Prospect Info: #8OA, Marco Kasper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
He probably COULD play on an NHL 3rd line next year. He's got the speed and he could handle the physical play of the SHL. I'd prefer if he stayed in Rogle for 1 more year to work on his shot and to be a center full time there.

If he plays 45+ games in the SHL next year I'd love to see him get 25+ points and think he's definitely got the skill to do so. That's a really good season for an under 19 player in that league.
For me it depends on whether Rogle will play him at center, or on the wing again. If they won't play him at center, send him to Grand Rapids.

Reactions: BSHH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I mean, there's more than 5 minutes of Kasper highlights on Youtube...but yeah, wasn't overly wowed. Seems like a safe pick. At 8 overall I think you should gamble a bit on skill and potential, but that's just my opinion.

There's a lot more than that. If you have an eliteprospects account I'll send you an article that breaks down Kasper's game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I trust our European scouts a good deal, but I am a little skeptical of this one.

Hopefully he can become a good 2C for us.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Duane Smith

May 31, 2018
Would have rather had Savoie or Nazar.... Oh well, let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
@OgeeOgelthorpe gets his Marco!

I will say, with how fast this decision was made, he was much higher than 8OA for us in my eyes.

And Steve’s comments…he might be a dark horse for the Wings in 2022-23
I would hope not. He needs to go back to Rogle to learn how to be an offensive producer. I think a big reason Kasper is considered to have questionable offensive upside by some is because his game isn’t focused on that. It’s not so much a matter of not having the skill but not prioritizing being an offensive star. He should spend this next year focusing on the scoring side of his game. He doesn’t need to be working on that in the NHL. It’s too hard when trying to adjust to the NHL pace to begin with.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
If Craig Button thought Seider was a Brando Carlo version of a top 4 d, I can't wait to see what the Joel Eriksson Ek version of a top 6 center for Kasper will turn out to be! Nathan Mackinnon lite?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What's his skating like?

What I am reading he is good at everything, but elite and none. He was 17 a few months ago and he's a prospect. Being he is a hard worker, he could find an elite niche to go along with good at everything. Yzerman said he has underrated skill. This feels like a Seider situation all over again.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would hope not. He needs to go back to Rogle to learn how to be an offensive producer. I think a big reason Kasper is considered to have questionable offensive upside by some is because his game isn’t focused on that. It’s not so much a matter of not having the skill but not prioritizing being an offensive star. He should spend this next year focusing on the scoring side of his game. He doesn’t need to be working on that in the NHL. It’s too hard when trying to adjust to the NHL pace to begin with.

Okay so put him in GR where you can extend him the freedom to focus on offensive creation without cheating the defensive side.

You send him to Rogle and he goes back to a team that has playoff and championship aspirations. They don’t have time to let young players learn how to be an offensive producer on the job.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Okay so put him in GR where you can extend him the freedom to focus on offensive creation without cheating the defensive side.

You send him to Rogle and he goes back to a team that has playoff and championship aspirations. They don’t have time to let young players learn how to be an offensive producer on the job.
His role can be arranged with Rogle. We have those connections.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

That's not necessarily true. The Abbotts let Seider play a first pairing role. They let Wallinder earn top 4 and then later top pair ice. And in the playoffs Marco Kasper went from playing 4th line minutes to playing 14-15 minutes a game. That's an SHL team that allows its younger guys to play if and when they earn it.

Remember that unless a 17-18 year old player is an exceptional talent or on a very weak SHL team they get 4th line minutes and are often put in more defensive roles. We saw this with Raymond in Frolunda and he turned out just fine. We also saw this with Fiala and Nylander in their draft years.

Also consider that we've got Kronwall over there working with our kids directly. I would much rather have Kasper working with Kronwall in practice and off the ice than with Ben Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia