A lot of interest in Tatar

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Insane to me that a top 5 player on this team is getting ragged on as much as he is, but here we are.

Tavares is likely to be re-signing in New York, that’s what most of the rumors have been indicating of late.

Definitely don’t just give Tatar away, he has value, try to maximize that.

Larkin, Zetterberg, Mantha, Green, Nyquist.

He isn't a top 5 player on this team.

You don't give him away, but he is basically having an identical year to last year. I don't care that Tatar plays hockey once we are dead and buried.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd be surprised if we get anything better than a 2nd rounder for tatar or nyquist. Teams got to watch film, don't they? If i was a GM, i'd offer a mid 2nd rounder and maybe an older prospect. nothing more

if we get a 2nd for him, that would be a good trade

Boston just gave up a 1st, a solid roster player, a prospect and a 7th for a rental Rick Nash. If Holland doesn't at least get a first and a B-prospect for a non-rental Tatar or Nyquist then he fails.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why do you need cap space to do a rebuild?

The only benefit I see is being able to get a pick for taking on an ugly contract. Is that the only benefit?
And lets you at least be in the sweepstakes for any potential UFAs. If Karlsson makes it to UFA, it's going to take a lot of money. Or Tavares.

At least this way we have the option without it being used up on players who aren't elite.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

You don't give him away, but he is basically having an identical year to last year. I don't care that Tatar plays hockey once we are dead and buried.

While Tatar and Nyquist are virtually similar players in terms of contribution and role, Tatar has been the better driver of production and even strength of production practically his entire career.

But I think comparing the two is as subjective as it gets.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Tatar and nyquist are pretty much the same.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Boston just gave up a 1st, a solid roster player, a prospect and a 7th for a rental Rick Nash. If Holland doesn't at least get a first and a B-prospect for a non-rental Tatar or Nyquist then he fails.

Bob McKenzie said both are worth a 2nd if I remember correctly.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
McKenzie said 2nd+Prospect but if Nash got that kind of return no reason not to believe that Nyquist and Tatar with more term can't get slightly more.

If that is the case then the wings will most likely have to take back a bad expiring contract. Most playoff bound teams have hardly any cap room.

Just curious what teams you think want either player for a 1st round pick. These teams would need the cap space or a bad expiring contract to send back.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If that is the case then the wings will most likely have to take back a bad expiring contract. Most playoff bound teams have hardly any cap room.

Just curious what teams you think want either player for a 1st round pick. These teams would need the cap space or a bad expiring contract to send back.
Wings can afford to take back a bad expiring contract rather easily, As far as teams willing to give up a 1st for either i guess it just depends on how badly they want them. Good thing about both Nyquist/Tatar is that neither has missed a single game in their entire career due to sickness or injury. Tatar missed one game due to his Dad passing and Nyquist 6 game suspension for the high hit to the face of Jared Spurgeon other then that both have played every game.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
A quote from Holland earlier this week:

"So how open am I for business? I'm open for business... I think... over the next year or two... hopefully we'll continue to make moves that will impact this team down the road. Am I open to discussion? Yeah... I'm open to talking about lots of things, the reality is most of it doesn't happen, but over the next year or two... we need to acquire more futures and we need those futures to get better. "

Translation: Don't expect a roster player to be traded.

As usual Holland talks out both sides of his mouth. Says we NEED futures but a sensible guess is that he isn't willing to unload more than an UFA or scraps like Jurco, Ott, Smith, or Mrazek. Then the media can report Detroit is hoarding draft picks. In his presser he went on to say the same thing as last spring, "lots" of kids will be working their way from GR in the next year or two. Sure...

I think he's afraid to move one of his signed players because the return will prove how foolish the majority of his deals are. Again I believe there's no pressure to shake up the team or make a statement. Management can putt along in low gear without any repercussions.

Reactions: avssuc

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Might just mean Boston was stupid. Doesn't mean every other team has to be just as stupid.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Need to make room for Rasmussen or Svechnikov next year anyways. Seeing what Toronto gave up for Plekanec is making me frustrated with Holland. Our assets are only going to lose value going forward playing on a bottom feeder team

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Pretty sure I've read he's leaning very strongly towards staying with the Islanders. Regardless it should be obvious to nearly everyone we are a really bad hockey club, so no need to be at maximum salary cap. Don't pay to send off crappy contacts but shedding salary for picks is the right move as we try to build a competitive hockey club.

So yeah, trade Tatar or Nyquist. Wondering if something will get done with Green. That would be a huge miss if he isn't traded.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

"So how open am I for business? I'm open for business... I think... over the next year or two... hopefully we'll continue to make moves that will impact this team down the road. Am I open to discussion? Yeah... I'm open to talking about lots of things, the reality is most of it doesn't happen, but over the next year or two... we need to acquire more futures and we need those futures to get better. "

As usual Holland talks out both sides of his mouth. Says we NEED futures but a sensible guess is that he isn't willing to unload more than an UFA or scraps like Jurco, Ott, Smith, or Mrazek. Then the media can report Detroit is hoarding draft picks. In his presser he went on to say the same thing as last spring, "lots" of kids will be working their way from GR in the next year or two. Sure...

I think he's afraid to move one of his signed players because the return will prove how foolish the majority of his deals are. Again I believe there's no pressure to shake up the team or make a statement. Management can putt along in low gear without any repercussions.

This times 1000

Only two possible truths

1. Ownership is not invested in the long-term success of the franchise therefore does not want a rebuild

Or

2. Our players do not hold substantial value outside 1 or 2 ELC players

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well as of tonight we will see what Hollands true plans are, if nothing is done I really don't see how any one can defend keeping the guy around.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
McKenzie said 2nd+Prospect but if Nash got that kind of return no reason not to believe that Nyquist and Tatar with more term can't get slightly more.

Rick Nash is a superior player to both of them though. Talk about his decline all you want, he is a massive player with a complete 200 foot game.

Maybe they can get slightly more, but Tatar and Nyquist are not Rick Nash, they don't generate that level of interest or payout. Even a UFA Rick Nash with his abysmal playoff history. He still is a guy that industry insiders are going to like a lot more in my opinion.

Reactions: razor ray
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Bob McKenzie said both are worth a 2nd if I remember correctly.

Ken Holland is a bigger idiot than I thought if he trades Tatar or Nyquist and all he gets is a 2nd round pick. If a first, or a solid prospect (valued as a 1st) is not offered then you don't make a trade, it's pretty simple.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Might just mean Boston was stupid. Doesn't mean every other team has to be just as stupid.

And even if his stats don't reflect it and he isn't the consistent scorer he used to be, rick nash is 1.5 the player tatar is - he can play in all situations (and is really good on the defensive side), is a better puckhandler, athlete and on the boards. Only his shot is worse than tatars at this point in time, but still has more goals

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

The translation is that you can’t just decide that you want to sell and just immediately sell players. A team has to want to buy your player and it has to be a return that is actually better than what you’re giving up.

Yes, Holland could stand to be more proactive, but you know if he traded Tatar for a 2nd, people would ***** about the return.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
And even if his stats don't reflect it and he isn't the consistent scorer he used to be, rick nash is 1.5 the player tatar is - he can play in all situations (and is really good on the defensive side), is a better puckhandler, athlete and on the boards. Only his shot is worse than tatars at this point in time, but still has more goals

Yeah but Tatar isn't a rental. Sure his production is down, but he's top 6, 20+ goal winger who can snipe. That's worth a first, if you don't get a 1st, don't trade him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The translation is that you can’t just decide that you want to sell and just immediately sell players. A team has to want to buy your player and it has to be a return that is actually better than what you’re giving up.

Yes, Holland could stand to be more proactive, but you know if he traded Tatar for a 2nd, people would ***** about the return.

Absoluely

That begs the question though... Why dont (or wouldnt) Holland have players others would want outside of Larkin or mantha?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad