Prospect Info: 7th IceHogs, Fuel, NCAA/Jr./Int'l Prospects thread - Offseason in Rockford

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just curious, what's Schmaltz's reason?

He will most likely be able step into the Hawks lineup right away. Also I think he will grow more at the pro level at this point (UND is a great place to grow as a player). He is better off at this point starting to burning ELC years now with team that will be able to ease him in.

Similar player and progression would be TT.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
TBH, I think Schmaltz is probably best suited to be a RWer in the NHL.

Schmaltz isn't the best faceoff guy, plus is a bit smaller. Sometimes Cagguila and Boeser had to take faceoffs for him. The way he plays too makes me think his game is better suited on the wing instead of center. Schmaltz is insanely good at forechecking and puck retrieval. To me that makes him more dangerous as a winger on the fore check because centers tend to hang back more and control the center ice.

Also, if he were to play the wing it would move him away from his weakness which is his size. Defensively, he can get pushed around. If you put him on the wing this eliminates him from having to battle hard in the corner defensively. It also allows him to work to his strengths which is his speed. Once he gets the puck on the wing I feel he can transition the puck up the ice much better, due to his great speed and vision/passing.

But that's just my take.

Since where is it written that wingers do not have to battle Hardin the corners defensively? Oh yes..pnly in tge Q system where such lazy plays from the wingers in the d-zone are tolerated.so I guess on that basis Schmaltz will thrive as a Hawks winger ..right? BUT this reverses the logic on TT...smallish and cannot battle on the boards and corners...gets pushed around so best to play him in the middle where he is "free" to slate...is that not the argument ...right? WELL make up your mind. .cannot argue this opposite ly because we are talking the same problem for both ...True ..neither is good at faceoffs and neither takes lots of shots and hence neither scores that many goals.

AS to staying for his Jr. Year or leaving for the pros with us Now,put me in the camp hoping he stays..I still think he needs improvement..IF he can improve on faceoffs..if he can get stronger ..and IF he can shoot more and score more goals. ..then he will be a better prospect for immediate insertion as a C in our lineup which we may require IF TT fails to develop as a C by next season..Next season is important for TT with us...he needs to still get stronger..also improve on faceoffs and has to score more goals and generate more offense ...if he plateaus at current level or regressed the the Schmaltz as C alternative looms the season after next and they probably trade TT...2016/17 is very imprtant fir TT to be ready to "explode" to the talent level we "think" he has/to bloom.into another "star"...cause if it transpires he is just Mr. average 3C then there may be nothing special enough about him to want go keep him unless he plays dirt cheap..Of course if TT explodes into a star next season then we shall have the cap problem to deal with and maybe have to trade him for that reason (but at least then Stan coukd get prime first rounder back for putting on a show at the 2017 entry draft..right?).

Anyway where Schmaltz ends up with us at C or at W depends on what TT does or does not do ..and this I feel it best Schmaltz stays in school 1 more season and develops more by fixing his weakest areas...this also delays us starting the 7 year clock of holding his pro rights and better helps us manage our linger term cap with the "staggering" of raises on too many ELC'S and or other contracts ending in the same year or within a year of each other.We need to keep the staggering strategy on raises in mind.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Rumour that entire Connor Compher Motte line will re-unite at tge World Championships for team USA.

Connor and Motte have signed ELC'S starting next season..Compher has yet to turn pro but probably does sign with Colorado which has his rights ..but even if he does not they still can use amateurs I believe. .Now the only impediment to this is that Motte may still be in AHL playoffs if Rockford advances past first round..But maybe Blackhawks grant permission to let him join team USA even if Rockford advances? THE IIHF World Championships begin May 6th..The AHL regular season ends April 17th so playoffs will begin a few nights later..so first series will be over well before World's starts..but if Rockford advances there will be an issue...if Motte looks integral to Rockford playoff success maybe Hawks will need to refuse...except Motte on ATO so maybe he can leave of his own volition anyway? OR does his ATO status prevent him from playing in the AHL playoffs? Can anyone clear up these questions?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
If schamlatz signs this year (2/23) he turned 20 he would be on a 3 year deal, next year he would also be on the last year of being able to do a 3 year deal and would probably want us to burn a year or he would goto his SR year where he would also burn a year on a 2 year deal. Either way I look at it he would be out of his ELC in 3 years so signing him this year or next might not have any effect on on When he gets his 1st RFA contract. So the question is where will he improve more AHL or NCAA?

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
He will most likely be able step into the Hawks lineup right away.
Im not seeing it. Im looking at something more like McNeill but with more offensive skills obviously. More invisible than not and yet to assert himself.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 18m18 minutes ago
Sounds like front runners for Frozen Four MOP Drake Caggiula are (in no order): CHI, EDM, PHI, VAN and OTT. I think BUF is in the mix, too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Rumour that entire Connor Compher Motte line will re-unite at tge World Championships for team USA.

Connor and Motte have signed ELC'S starting next season..Compher has yet to turn pro but probably does sign with Colorado which has his rights ..but even if he does not they still can use amateurs I believe. .Now the only impediment to this is that Motte may still be in AHL playoffs if Rockford advances past first round..But maybe Blackhawks grant permission to let him join team USA even if Rockford advances? THE IIHF World Championships begin May 6th..The AHL regular season ends April 17th so playoffs will begin a few nights later..so first series will be over well before World's starts..but if Rockford advances there will be an issue...if Motte looks integral to Rockford playoff success maybe Hawks will need to refuse...except Motte on ATO so maybe he can leave of his own volition anyway? OR does his ATO status prevent him from playing in the AHL playoffs? Can anyone clear up these questions?

Compher and Connor have been confirmed to play for team USA.

I am hearing Motte is going now as well, which as you state is beyond shocking to me because Rockford is in the playoffs, and if they move on why would Bowman let him go? I know he is an advisor to team USA, but that seems nuts to do this especially when you want him to build chemistry and learn the pro style playoffs like the AHL can help Motte.

If Rockford wasn't in the playoffs I am 100% pumped for Motte to go represent his country so maybe a deal was made that the whole CCM line would go and that Motte will play until the tourney starts.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Sign Caggiula, Schmaltz, Motte and Vesey. This team could use a youth injection starting next year. Caggs, Motte and Vesey address dire need to replace lost wingers in system. Then get Pokka/Forsling up and team could look really good by 2018.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Compher and Connor have been confirmed to play for team USA.

I am hearing Motte is going now as well, which as you state is beyond shocking to me because Rockford is in the playoffs, and if they move on why would Bowman let him go? I know he is an advisor to team USA, but that seems nuts to do this especially when you want him to build chemistry and learn the pro style playoffs like the AHL can help Motte.

If Rockford wasn't in the playoffs I am 100% pumped for Motte to go represent his country so maybe a deal was made that the whole CCM line would go and that Motte will play until the tourney starts.

Better competition?

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 18m18 minutes ago
Sounds like front runners for Frozen Four MOP Drake Caggiula are (in no order): CHI, EDM, PHI, VAN and OTT. I think BUF is in the mix, too.

Caggiula would be a great catch. Not sure how reliable Seravalli is though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Better competition?

not many (GM's) agree with that...more times than not, a top rookie heads to play in the AHL playoffs over playing in the World Championships.

Frankie Vatrano would be a lock for team USA, but as of this his team is in the AHL playoffs and not being released.

just seems odd as I would rather have Motte battle with future teammates in a pro playoffs then go to this tournament and play against some pro players. I love the tournament and am happy he seems to be suiting up for Old Glory, but as I said, a bit weird.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
not many (GM's) agree with that...more times than not, a top rookie heads to play in the AHL playoffs over playing in the World Championships.

Frankie Vatrano would be a lock for team USA, but as of this his team is in the AHL playoffs and not being released.

just seems odd as I would rather have Motte battle with future teammates in a pro playoffs then go to this tournament and play against some pro players. I love the tournament and am happy he seems to be suiting up for Old Glory, but as I said, a bit weird.

I see. I thought last year there was some talent like Hall, Eberle, Panarin, etc playing in the WC. Am I thinking of a different event? Thought most NHL players were in it when their team was eliminated from the playoffs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I see. I thought last year there was some talent like Hall, Eberle, Panarin, etc playing in the WC. Am I thinking of a different event? Thought most NHL players were in it when their team was eliminated from the playoffs.

this tournament has that talent, not every team has star players, but yes it certainly has some.

put it this way, if your NHL team is not in the playoffs, or gets eliminated round 1, those are the players that can be chosen to play for their countries. Rosters have to e set so round 1 is all you get.

many US/Canada top players decline, so they do go with younger up and coming star players, or lesser known vets.

European players go ape **** for this, and if you aren't crippled, most of them accept as this tournament is big in Europe.

it still has a lot of mediocre teams, but overall is a fun tournament. it isn't best on best, but for an every year tournament it gets some top names to play.

maybe Motte will gain more experience playing for the US in this tournament than the AHL playoffs if they advance..I dunno, just most gm's really don't seem to feel that way.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Nucks sign Stecher. Darn, was hoping we'd be in on him. Hopefully that doesn't sway Caggulia.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Blues fan coming in peace

Should be fun to see Fabbri (and against, hopefully, his brother to) and Schmaltz battle each other in the coming years. If I remember correctly, the Blues wanted him pretty bad. Obviously we're pretty happy Fabbs fell to us, but I feel that, assuming everything else played out like it did, we would've been happy either way.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Blues fan coming in peace

Should be fun to see Fabbri (and against, hopefully, his brother to) and Schmaltz battle each other in the coming years. If I remember correctly, the Blues wanted him pretty bad. Obviously we're pretty happy Fabbs fell to us, but I feel that, assuming everything else played out like it did, we would've been happy either way.

Yeah, it will certainly be in the minds of both fanbases. Fabbri looks like a STUD. Hawks jumped Blues to get Schmaltz (who apparently STL wanted), and STL may end up with the better player anyway. One is a potent player in the NHLalready, other is still playing college hockey. So that's where that stands for now, imo.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Yeah, it will certainly be in the minds of both fanbases. Fabbri looks like a STUD. Hawks jumped Blues to get Schmaltz (who apparently STL wanted), and STL may end up with the better player anyway. One is a potent player in the NHLalready, other is still playing college hockey. So that's where that stands for now, imo.
I know a lot of Blues fans wanted Schmaltz mainly because they assumed Fabbri would be gone already, and were pissed the Hawks jumped in front of us. But yeah, it's obviously it worked out for us, and it sounds like Schmaltz' development is coming along very nicely. If all goes accordingly, both teams will be happy with who they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad