League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I promise everyone I don't hate Tom Wilson!

He just sticks out as the most obvious trade target to improve the team both short and long term. He's like the glowing red spot on an NES boss when it comes to making the team better! Just shoot it! Why are we trying shoot the dull gray armor instead of launching a nuke into that tender glowing membrane?!
The only people who think that are the same people who never liked him to begin with.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Pastrnak: "I'm not afraid of Tkachuk. I can take a punch"

Just as well, because you took several. And dished out zero.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

He just sticks out as the most obvious trade target to improve the team both short and long term. He's like the glowing red spot on an NES boss when it comes to making the team better! Just shoot it! Why are we trying shoot the dull gray armor instead of launching a nuke into that tender glowing membrane?!
I’m not sure he’s our most valuable trade asset honestly….top 5?

Liam Smith

May 8, 2017
Massachusetts
McAvoy is a really good defensman, among the best in the league, but he lacks some offensive touch with his passing and puck handling. It’s one of the small details that Carlson is so good at.

Reactions: Calicaps

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
McAvoy is a really good defensman, among the best in the league, but he lacks some offensive touch with his passing and puck handling. It’s one of the small details that Carlson is so good at.
Yeah, often it’s like, “this is one of the best defenseman in the league obviously” and then he’ll just randomly make some terrible play. I actually think similarly about Ekblad.

Liam Smith

May 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah, often it’s like, “this is one of the best defenseman in the league obviously” and then he’ll just randomly make some terrible play. I actually think similarly about Ekblad.
Agreed. I think a lot of Ekblads deficiency’s have become well known in recent years, but I’d throw a guy like Dahlin into that category.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
McAvoy has been pretty average in these playoffs - which is definitely out of character for him.

Bruins fans appear to be "done with him" lol

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
So nice to see a functioning power play like the Panthers' tonight. Player movement, crisp puck movement, smart positioning. Things we didn't often see from the Caps this season.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The problem with our power play is that it’s organized around a guy who’s not expected to move - which is basically Plastocene era hockey.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
FLA's defense in a 5-on-6 situation is also smart and coherent. Looks like their 3 forwards and 2 d move smartly as the Broons pass the puck around yet no opponent is left completely open.

And the Cats get the ENG. Nicely done. Suck it Broons. And Jacobs.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Oilers look to have their hands full in this series.

Apparently Demko could be back soon as well.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

That's like if you were to say you can honestly use the #eyetest instead of analytics!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers look to have their hands full in this series.

Apparently Demko could be back soon as well.
Won't need Demko when Skinner keeps giving up bad goals. They could save him for WCF. When you have the best goalie coach in the NHL, rookie goalie Silovs finished off a series playing 3 games for the Canucks. Canucks are doing everything to the Oilers, the Kings failed to do.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers tie up the series. Thats rough for Cole, it almost looked like he was trying to tip it in.
He was trying to take away the back door pass to Hyman. I have always thought as a d-man you can't be standing in that position by himself near his goalie, flat footed(that has been my experience from playing as a d-man). Cole has to be on Hyman and then that pass doesn't get accidentally deflected like that.

Both networks over emphasized how great McDavid was in that sequence with his speed racing down the ice with the puck and the Canucks backing up too much(McDavid did nothing more then gain quick zone entry). The fact was the other 4 Canucks players were actually in good position defending in their own zone. Cole was just standing still and not having his head on a swivel. Hyman was floating down the left-wing and Cole never bothered to pick him up visually, as Hyman was his man.

I think the Canucks made the mistake of being conservative to start OT. The Oilers top line was playing very heavy minutes and pretty much the rest the Oilers lines were doing almost nothing during the game. Tocchet should have had his team aggressive from the start of OT and make the Oilers defend with their players that log a lot of ice time. Instead, Oilers went for it and won it on a lucky bounce off a lazy Canucks d-man.

Last edited:
Reactions: usiel

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I mean i don't get it. You like him the least here and still somehow at the same time you overvalue his trade value the most?

He's never going to return something like Byfield and Marner has NMC so that's a dead horse you are beating on.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
The Panthers honestly just seem really good. I think they fell asleep a little in the third period this game after utterly dominating the first two, but I think they’ll learn their lesson. Having Bennett back is a huge deal as we saw last night.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The Panthers honestly just seem really good. I think they fell asleep a little in the third period this game after utterly dominating the first two, but I think they’ll learn their lesson. Having Bennett back is a huge deal as we saw last night.
Their playing on another level the Bruins can't match. Unless something dramatic happens, it's looking almost clear it will be Panthers vs Rangers for the ECF.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean i don't get it. You like him the least here and still somehow at the same time you overvalue his trade value the most?

He's never going to return something like Byfield and Marner has NMC so that's a dead horse you are beating on.
Can't speak for Twabby, but I think there's certainly at least a few GMs out there who would give up something stupid for Tom Wilson. Less now that he has that contract, but still a non-zero amount. NHL GMs continue to do absolutely stupid things for players they think are power forwards.

Tanner Jeannot fetched a 1st, 2nd, and a (then) 22 year old former 1st rounder - and Jeannot did that with a fraction of the track record that Wilson has (and with a ridiculous shooting% he was never going to be able to sustain).

Josh Anderson had one good season followed by an abysmal 4 points in 26 games in the COVID-shortened year, and despite that utterly horrid year was traded for a (then) 23 year old former 12th overall pick (who, himself, was just one year removed from scoring 72 points). Anderson then immediately signed a 7 year deal worth $5.5M.

A 20 game trade deadline rental of Kevin Hayes returned a 1st round pick, and then a different team gave him 7 years at $7M AAV.

Ottawa signed Brady Tkachuk to a $8.2M AAV contract that peaks at $10.5M real salary for 7 years. And this is probably the most sane thing you will see on this list.

Winnipeg managed to get Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, AND the #37 pick in exchange for Pierre-Luc Dubois, and the Kings followed that up by giving PLD a 8 year, $8.5M AAV deal. And you doubt that they might have offered something silly (like Byfield) in exchange for Wilson?

It just takes a couple dumb GMs out there overvaluing Wilson for a ridiculous trade return to take place. And NHL GMs have repeatedly shown that they will do stupid things to get power forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad