Post-Game Talk: A goal! Baby steps. 3-1 Wings

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Trash coach just like Boucher, unlike Boucher he was gifted the late 2000 red wings. When the going gets tough he resorts to a defensive shell and hopes for lucky goals. It may be effective at times, but it represents everything wrong with NHL hockey as a product in the past 20 years.

Reactions: dsred

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Dangle was saying is it actually possible the sports science team is telling Babcock to play certain guys more for now.
Look Babs has his toys, and we know who they are. However is Babcock really this dumb with the ice time? Is he really? Look we know he makes wierd decisions at times but he is literally coaching like an ECHL coach right now. Babcock cant be this dumb. Can he? Its hard to believe he is.

Dangle also mentioned they have to be doing this on purpose(as in their style of play) right?

Dear lord..........Dangle was saying this, Dangle saying that, really? Babcock has his Ego and his "i will reinvent the game problem" and yes frankly suffers from "small mans syndrome..........But to come on here and use Dangle as a reference to hockey? Strange

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
It's Dec and I find myself doing other things while the game is on, or just plain turning it off and going to bed. Those early games in the year when we were winning with 4 or more goals a game, were really exciting to watch. My eyes were glued to the tv during the play. The pressure they put on other teams was amazing to watch. They seemed to skate almost everyone into the ground.
Now I'm only listening to the game, and with who is usually calling the game, I'm not even listening much anymore.

Please Babcock, step back, look at the whole picture and fix this. We shouldn't be having this much trouble scoring.

It's depressing watching this team now.

Feb 24, 2004
It's Dec and I find myself doing other things while the game is on, or just plain turning it off and going to bed. Those early games in the year when we were winning with 4 or more goals a game, were really exciting to watch. My eyes were glued to the tv during the play. The pressure they put on other teams was amazing to watch. They seemed to skate almost everyone into the ground.
Now I'm only listening to the game, and with who is usually calling the game, I'm not even listening much anymore.

Please Babcock, step back, look at the whole picture and fix this. We shouldn't be having this much trouble scoring.

It seems like they’ve switched the style to more dump and chase. What do you think?

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Honestly people you do not know anything close to what Babcock knows about the game. It's not the coach. He knows how you win and it isn't playing firehouse hockey. There are some who can play a winning brand and most on here don't like them. Up 1-0 I'd take Hyman on the ice over Marner a million times over and Marner isn't getting that 1 in that type of game.

Feb 24, 2004
Nylander wasn't trying so it's not like they missed out on anything.

Do you really that believe that - down a goal - it’s smart to play guys like Bozak, Leo, Hyman, Brown instead of Nylander?

There seems to be this undercurrent of punishing our best players for transgressions far less egregious than those committed by our low-skilled guys.

Not to single you out, but it’s double standards that enable Babcock to (sort of) get away with his wild line combinations.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The Leafs were playing their fifth game in seven nights.

Second night of a back-to-back.

Backup goalie.

No Matthews.

Chill the f out.
You think it’s only about THIS game? The team has played like crap for the past month and that is a direct result of our coach’s decision-making.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When we needed a push, Babcock decided to give Kapanen extra shifts at the expense of... Nylander.

I've been a huge fan of Babs, but I don't know how you don't criticize him for his decisions lately.
For me I thought this year should have been about getting our future into their long term positions, seeing what chemistry you had in different combinations and moving those players who aren't in the long range plans. Then seeing what you are still missing. Eg, we need a power forward, we need a defensive winger, we need a 4D. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

I was in Detroit last nite ...beautifull new building ,great food no lineups for washrooms what a nice treat .
that being said seeing the leafs live was a total shock of lack of creativity almost like they all got tired at once
mitch marner is hurt or there is an underlying issue ,he is just not strong right now ,even heard a few catcalls his way ...
he is getting hit regularly now with no chance of retribution by him .
sadly to say as one veteran leaf fan pointed out ,more like cliff ronning or ray whitney ,and that being said ,
how long before babcock decides he doesn't need a small unproductive player as apposed to bigger one
nylander looks big enuf live ,just not following any of hs shots too the net .
anyways both lou lam and mark hunter were there last nite ..lou was on the phone a lot .
anyways happy sat

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
We all have a lot of thoughts on everything to do with the team right now but I want to say this...

Tuesday, Thursday, Friday games on the road is hard scheduling for any team to go through without their best player. This is the most respectable 3 game Leaf losing streak I can remember in a long time. These were all very close games. The team will come out of it.

Reactions: Gallagbi
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Honestly people you do not know anything close to what Babcock knows about the game. It's not the coach. He knows how you win and it isn't playing firehouse hockey. There are some who can play a winning brand and most on here don't like them. Up 1-0 I'd take Hyman on the ice over Marner a million times over and Marner isn't getting that 1 in that type of game.

So you would rather sit back and hold onto a 1-0 lead?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We all have a lot of thoughts on everything to do with the team right now but I want to say this...

Tuesday, Thursday, Friday games on the road is hard scheduling for any team to go through without their best player. This is the most respectable 3 game Leaf losing streak I can remember in a long time. These were all very close games. The team will come out of it.

pretty much.
the way they are playing now is not permanent
the leafs are in a big slump
a lot of players have struggled this entire season before the style of play was changed.

it will change.
we'll get out of it.
they'll snap out of it.

it's not a big.

Reactions: Bullseye

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There's going to be ups and downs in each season. At the start of November, a stretch of games played on the west coast looks bleak because of who you're playing and the travel time. Then you come back home and stable the ship and rattle off 6 wins in a row.

In December, they've only had 2 home games and they're bouncing around to Philly, Minnesota and then Detroit. Not really far, but 3 in 4 nights.

And because of that stretch, you can see it in their legs. I don't think that they're sustaining play as well as they had before. You aren't seeing the movement in the offensive zone that they were doing to win games.

But it's only game 34 & there is more than half a season to go. Should the Leafs have won against the Red wings? Yes, they should have beat them. Is it frustrating when they don't? Of course, any loss is frustrating.

Reactions: canadon

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Babcock, B as in boring.

I really hope he got a master plan that is worthy of this pain.

He did said there would be pain but I hoped that meant putting our most talented players in though spots meaning they might fail and lose us games at times, just as they then also would win us games. But he seem to have gone into trying to win mode and play the vets ahead of youth.

Well, mostly I am irritatef how he treats Nylander but also Marner.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Philly minnesota detroit?? You kidding me
They been playing bad even when winning was only a matter of time

Im tired of babcock and i was a big fan b4

What were the other options for Babcock to do during that stretch?

In Philly, there is only 1 line that is going to beat you. Essentially, you shut down Couturier, Giroux line, your chances are very high to win the game. They didn't. Philly won.

Detroit on a back to back. Lax play on power play by your best players lead to a short handed goal and that was the difference.

So it's Babcock's fault that his best players didn't compete on the power play and it was Babcock's fault that Kadri's line didn't shut down Philly's top line when it counted?

I understand it's easier to throw 1 coach under the bus than 20 players.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Babcock, B as in boring.

He did said there would be pain but I hoped that meant putting our most talented players in though spots meaning they might fail and lose us games at times, just as they then also would win us games. But he seem to have gone into trying to win mode and play the vets ahead of youth.

Nylander is one of the laziest players on the ice unless he has the puck. There is very few times that I see him compete for a full shift.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
"We cannot be fair weather fans!"
-Don Cherry

Seriously people! This is not a panic situation. We've maintained our position in the Atlantic for quite a while now. A couple of wins strung together will heal everything. There is no reason to think this team cannot make improvements.

Let's talk about ice time and proper roster players after a few playoff games.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yup they looked awful even after been gifted the early first goal. The last time Matthews was out, Marleau stepped up but this time no vet has instead they seemed to be going through the motions.

Willing to give them a pass as they were missing their best player and playing 5th game in 7 days.

Let's see how they rebound on Tuesday afternoon.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Babcock has a notorious rep for leaning on vets/grinders .. This isn't surprising. And as infuriating as it is to watch them play bigger minutes ahead of Nylander and Marner, etc, it's important to see that those kids have been struggling this year. They don't appear that they're ready to handle the load of leading the team yet. And throwing them into the deep end may do more damage than good at this point.

The vets need to step up amidst this losing streak - Marleau, Kadri, JVR, Bozak, etc ... And they haven't.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Babcock has a notorious rep for leaning on vets/grinders .. This isn't surprising. And as infuriating as it is to watch them play bigger minutes ahead of Nylander and Marner, etc, it's important to see that those kids have been struggling this year. They don't appear that they're ready to handle the load of leading the team yet. And throwing them into the deep end may do more damage than good at this point.

The vets need to step up amidst this losing streak - Marleau, Kadri, JVR, Bozak, etc ... And they haven't.

Yup. Time to realize that the idea that we have some amazing opportunity to win the cup now because the kids are on ELC's is a mirage. They need another couple of years and with that in mind, it's time to trade our pending UFA's and focus on the future. The future is not now.

Just recently the optimists were beating their chests saying in the playoffs we don't need to fear any team except TB. Well who has reason to fear us at this point?

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Babcock, B as in boring.

It's almost like he said there would be pain, but the team ended up being pretty good and the pain never came, so now he's manufacturing it on his own.

Whatever the master plan is, it's currently not working. Square peg in a round hole sort of situation where we're taking a team full of exciting and creative offensive talent and trying to make them play in a way they're just not wired to play. Tightening up D is one thing but trying to shift the mindset of almost an entire young team at once is a Herculean task.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad