a year from now."

Red Wings seek multiple trades, but don't feel urgency to deal now

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Kessel’s success in Pitt was a huge boon to Nash’s value. Truly elite players, even if they’ve declined and had a steady decline will get the benefit of the doubt at least once.

How in the world did you bring yourself to this comparison? Kessel had 394 points in 446 games (.88 PPG) with Toronto. The last two seasons, even at his worst, he had 60 points each. He was traded when he was 27... Nash is 33 and has 102 points in his last 187 games (.55 PPG) over the last three seasons.

These are not even close to similar situations. Kessel was performing far ahead of Nash and was entering his prime years rather than exiting them.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
"For the most part, all our players are under team control," Holland said. "It's not like I feel like I've got to do a deal because I've got these unrestricted free agents."[...]"At the end of the day, it is between now and Monday. If not, I'm going to reassess and get to the draft. And then if it's not this time period, if it's not the time period at the draft, then the reality is it's probably a year from now."

Ok but that' pretty vague

It' not as though he said he needs to change the core of the team or wants to move salary or move out older players

Maybe nyquist next February as a free agent but roster but I am not so sure

We will see

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
"For the most part, all our players are under team control," Holland said. "It's not like I feel like I've got to do a deal because I've got these unrestricted free agents."[...]"At the
end of the day, it is between now and Monday. If not, I'm going to reassess and get to the draft. And then if it's not this time period, if it's not the time period at the draft, then the reality is it's probably a year from now."

Yeah that sounds like Kenny. Kicking the can down the road.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, outside of Green, I can get waiting on some deals at this point if the return isn't there. What I don't want to see is going into the fall and using the lack of moves as the reason to not bring guys onto the team that would otherwise have been here. If they think Rasmussen and Svech would have been ready without Nyquist/Tatar on the team, they are just as ready with them still around. Just go with an even deeper forward group at that point.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Might just mean Boston was stupid. Doesn't mean every other team has to be just as stupid.
Not at all. Boston not only got a solid rental, but also got out from under the Beleskey contract. That was win-win for both teams.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ken Holland says 1 Sentence... and you guys are blowing his words way way way out of proportion.

I think there are only a few facts we know of today:

Detroit is selling in general, and Holland has started to listen on non-UFA roster players...
As for who gets traded... lets rediscuss in 24 hours.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Ken Holland says 1 Sentence... and you guys are blowing his words way way way out of proportion.

I think there are only a few facts we know of today:

Detroit is selling in general, and Holland has started to listen on non-UFA roster players...
As for who gets traded... lets rediscuss in 24 hours.

Alright man, talk to you tomorrow after Holland does nothing. Trading Green should be the absolute bare minimum. He should be starting the rebuild by making several trades. Instead, I'm not even convinced he trades Green, the impending UFA. He's gonna "attempt" to move him, but decide that the offers aren't good enough, and that we need him for our playoff push lol.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not at all. Boston not only got a solid rental, but also got out from under the Beleskey contract. That was win-win for both teams.

Boston's still paying $1.9m of Belesky's deal. They got out from around a million extra bucks. Is that worth losing Spooner?

Taking reports at face value, Boston could have dealt just the 1st and a prospect to Detroit, gotten Tatar back who would give them not just a 20 goal scorer this season, but for the next two as well. Plus they keep Spooner. I think Boston got jumpy on Belesky's contract and moved too hard to move something that wasn't really hurting them in the first place.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Boston's still paying $1.9m of Belesky's deal. They got out from around a million extra bucks. Is that worth losing Spooner?

Taking reports at face value, Boston could have dealt just the 1st and a prospect to Detroit, gotten Tatar back who would give them not just a 20 goal scorer this season, but for the next two as well. Plus they keep Spooner. I think Boston got jumpy on Belesky's contract and moved too hard to move something that wasn't really hurting them in the first place.
The Rangers are retaining half of Nash's salary as well, but fair enough.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
From what I remember, Nash was bunk when the NYR had decent playoff runs.
I like his size and skill, even if his production isn't what it was.
But Boston already has a big slow old guy named Backes.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

It's a gamble I think you take. This is Nash's last hurrah, you might catch lightning. With parity we see teams rising and falling faster, why not seize the day? It's interesting the amount of teams that feel confident enough to go shopping right now, rewarding themselves for playing winning hockey. I say go for it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's a gamble I think you take. This is Nash's last hurrah, you might catch lightning. With parity we see teams rising and falling faster, why not seize the day? It's interesting the amount of teams that feel confident enough to go shopping right now, rewarding themselves for playing winning hockey. I say go for it.

I don't mind going for it but I'm honestly not sure you have a better team with Nash versus a team with Spooner and Tatar (or some other forward of a similar nature). And you're also giving yourself a decent sized hole to fill the following season when/if Nash walks and you still don't have Spooner or that first round pick.

For the assets, I think Boston overpaid, and I think one of the main drivers of that payment wasn't getting better this year but moving Belesky.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How in the world did you bring yourself to this comparison? Kessel had 394 points in 446 games (.88 PPG) with Toronto. The last two seasons, even at his worst, he had 60 points each. He was traded when he was 27... Nash is 33 and has 102 points in his last 187 games (.55 PPG) over the last three seasons.

These are not even close to similar situations. Kessel was performing far ahead of Nash and was entering his prime years rather than exiting them.

Big name and elite wing was underperforming to what people expected of him in a hopeless situation. Seemed to have fresh air breathed into his career by a change in scenery.

How did I ever come to that conclusion?

When it comes to guys who have flashes elite talent, teams get blinded by the name and track record

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Big name and elite wing was underperforming to what people expected of him in a hopeless situation. Seemed to have fresh air breathed into his career by a change in scenery.

How did I ever come to that conclusion?

When it comes to guys who have flashes elite talent, teams get blinded by the name and track record

Lol. Nash has put up "elite" numbers once in the last five years. He's 6 years older now than Kessel was then and has bested Kessel's "underperforming" stats once since 2012. His value is not even remotely close to Kessel's 3 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad