Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well it depends...

If Yzerman says so, Yes,

We'll wait 3 more years till he's Larkin.

In-between Wings will sign old guys and make trades for Klim Kostin, Yamamoto and maybe another backup goalie brought in while we wait for drafted talent to emerge.

Rebuild should be wrapped up possibly by 2043 with our first playoff appearance, maybe earlier; 2031 if Berggren resigns.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
assuming Raymond and Seider keep improving, and ASP, Edvinsson, Mazur and Cossa or Augustine hit their ceilings, sure why not lol

that's a lot of assumptions though
We need 1 of SYs draftees to become Kucherov and another Point...

Who that is dosent matter..but to win we need that kind of elite talent

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We need 1 of SYs draftees to become Kucherov and another Point...

Who that is dosent matter..but to win we need that kind of elite talent
in terms of Kuch, theres not a single prospect out there with that talent level...maybe Matvei Michkov, but we dont have anything near a Kuch in the system

Buchelnikov continues to be a complete wildcard. Chances are he never plays an NHL game, but from highlights I've seen, and reports I've read, the skill level is off the charts. Maybe we somehow hit the jackpot with him and he becomes something special? He has solid numbers this year in the KHL for a 20 year old, so who knows.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
in terms of Kuch, theres not a single prospect out there with that talent level...maybe Matvei Michkov, but we dont have anything near a Kuch in the system

Buchelnikov continues to be a complete wildcard. Chances are he never plays an NHL game, but from highlights I've seen, and reports I've read, the skill level is off the charts. Maybe we somehow hit the jackpot with him and he becomes something special? He has solid numbers this year in the KHL for a 20 year old, so who knows.
Oh I don't disagree...

Just saying we need that level of talent to become and sustain top level contender status

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Veleno in his d+1 had 104 points after only 59 games

Anyway I see him as atop line wing , not a center

Danielson will be a center in the NHL.

Also, Veleno played in the QMJHL. Way weaker league than the WHL. And don't forget that Danielson joined Portland late in the season.

Reactions: jkutswings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Velenos 4th full season in the Q vs Danielsons 3rd in the Dub
It's Nate's 4th season as well, I don't know why he only played a partial season in 20-21.

Also, the WHL is much tougher than the Q, but Firkus (2022 #35OA, Seattle) is absolutely lighting it up this season.

And I definitely see Nate as a center. LFG is a center.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Projecting players based on their junior stats is the worst way to get hopes up on your prospects.

There is unequivocal question that Danielson will be a C in the NHL. His offensive ceiling is raw so I understand it's hard for some to peg if he will be a Middle-6 C or a Top-6 C. Some players, despite not being "flashy" just look like they get it, and Danielson is exactly that player. I think he will fill into that offensive raw-ness eventually after a couple seasons with the Red Wings.

But honestly he's just gonna be an elite Glendening and play 3C for us.

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Firkus is "lighting it up" because it's juniors. Projecting both players skillsets, there's a reason Danielson went #9 and rose up the boards all year in a deep draft, and Firkus went in the 2nd round of an average draft.

It's funny that players who put up big numbers in junior seem to always get the benefit of the doubt. Until they flop in the AHL and people sit there asking "how could this happen?".

There is unequivocal question that Danielson will be a C in the NHL. His offensive ceiling is raw so I understand it's hard for some to peg if he will be a Middle-6 C or a Top-6 C. Some players, despite not being "flashy" just look like they get it, and Danielson is exactly that player. I think he will fill into that offensive raw-ness eventually after a couple seasons with the Red Wings.
I see some highlights of Danielson where he looks like a natural goal scorer, some where he looks like a natural playmaker, and some where he looks like a lockdown grind-line type C.

The guy is almost certain to reach his floor (3c) but his possible ceiling is incredibly high if he keeps developing and puts these different aspects of his game together. Some of the players in his draft class may put up 10-20 more points per season but Danielson's ceiling is a guy that will completely tilt the ice in his favor.

The guy has skating, edgework, grit, passing, shooting, maturity, and a high hockey IQ. He doesn't have the combination of elite traits that let guys like Bedard/McDavid embarrass the opposition in the offensive zone, but he has every possible tool in his toolbox and he's very good at using them. I project him as a guy you can play on the PP, PK, down a goal, or up a goal and get results.

The biggest barrier to development for guys who move from juniors to professional play is coachability and Danielson is eminently coachable. I'd love to see him come up and learn from Kane next season.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I see some highlights of Danielson where he looks like a natural goal scorer, some where he looks like a natural playmaker, and some where he looks like a lockdown grind-line type C.

The guy is almost certain to reach his floor (3c) but his possible ceiling is incredibly high if he keeps developing and puts these different aspects of his game together. Some of the players in his draft class may put up 10-20 more points per season but Danielson's ceiling is a guy that will completely tilt the ice in his favor.

The guy has skating, edgework, grit, passing, shooting, maturity, and a high hockey IQ. He doesn't have the combination of elite traits that let guys like Bedard/McDavid embarrass the opposition in the offensive zone, but he has every possible tool in his toolbox and he's very good at using them. I project him as a guy you can play on the PP, PK, down a goal, or up a goal and get results.

The biggest barrier to development for guys who move from juniors to professional play is coachability and Danielson is eminently coachable. I'd love to see him come up and learn from Kane next season.

I fully agree with you! He shows legitimate high end traits in all those fashions, he just needs some time to put them together, like any normal prospect does. How I'm confident he will be able to do that is how you pointed out that he's such a smart player everywhere on the ice (especially defensively) and his ability to fit right in to any system. Players who have that foundation to build on, especially when they're that big and possess that speed, are really overlooked players.

Not many players come inches from making the opening night roster right out of their first training camp. He just looked like he was not out of place, even though he wasn't gonna be lighting it up offensively. It's nice to see that he's got so much talent to grow into and I think he'll be successful. His speed, size and skill combo is perfect for us.

For real, his coachability/60 is gonna be off the charts

You replied and this exposed my edit how dare you :sarcasm:

Reactions: jkutswings

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I’ve been saying it since the draft but Danielson has an extremely high ceiling!

Reactions: deca guard

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the "QMJHL=HIGH SCORING!!!!!!!11111" narrative is tiresome and has been for like a decade now

the WHL this year has had 7.17 goals scored per game compared to the 6.92 per game the QMJHL had that Veleno year people are talking about, and Veleno was 4th in the QMJHL with his 104 points that year while the WHL this year already has 5 players with more than that and will likely have another couple by the time the season is over

not massive differences but again just a very tiresome narrative among the different Junior Leagues

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
We need this guy to knock it out of the park real bad. If he can become a Bergeron type player the whole makeup of this team and window changes completely. If he ends up Danault, we’re in trouble. Here’s hoping.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
the "QMJHL=HIGH SCORING!!!!!!!11111" narrative is tiresome and has been for like a decade now

the WHL this year has had 7.17 goals scored per game compared to the 6.92 per game the QMJHL had that Veleno year people are talking about, and Veleno was 4th in the QMJHL with his 104 points that year while the WHL this year already has 5 players with more than that and will likely have another couple by the time the season is over

not massive differences but again just a very tiresome narrative among the different Junior Leagues
It's the quality of competition. You can score same amount of total points, but it's harder at WHL.

Different level of leagues. 60 AHL points are not 60 NHL points.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's the quality of competition. You can score same amount of total points, but it's harder at WHL.

Different level of leagues. 60 AHL points are not 60 NHL points.
QMJHL vs WHL is more like SM-Liiga vs SHL, not AHL vs NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad