Post-Game Talk: A goal! Baby steps. 3-1 Wings

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
But that is kind of tough to orchestrate.

JVR has 15 goals which is on pace for 37 goals on the season (with a career best 29). Since you can't control when a player scores and he is projecting for a career best its hard to pin Leafs losses on a player like him for example. Kadri on pace for 31 and Marleau 27 also projecting to last year..

On the other hand Marner has 2 goals on pace for 5 goals after scoring 19 times in his rookie year in 77 games. Nylander on pace for 12 goals this year after 22 last year. They're on pace for 17 goals combined when ~25 goals each might have been hoped for as improvements of rookie seasons.

Seems sophomore goal scoring slumps is the root of Leafs goal scoring problems.
unless maybe they didn't work hard enuff in the summer ,marner looks slower ,like he hesitates on his first step

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the difference between us and most teams is our offensive talent (forwards + defense) is arguably the best in the league. When you can be the best in the league at something, you're a dangerous team

We haven't looked dangerous for some time now, the word toothless comes to mind. It comes down to wins and losses and at the moment, I believe we're 10th overall by PPG% and trending downward.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We haven't looked dangerous for some time now, the word toothless comes to mind. It comes down to wins and losses and at the moment, I believe we're 10th overall by PPG% and trending downward.
I agree we look toothless, but I think it's more because of coaching rather than anything else. Talent like what Nylander and Marner have offensively isn't something that disappears on its own

Reactions: ToMaLe

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well the sophomores haven't been playing good all season yet the leafs have still been scoring. This month the offence is dried up and that still includes the sophomores struggling so it's not their fault the offence has been weak this month.

Leafs top 6 goal scorers.

1. James van Riemsdyk, LW ..... 15 goals
2. Auston Matthews C ................ 13 goals
2. Nazem Kadri C ........................... 13 goals
4. Patrick Marleau LW ............... 11 goals
5. Connor Brown RW ................. 9 goals
6. Zach Hyman LW ...................... 6 goals
6. Tyler Bozak C ............................. 6 goals

Leafs need more goals from these guys so they don't need to rely on their Nylander (5), Moore (4) Komarov (3), Martin (2) and Marner (2)

So JVR has 15 goals and Leafs bottom 5 goal scoring forwards have 16 goals combined, but its JVR fault we are not scoring and not winning?

Problem always was Leafs early season goal scoring antics was never going to sustain early season paces or we would have numerous 50 goal scorers. JVR is still on pace now for 37 goals which is +8 more than his career best (29). So if anything JVR will slow down even more still to hit his usually 25-30 yearly range.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Well the sophomores haven't been playing good all season yet the leafs have still been scoring. This month the offence is dried up and that still includes the sophomores struggling so it's not their fault the offence has been weak this month.

just re-read your paragraph please, because it makes no sense.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
this thread is cancer.. the team loses a few games and its the end of the world. we weren't supposed to be this good already and the team is still going through growing pains. marner is a 20 year old skinny kid and people shit on him constantly. nylander apparently doesn't even try. babcock is apparently a moron who was lucky to win as much as he has. they had a rough patch earlier in the season and turned it around and they will again.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have a hard time believing that Nylander has any issue with confidence in himself

It doesn't work like that

No matter how much skill someone has or how they can project complete confidence in themselves and their own ability when things aren't going someone's way it's amazing how the confidence and belief can drain out of a player

Reactions: Anthrax442

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I mean if you watched the games you probably would have noticed.

I'm pretty sure he's been more effective and noticeable then a few other wingers that play over 16-18 minutes every night.

Yeah, no, I got it, I watch every game too, and he is just there. I mean, he is not awful, but he isn't better than anyone really. I mean, I guess he is fine for 3rd and 4th line duties, but people here talk him up like he is the next Jesus, and I think he is the next Jesús

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Exactly my point, you constantly dink 4th line players because of production yet now admits like manna from heaven 8-10 mins a game ....makes point production a tough go!

And you may have played hockey with mini sticks and all.....My references to playing are of a being "Paid to play" variety.
You have never been paid to play...your posts would suggest such if you did...sorry i do not see a Paid player in your postings.

There’s a difference between producing at a first line level and above average for a 4th liner. A player isn’t going to put up 50-60 points playing 10 min a night, an good 4th liner could still pot 25-30ish.

And you’d likely make points better without relying on being condescending. These boards are full of guys who played a couple seasons of junior B Hockey, doesn’t mean their opinions suddenly matter any more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree we look toothless, but I think it's more because of coaching rather than anything else. Talent like what Nylander and Marner have offensively isn't something that disappears on its own

Coaching, Polak, whoever else, what's the difference? They're all part of our team and our team just isn't that good, that's all there is to it. It's a process, it takes time and there will be pain. I just think we should embrace the pain, understand that we're not quite ready for prime time yet and cash in some of our trade chips before they walk as UFA's.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, no, I got it, I watch every game too, and he is just there. I mean, he is not awful, but he isn't better than anyone really. I mean, I guess he is fine for 3rd and 4th line duties, but people here talk him up like he is the next Jesus, and I think he is the next Jesús

Nobody said he's the next jesus other than people that can't seem to grasp that an effective player should be playing over those that are not. It's really that simple.

Stop with the nonsense that people say he's great or something. Nobody said that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad