Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Play has completely gotten away from the Royals lol, they had their 1st shot of the period 12 minutes into the 3rd. Hawks have dominated since halfway through the 2nd

Danielson showing hands and speed lots tonight, many rushes

Royals finally get on the board again, PP goal

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Hawks win 6-2, shots 53-16

I don't think any one player would be MVP of this game, Hawks are just a wagon altogether. Dangerous team. Danielson was the most noticeable though, he's always in the right places

Easily the most talented and the offense runs through him. Plays all situations. Good on the faceoff dot. His game is just so well-tailored to pro hockey

Best of what I saw from him tonight:
+ IQ, excellent position all over the ice. Reads the play like a pro. Never got caught in a bad play position-wise. Like I said, the puck follows him and he's gonna put up a surprising amount of points because of that
+ Skating/speed/edges, is going to be a major weapon in the NHL, picks up speed like Larkin and the crossovers are effortless. Gains so much speed through the neutral zone and in transition.
+ Puck hound, pain in the ass to play against. Always helping below the goal line on defense and breaking up plays.
+ Breakouts and zone entries very good.

Royals weren't very good as the game went on but Nate was just consistent all game. Could've had a couple more points at least

Cagnoni is good, not sure I see NHL potential in him but maybe a good AHL scoring d-man. Stefan and Klassen are good overagers, not sure I see NHL potential.

Royals have a 2025 eligible Cole Reschny, a bit on the slighter side but he has 46 points in 51 games good for 3rd on the team as a 16 year old. Good hands, could stand to be more of a speed threat at 5'9 160. He's worth keeping an eye on

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Hawks win 6-2, shots 53-16

I don't think any one player would be MVP of this game, Hawks are just a wagon altogether. Dangerous team. Danielson was the most noticeable though, he's always in the right places

Easily the most talented and the offense runs through him. Plays all situations. Good on the faceoff dot. His game is just so well-tailored to pro hockey

Best of what I saw from him tonight:
+ IQ, excellent position all over the ice. Reads the play like a pro. Never got caught in a bad play position-wise. Like I said, the puck follows him and he's gonna put up a surprising amount of points because of that
+ Skating/speed/edges, is going to be a major weapon in the NHL, picks up speed like Larkin and the crossovers are effortless. Gains so much speed through the neutral zone and in transition.
+ Puck hound, pain in the ass to play against. Always helping below the goal line on defense and breaking up plays.
+ Breakouts and zone entries very good.

Royals weren't very good as the game went on but Nate was just consistent all game. Could've had a couple more points at least

Cagnoni is good, not sure I see NHL potential in him but maybe a good AHL scoring d-man. Stefan and Klassen are good overagers, not sure I see NHL potential.

Royals have a 2025 eligible Cole Reschny, a bit on the slighter side but he has 46 points in 51 games good for 3rd on the team as a 16 year old. Good hands, could stand to be more of a speed threat at 5'9 160. He's worth keeping an eye on
Why only point out of 6 goals

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Why only point out of 6 goals
He won the draw on the Hawks 2nd goal that went in the net 5 seconds after the faceoff was won. Basically an assist :sarcasm:

He had a handful of very good chances, just couldn't bury them or the goalie made a big save. It happens

Points aren't everything, the way he disrupts play and transitions is how offense is created in the big leagues. He had many breakouts (controlled and uncontrolled) and rushes where the puck was right back in the offensive zone. The way he was tilting the ice isn't always going to show up on the scoreboard but led to sustained zone time shift after shift

I will say his shots on goal from distance could tend to be a bit more consistently dangerous

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
He won the draw on the Hawks 2nd goal that went in the net 5 seconds after the faceoff was won. Basically an assist :sarcasm:

He had a handful of very good chances, just couldn't bury them or the goalie made a big save. It happens

Points aren't everything, the way he disrupts play and transitions is how offense is created in the big leagues. He had many breakouts (controlled and uncontrolled) and rushes where the puck was right back in the offensive zone. The way he was tilting the ice isn't always going to show up on the scoreboard but led to sustained zone time shift after shift

I will say his shots on goal from distance could tend to be a bit more consistently dangerous

You seeing Barzal type?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
You seeing Barzal type?
I see another Larkin to be completely honest with you. Maybe slightly better defensively and slightly lesser goal scoring prowess.

I think if Danielson can get his release quickened up a bit more especially when on the rush, he will back off defense more. Doing so, that will allow his playmaking to open up more too.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
This is why i have cooled off on the +/- stat column. You could just get on the ice when the other team is on a breakaway and you automatically get a - if they score when you were on the ice for all of 1 second. Yes, it's an outlier, but still.

I also hate how we calculate pp% as well. Same premise, you get on the powerplay for 5 seconds and you take a penalty, nullifying your pp opportunity but it automatically goes 0/1 on the pp, same goes for the other team when they get out of the box 5 seconds before the other guy. They should go off of pp time.

Example: we score 0.75 goals per 2 minutes of powerplay time. It's like the Goals/60 stats but instead would be PPG/2 minutes of pp time stats. Are they doing this yet?
But you can also be lucky the other way that your team gets a breakaway and scores just as you get on the ice. Those situations evens out itc of the season.
There was one situation where a player got an assist but not +1 as he passed the puck and went for the change and the team scored.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
But you can also be lucky the other way that your team gets a breakaway and scores just as you get on the ice. Those situations evens out itc of the season.
There was one situation where a player got an assist but not +1 as he passed the puck and went for the change and the team scored.
And then there are assists awarded, like you describe, that have more to do with teammates than playmaking.

Stats don't tell everything about a player.

Reactions: 14ari13

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
absolutely, I just think that most times, you have absolutely nothing to do with what is going on on the ice because of whatever reason and you get a - or + for doing absolutely nothing to help or hurt the situation.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
absolutely, I just think that most times, you have absolutely nothing to do with what is going on on the ice because of whatever reason and you get a - or + for doing absolutely nothing to help or hurt the situation.
Maatta is +14
Gostibehere -17
Seider -3
Walman +7

Rasmussen is +13
Larkin -5
Copp +3

Hronek +34 this season, leads the team (Hughes is +32 and has 27 points more than Hronek), -29 two seasons.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maatta is +14
Gostibehere -17
Seider -3
Walman +7

Rasmussen is +13
Larkin -5
Copp +3

Hronek +34 this season, leads the team (Hughes is +32 and has 27 points more than Hronek), -29 two seasons.

I kept saying you can't judge Hronek until he has a NHL level partner. His best partner with the Wings was Maatta who's basically a 3rd pair D. He was +8 with Maatta, and Quinn is slightly better than Maatta, lol.

As for the current D, usage matters. Maatta is being sheltered, but he does OK when he's not up against fast forwards that can take his bad shots and turn it into goals.

Ghost is sheltered and still bad. He makes me cringe.... a lot. I wish he'd go back to playing the way he did earlier this season, where he was more cautious with the puck. Poor puck handling, bad puck decisions, and taking long distance shots. Horrible.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Ghost is sheltered and still bad. He makes me cringe.... a lot. I wish he'd go back to playing the way he did earlier this season, where he was more cautious with the puck. Poor puck handling, bad puck decisions, and taking long distance shots. Horrible.

Definitely cringe-worthy. You've described why he doesn't have nearly the trade value at the TDL some might think he has. Any playoff team with its PP rotations set and healthy will have very little if any interest in him. Hoping for injuries to their PP QBs sounds like an open invitation to bad karma. If the Wings PP keeps clicking at a top 10 rate, whether it's because of Ghost or not, probably better to keep him and let him walk. An extension has to be out of the question.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Definitely cringe-worthy. You've described why he doesn't have nearly the trade value at the TDL some might think he has. Any playoff team with its PP rotations set and healthy will have very little if any interest in him. Hoping for injuries to their PP QBs sounds like an open invitation to bad karma. If the Wings PP keeps clicking at a top 10 rate, whether it's because of Ghost or not, probably better to keep him and let him walk. An extension has to be out of the question.
That's the beauty of Tampa. We don't have to wish for anything. Their #2 PP guy is already hurt.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Define cringeworthy? I cringed three times watching the Chicago game, lol. I literally cringe. Like I shrug my shoulder and mumble "yikes".

He's worth a 3rd in a trade, that was determined last season. Maybe not even that much considering his playoff performance. I agree I'd rather keep him, because the alternative is Holl, who is just as bad defensively but without the offense.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Define cringeworthy? I cringed three times watching the Chicago game, lol. I literally cringe. Like I shrug my shoulder and mumble "yikes".

He's worth a 3rd in a trade, that was determined last season. Maybe not even that much considering his playoff performance. I agree I'd rather keep him, because the alternative is Holl, who is just as bad defensively but without the offense.
It's been going on for many weeks with Ghost, a reaction much stronger than a shoulder shrug and "Yikes". I close my eyes, shake my head and mutter "Good Lord" the first few times he messes up, and vs. Chicago it was eventually a loud "Get off the f---g ice!" Scared the cats.

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's been going on for many weeks with Ghost, a reaction much stronger than a shoulder shrug and "Yikes". I close my eyes, shake my head and mutter "Good Lord" the first few times he messes up, and vs. Chicago it was eventually a loud "Get off the f---g ice!" Scared the cats.

Seems like we agree, except I only yell at the TV when I'm drunk, lol.

I thought he looked decent early in the season. He's just really sloppy with the puck now, and soft in his own zone.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I kept saying you can't judge Hronek until he has a NHL level partner. His best partner with the Wings was Maatta who's basically a 3rd pair D. He was +8 with Maatta, and Quinn is slightly better than Maatta, lol.

As for the current D, usage matters. Maatta is being sheltered, but he does OK when he's not up against fast forwards that can take his bad shots and turn it into goals.

You were right about Copp. He is so invisible. He might be the most talentless player since abdelkader. But Yzerman thinks he is good defensively and can get the job done.
Maatta is doing great in his "sweltered" role.
Gostibehere is doing fine.
Neither Maatta nor Gostibehere are as terrible as the posters make them be.

Reactions: DamonDRW

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Seems like we agree, except I only yell at the TV when I'm drunk, lol.

I thought he looked decent early in the season. He's just really sloppy with the puck now, and soft in his own zone.
He was decent to good early in the season, no doubt. Maybe he was really trying to keep himself on a short leash and mindful of the master's (Lalonde's) commands. Last month or more, he's been off the leash, chasing squirrels across streets and not noticing traffic coming right at him. Yeah, I have a dog too.

Reactions: Gniwder

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Maatta is +14
Gostibehere -17
Seider -3
Walman +7

Rasmussen is +13
Larkin -5
Copp +3

I have no idea what you are trying to get at with this post but I am going to presume that you are on my side and I thank you for your hard work

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad