Prospect Info: 7th IceHogs, Fuel, NCAA/Jr./Int'l Prospects thread - Offseason in Rockford

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
SCMALTZ invisible most of this game USA lost to Russia...but Mathews also not that great today..Furious USA attack in the late third and with the extra attacker at the end but not enough...could not get the equalizer ...so lose 2-1...that is 3 straight medal round defeats put on them by Russia and now 7-0 for Russia over USA since they went to the medal round concept...

Told you before I was impressed by the undrafted Yegor Korshkov and he shined again with a goal and assist for Russia. ..Big power forward ...took it to the net after sweeping past Werenski ....

As to the Sweden loss to Finland..I thought Forsling played very very well..he will be part of our d-corps eventually...today it showed that this is a 19 year old 's tournament after all as the 17/18 year olds who starred for Finland and Mathews who stars for USA did not shine today but the 19 year old guys for Finland and for Russia came through to shine for their teams..so a bit more maturity comes through when the going g gets tougher and checking and shot blocking makes it harder to score.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Most of the US roster with the exception of a couple of players were pretty invisible today. Not their best showing. Also credit Russia, they were much better after the first period and Samsanov was strong.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I always want Canada and Russia to lose, although the WJC are a lot less important to me compared to Olympic hockey.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't care about the WJC besides getting to see younger players play, which is fun. I mean I do want the US to do well, but nothing even close to the Olympics type of rooting. The only reason I've found it fun when Canada loses is fan reactions.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I always want Canada and Russia to lose, although the WJC are a lot less important to me compared to Olympic hockey.

I am of this camp. When these two lose it is a nice consolation prize. How Canadians act after a loss is pure gold.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Quick little scouting report on Schmaltz from the games I watched:

Schmaltz is very shifty. An above-average skater with silky smooth, fast hands. Numerous times throughout the tournament was able to create space for himself or made plays in tight, under pressure because of his quick hands and shiftiness. Was quite deft on the forecheck and back check, mirroring opponents well and guiding them into areas of the ice where he could stick check and strip them of the puck. Displayed high-end playmaking - not merely in the offensive zone, but in all areas of the ice. Recognizes teammates getting into, or in scoring positions and is able to find or create passing lanes to get them the puck.

Really liked what I saw out of him in this tournament. I wasn't as impressed last year, but his consistency shift-to-shift has improved by leaps and bounds. Obviously not a perfect player, but very promising given the improvement over last year.

When he was drafted, I thought he'd spend 2 years at ND and then a year in Rockford. Still stand by that, but it won't be long before we see Schmaltz in a Hawks uniform.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I have no ill will toward Canada itself, tremendous country full of tremendous people.

Until it comes to hockey. There's a vocal minority of the national fanbase that makes me root against them. That's all I meant.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
To be blunt: Until International hockey tournaments entail a real series to decide (at least a 2 out of 3 games series), I pay little attention to the outcome. Oh, I will watch the key games and enjoy them, but any team can win a single hockey game. To be eliminated from a tourney or losing a medal in that manner is laughable.... but that's the way it is, and it is unfortunate.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Glad that we got a medal, though I'd be lying if I said I had a deep interest in the tournament beyond knowing how our prospects did or the disappointment that we didn't get picked to host the next one in the United States.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Schmaltz with 2+6 in 7 games. An alright tournament. Didn't see much of the US games.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have no ill will toward Canada itself, tremendous country full of tremendous people.

Until it comes to hockey. There's a vocal minority of the national fanbase that makes me root against them. That's all I meant.

And I was just poking some fun into it. I honestly don't even really care that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad