Prospect Info: #8OA, Marco Kasper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
well yeah obviously

the point is there's no excuse for the Wings to have been picking 9th in a draft that strong

people here complain about not getting lottery luck all the time but that was the Wings opportunity to get some franchise talent without even needing any right there, screwing that up is just poor GMing

Yeah, except you can’t control where your team finishes. It’s not a video game.

We went out of our way to be the worst before. It got us the 4th pick. That was pretty sick.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, except you can’t control where your team finishes. It’s not a video game.

We went out of our way to be the worst before. It got us the 4th pick. That was pretty sick.

I mean they could have just....not gone quite so overboard with the free agent signings

it wasn't exactly a secret how strong that draft was

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean they could have just....not gone quite so overboard with the free agent signings

it wasn't exactly a secret how strong that draft was
Who says we even would have taken Michkov? Wouldn’t you have thought there would have been some rumors about us trying to trade up a few spots if we liked him?

Looking at the guy who went 5, 6, and 8 in that draft… kinda meh for me.

So we would have had to have had another bottom 3 finish and drafting top 4 to make you happy? I mean that would have been pretty hard to pull off with the progress we’ve been getting from Larkin and our young players. And what if we do all that and just don’t finish bad enough? Then you wasted a year for nothing and have more work to do next year.

You guys are silly with this stuff.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Who says we even would have taken Michkov? Wouldn’t you have thought there would have been some rumors about us trying to trade up a few spots if we liked him?

So we would have had to have had another bottom 3 finish and drafting top 4 to make you happy? I mean that would have been pretty hard to pull off with the progress we’ve been getting from Larkin and our young players. And what if we do all that and just don’t finish bad enough? Then you wasted a year for nothing and have more work to do next year.

Ryan Leonard, a physical power forward with skill who currently has 41 pts in 29 games in college, is meh to you?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

that's like saying it's fine that the Wings ended up with Zadina because they wouldn't have taken Hughes anyways

it might be true but even if it is that doesn't exactly reflect well on Holland either

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ryan Leonard, a physical power forward with skill who currently has 41 pts in 29 games in college, is meh to you?
Ryan Leonard is an unknown to me. Every magic bean looks interesting to one degree or another until they actually play in the NHL.

What I KNOW I like is how Seider and Raymond have started their NHL careers. And the overall seasons that Larkin and Debrincat have had.

The distinct possibility that many fans seem to be doing whatever they can to avoid is that Detroit is trying to build a roster that is based on a collection of great depth but without any elite players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
that's like saying it's fine that the Wings ended up with Zadina because they wouldn't have taken Hughes anyways

it might be true but even if it is that doesn't exactly reflect well on Holland either
Yeah, and you guys saying we should just continue sucking for top 5 picks in perpetuity and then decide to "flip a switch" at some point... that ain't it.

You don't build a beautiful house one week before you move into it.

He would be the one out of that group, but he never did that much for me. I said multiple times last year that I never once watched that USDP team and thought Leonard was a better player than Perreault.

Could end up being wrong there, but that was my take on it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, and you guys saying we should just continue sucking for top 5 picks in perpetuity and then decide to "flip a switch" at some point... that ain't it.

You don't build a beautiful house one week before you move into it.

He would be the one out of that group, but he never did that much for me. I said multiple times last year that I never once watched that USDP team and thought Leonard was a better player than Perreault.

Could end up being wrong there, but that was my take on it.

and you don't rush to buy a run down shack just so you can say you bought a house a week before a beautiful house comes on the market at a discount rate either

there's a middle ground between "never improve ever" and "sign 10 free agents right before the strongest draft class in the past nearly a decade"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"he'd have just messed up the pick anyways" isn't exactly a defense
The risk you run with your strategy is the risk you run with that strategy every year.

You don't suck bad enough to get into the range of the draft where it's actually worthwhile to be in. I think unless you liked Michkov, unless you ended up top 4 last year it does not really matter if you drafted 5 or 7 or 9.

And the very clear downside to this strategy is always brushed aside on here like you can just control where your team finishes, which you cannot.

Refraining from improving your team to hope you end up being bad enough to get an impactful player in the draft and then not ending up in that range is the worst thing you could possibly do as a GM and it is a very real possibility with trying to execute this "strategy" some of you call for on here.

and you don't rush to buy a run down shack just so you can say you bought a house a week before a beautiful house comes on the market at a discount rate either
I have no idea what that means.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Yes we currently have 2 young top guys and for whatever reason were ahead of ottawa THIS season but they clearly have a far superior younger core than the wings

It's all good were competing this season but like I said most of these guys will be gone soon so I'm not getting overly excited with this current team
It seems like you are new to these boards but I would bet that 90% of users on here thought Ottawa would be far ahead of Detroit this year. But look how it is right now? You can say they have superior young Talent, but truthfully, do they?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
It seems like you are new to these boards but I would bet that 90% of users on here thought Ottawa would be far ahead of Detroit this year. But look how it is right now? You can say they have superior young Talent, but truthfully, do they?
At this current day . Yes

They can easily be ahead of us next season
in the standings and it woudnt come as a shock

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
On the draft broadcast, they heavily implied that Leonard was a target of Detroit and that they would've taken Leonard at 9 had he been available.
Danielson and Leonard are the same guy. And that guy is not Matvei Michkov.

To get really memerrific, Matvei Michkov? We have Matvei Michkov at home!

Home:
1708370681551.png

• Love
Reactions: Realgud and RRhoads

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
well yeah obviously

the point is there's no excuse for the Wings to have been picking 9th in a draft that strong

people here complain about not getting lottery luck all the time but that was the Wings opportunity to get some franchise talent without even needing any right there, screwing that up by deciding that that offseason of all offseasons was the offseason you just HAD to bring in like 10 free agents is just poor GMing

So you're proposing to demoralize a locker room and instill a locker room culture of tanking like buffalo. Look how that works out for those teams.

What will you say if Danielson turns into the next Bergeron and pellikka turns into the next Karlsson? Will you still try to out armchair gm Steve?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

there's a middle ground between "never improve ever" and "sign 10 free agents right before the strongest draft class in the past nearly a decade"
How do you know the beautiful house is going up next week?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How do you know the beautiful house is going up next week?

if Yzerman somehow didn't know that the 2023 draft was going to be a strong one or that Michkov was probably going to go later than he should then that's far far worse than anything i've been implying

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At this current day . Yes

They can easily be ahead of us next season
in the standings and it woudnt come as a shock

Oh man I can't wait to find out who Ottawa drafts in the top 5 this year. That player is going to be so cool and awesome. f***, why can't the Wings suck again this year. God dammit I want all my Pokemon cards to be exciting prospects worthless losers not worthless losers who help a team climb from bottom 5 to a playoff spot, have a positive goal differential, and are 6th in goals scored.

This is absolute bullshit and we have nothing to look forward to now. Unlike Ottawa who are building up the best possible Pokemon deck before they strike and push the Wings back to irrelevancy where they belong and can finally start drafting guys in the top 5 again so I never have to watch such a beautiful card like Michkov get selected before my team can draft. f***ing Yzerman didn't even trade up with a bunch of teams that didn't want to trade down.

God I wish he'd just make them like I made my friend Jimmy trade me his rare Pikachu when I threatened to destroy his LEGO Millennium Falcon by throwing my Quiznos at it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

And no half measures, Walter! - Breaking Bad

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
if Yzerman somehow didn't know that the 2023 draft was going to be a strong one or that Michkov was probably going to go later than he should then that's far far worse than anything i've been implying
You used an example of a house, which does not compare to a draft.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So you're proposing to demoralize a locker room and instill a locker room culture of tanking like buffalo. Look how that works out for those teams.

What will you say if Danielson turns into the next Bergeron and pellikka turns into the next Karlsson? Will you still try to out armchair gm Steve?

Yeah, we're not too bitter about getting screwed in the lottery because of how well Seider and Mo are doing. Hopefully Danielson and ASP continue that trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino