Prospect Info: 7th IceHogs, Fuel, NCAA/Jr./Int'l Prospects thread - Offseason in Rockford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
To be blunt: Until International hockey tournaments entail a real series to decide (at least a 2 out of 3 games series), I pay little attention to the outcome. Oh, I will watch the key games and enjoy them, but any team can win a single hockey game. To be eliminated from a tourney or losing a medal in that manner is laughable.... but that's the way it is, and it is unfortunate.

It would be nice to see a really long tournament. 10+ round robin games, with 3 game series to determine the ultimate winner. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see something like that though.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Admittedly...Schmaltz did improve a lot 9veralk the stink he showed in tge WJHC last year...He was in only a 2nd banana role as 2C this year so you cannot expect tge numbers the USA top line put up with Mathews and Tkachuk ...but Schmaltz did pay on the USA pp with them most minutes they got pp shifts...SO 2G 6a for the tournament is fine in that role....BUT STILL.... He played 2C in ES and played Left wing or Left point on the top PP as far as I could see....the USA PP was very good in the tournament...BUT remember this is on Big Ice and Schmaltz plays C at ND also on Big Ice...so the question is ...can he translate to a 1LW on the Hawks or is he still best as a playmaker C ...and will that translate to success as a 1C or 2C on another NHL team because he is not going to get that opprtunities to play big minutes as a 1C or 2C on the Hawks...nor will he get PP time on the Hawks either...He does not fit the model for a 3C or 4C role and so unless you think he is a better 1LW option and getting only 2nd pp unit 1LW time on pp's to boot ...the question is :should we trade him for a real LW for the top line who can 8n fluency that line's success in ES better than he could in that role ...OR is he the best 1LW option for such a role if his game even translates to the smaller ice?Would he be tge best LW fit for Toews or do we need a bigger stronger Saad the for the cycle game and power m9ve to the net game that probably fits Toews better? I for 9ne cannot see Schmaltz getting points with Toews on 2 on 1s (speed exertion seems not part of Toews game anymore so doubt that type of attack will "click" a lot for such a line with those 2 on it and the ever increasing slowdown of Hossa...and so maybe we ought to trade Schmaltz to a team needing a playmaker C,and get back a power LW who can score goals ?

Apart from the size /power issues which will be tougher again st NHL d-men and the smaller rinks...the question of Schmaltz being better at set-ups than goal-scoring is a huge concern...Only 2 goals in the tournament to his 6 assists ...again today he blew 3 Mano a Mano all in alone breaks against the Swedish goalie...so again ...he has trouble finishing though he generates score g chances galore.So I do not know if we should keep him...Trade him.for the LW immediate impact on theToews line. .that is what Stan has to do in my opinion.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Admittedly...Schmaltz did improve a lot 9veralk the stink he showed in tge WJHC last year...He was in only a 2nd banana role as 2C this year so you cannot expect tge numbers the USA top line put up with Mathews and Tkachuk ...but Schmaltz did pay on the USA pp with them most minutes they got pp shifts...SO 2G 6a for the tournament is fine in that role....BUT STILL.... He played 2C in ES and played Left wing or Left point on the top PP as far as I could see....the USA PP was very good in the tournament...BUT remember this is on Big Ice and Schmaltz plays C at ND also on Big Ice...so the question is ...can he translate to a 1LW on the Hawks or is he still best as a playmaker C ...and will that translate to success as a 1C or 2C on another NHL team because he is not going to get that opprtunities to play big minutes as a 1C or 2C on the Hawks...nor will he get PP time on the Hawks either...He does not fit the model for a 3C or 4C role and so unless you think he is a better 1LW option and getting only 2nd pp unit 1LW time on pp's to boot ...the question is :should we trade him for a real LW for the top line who can 8n fluency that line's success in ES better than he could in that role ...OR is he the best 1LW option for such a role if his game even translates to the smaller ice?Would he be tge best LW fit for Toews or do we need a bigger stronger Saad the for the cycle game and power m9ve to the net game that probably fits Toews better? I for 9ne cannot see Schmaltz getting points with Toews on 2 on 1s (speed exertion seems not part of Toews game anymore so doubt that type of attack will "click" a lot for such a line with those 2 on it and the ever increasing slowdown of Hossa...and so maybe we ought to trade Schmaltz to a team needing a playmaker C,and get back a power LW who can score goals ?

Apart from the size /power issues which will be tougher again st NHL d-men and the smaller rinks...the question of Schmaltz being better at set-ups than goal-scoring is a huge concern...Only 2 goals in the tournament to his 6 assists ...again today he blew 3 Mano a Mano all in alone breaks against the Swedish goalie...so again ...he has trouble finishing though he generates score g chances galore.So I do not know if we should keep him...Trade him.for the LW immediate impact on theToews line. .that is what Stan has to do in my opinion.

I'm sure there are some good thoughts in there...but not even going to try.

Schmaltz will be here soon (2017-18). Third line center, with Hossa and ? (Hartman). I agree with your trade him (obviously, plus) for a 1LW sentiment, if and only if, it's not for a rental. How we're gonna fit that guy in, I have no idea.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
This WJC game is awesome. I wonder if Teravainen, Anisimov and Panarin are watching the game and giving each other ****. :laugh:

TT and Panarin do have WJ gold medals too.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Kapanen wins it for Finland. Teräväinen has got to be thrilled.

Congrats to Hawks prospect Tuulola!

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well, if a team outside of Canada is going to win, Finland should be that team.

At least Canada lost to the Gold medal winners. Can't say the same about the US. :)

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
This WJC game is awesome. I wonder if Teravainen, Anisimov and Panarin are watching the game and giving each other ****. :laugh:

TT and Panarin do have WJ gold medals too.

Teuvo did mention there had been some "talks" in the locker room after the Canada and Sweden wins :laugh: So I guess a friendly ribbing is to be expected (they interviewed him online pre-game for his advice - basically it was to forget about fretting over it and just have fun out there)

I thought Tuulola played solid for us for the last few games. I doubt he'll ever be an NHL'er, but at least he raised his effort and performance when it mattered the most.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Back to NCAA hockey...2 goals for John Hayden in Yale's win 3-2 over UMASS tonight ...his 2nd goal was the OT winner..

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Does anyone know what the hell is going on with Kyle Baun??

0pt in 12gp for the Hogs. Looks like he's pulling a Drew Leblanc.....

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Strange indeed but I'm more concerned over Dano.

2 goals in 18 games? He's supposed to be a scorer?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

He's not a very good player?

Honestly he's alright. He's got size and he goes to the net. But he's a grinder and mucker; he's not been a very prolific scorer at any level. He's at best a third liner in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad