Post-Game Talk: A goal! Baby steps. 3-1 Wings

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm sure glad we keep playing Komarov so much. It's not Leivo hasn't been really good or anything. Nope.

Reactions: Paradoc

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hey remember when people were pointing out the warning signs but were told to "shut up and enjoy the wins"? If you people have always watched the Leafs with that mentality do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Are you speaking about when the Leafs were playing pond hockey, last goal wins early in October, and giving up an embarrassing near bottom of the league goals against trying to win 8-6 and 6-5 every game and fans said that will never last to try and outscore your mistakes its Russian Roulette and unsustainable despite the winning record?

Babcock knew teams would adjust and adapt and slow the attack and then Leafs would be in big trouble.. Looks like he was right and saw it coming.

Leafs in October 3.8 goals for/game, November 3.3, and now in December 1.5 goals for per game.

As the attack has dried up as predicted, its only been Andersen that has saved the Leafs bacon lately to allow the Leafs to maintain a winning record by getting outshot, outplayed and outworked almost every night.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Good points.
I would also argue that some of our vets (especially JVR and Bozak) just don’t step up when needed. They were mediocre in the playoffs too. It has to be deflating as a young player to see the vets like Komarov on the PP and getting all kinds of ice time and doing very little.

Not so sure about that.

5 pts: Matthews, Reilly.
4 pts: Bozak, Marner, Hyman, Nylander
3 pts: JVR, Gardiner

A fairly decent playoffs for the vets.

I thought the kids were the problem so far this year, but all that scoring early in the year, they still look pretty productive. JVR (trade him!!!) and Kadri are having good seasons. Meanwhile, Bozak has fallen off a cliff.

As for our lousy useless coach, didn't we just set some record for the 3rd fastest start in franchise history (20th win in the 31st game)? Or was 5 days ago too far in the past to matter any more?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Key phrase: Amidst the losing streak.

But that is kind of tough to orchestrate.

JVR has 15 goals which is on pace for 37 goals on the season (with a career best 29). Since you can't control when a player scores and he is projecting for a career best its hard to pin Leafs losses on a player like him for example. Kadri on pace for 31 and Marleau 27 also projecting to last year..

On the other hand Marner has 2 goals on pace for 5 goals after scoring 19 times in his rookie year in 77 games. Nylander on pace for 12 goals this year after 22 last year. They're on pace for 17 goals combined when ~25 goals each might have been hoped for as improvements of rookie seasons.

Seems sophomore goal scoring slumps is the root of Leafs goal scoring problems.

Reactions: socko

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Not so sure about that.

I thought the kids were the problem so far this year, but all that scoring early in the year, they still look pretty productive. JVR (trade him!!!) and Kadri are having good seasons. Meanwhile, Bozak has fallen off a cliff.

As for our lousy useless coach, didn't we just set some record for the 3rd fastest start in franchise history (20th win in the 31st game)? Or was 5 days ago too far in the past to matter any more?

About the fastest start, a lot of it was the offence which the coach neutered. Then Andersen went into God mode. Not sure if Babcock should be credited much. Last season, he was doing a good job. Not sure what the hell happened this season.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The old guard of Bozak, Komarov and JVR just cant push the pace 5 on 5 and especially not for a full 60 minutes.

JVR is easily the best and most valuble piece (still 9 goals at ev strength) but in a 60 minute game these three dont bring much speed, intensity or consistency to detail anymore.

Reactions: hullsy47

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
But that is kind of tough to orchestrate.

JVR has 15 goals which is on pace for 37 goals on the season (with a career best 29). Since you can't control when a player scores and he is projecting for a career best its hard to pin Leafs losses on a player like him for example. Kadri on pace for 31 and Marleau 27 also projecting to last year..

On the other hand Marner has 2 goals on pace for 5 goals after scoring 19 times in his rookie year in 77 games. Nylander on pace for 12 goals this year after 22 last year. They're on pace for 17 goals combined when ~25 goals each might have been hoped for as improvements of rookie seasons.

Seems sophomore goal scoring slumps is the root of Leafs goal scoring problems.
i disagree. the leafs were still firing on all cylinders with marner and nylander struggling. now since the whole team is struggling offensively, marner/nylander's struggles are incorreclty magnified. if anything its the vets fault we're not scoring more goals

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not so sure about that.

Lousy coach. Not sure where you got that. He's not without some blame however.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leivo been good? When? Whether he is in the game or not, he is barely noticeable

I mean if you watched the games you probably would have noticed.

I'm pretty sure he's been more effective and noticeable then a few other wingers that play over 16-18 minutes every night.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I’m going to be pissed if JVR doesn’t get moved at the TDL. I’ll wash LL car for a year if he moves Bozak. A guy who could win face offs on the 4th line ? Could be a huge asset.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yup thanks to Babcock, Leafs are off to their 3rd best start in 100 year franchise history.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
i disagree. the leafs were still firing on all cylinders with marner and nylander struggling. now since the whole team is struggling offensively, marner/nylander's struggles are incorreclty magnified. if anything its the vets fault we're not scoring more goals

Are you smoking right now? The vets all lead the team in scoring right now. The sophomores have been playing like absolute ass. How can you argue against hard concerte proof. The numbers don't lie, the vets have been scoring

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Are you smoking right now? The vets all lead the team in scoring right now. The sophomores have been playing like absolute ass. How can you argue against hard concerte proof. The numbers don't lie, the vets have been scoring
Well the sophomores haven't been playing good all season yet the leafs have still been scoring. This month the offence is dried up and that still includes the sophomores struggling so it's not their fault the offence has been weak this month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad