Post-Game Talk: #7 | Predators at FLYERS | Thu. Oct. 19, 7:00 pm ET

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This is what really bugged me. Provy should not listen to AMac ever.

Flip gave up on the play too. He did not take a stride once he hit our blue line.

That's why he's with MacDonald though. Experience to learn from. Intensely worrying.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wake up to someone saying Weise had a strong game ,,,,, crazy that is allowed, he was as bad as he has ever been, worst fwd, even worse than Jori.

Oilers got a win finally and Draisaitl may return, they better be ready for Saturday.

Look who that someone was....

MacDonald overall was fine, a top 4 D-man performance....goal all on Simmonds.
Weise had a good game, some really nice passes, some scoring attempts, good job screening the goalie...he's a solid depth player

Should bench Voracek
Ghost was meh, too many mistakes
Konency has great speed but like Laughton, he really doesn't have great ice vision

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I liked how in Hak's interview he said Lehtera went in instead of Read because Lehtera "has done the work." That and his chemistry with Filppula.
:huh:
... as if Read has had it easier? Read actually went down to the AHL, put in the work there, slaved away in those games, and never complained once.

If one of the two are more deserving, based on "putting in the work", I think I gotta give that to Mr Read.

Especially when you consider he can actually play hockey and skate as if he's on ice instead of wet concrete.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
:huh:
... as if Read has had it easier? Read actually went down to the AHL, put in the work there, slaved away in those games, and never complained once.

If one of the two are more deserving, based on "putting in the work", I think I gotta give that to Mr Read.

Especially when you consider he can actually play hockey and skate as if he's on ice instead of wet concrete.
I'm trying to take the long view. Lehtera and/or Read are the bottom of the lineup and won't play much unless there are injuries and generally won't contribute materially to a win or loss. The second and third lines are not really working the way we would hope but i think that can be tweaked and improved over the next 10 games or so. I think the team is playing well so far but we missed Weal, he reminds me in his playing style of Parise (obviously not as well) a tenacious little guy who can never stay healthy. I'm happy Sanheim played well, he is going to be a big part of our future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Our LW depth in this game was G, Lehtera, Weise and Leier. Even if they refuse to play Lindblom or Read, why not try Vecchione or Martel instead?
Vandevelde, Weise, Gordon cranking up the leadership quota while Weal was wasting away in Ahl. Different names same logic, Hakslogic. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

1) If they were ready, they'd be starting in Philly
2) They haven't practiced with the main team for a month
3) Weal was in the AHL because he had his shot and was a complete fail, didn't show enough in TC to reverse that failure and had to prove himself in the AHL
4) Lehtera may be "washed up," but he's a washed up NHL veteran who isn't hurt by sitting for a month - those are the players you keep at the end of the bench to fill in for a game or two
5) Leier is one of those guys you want to bring up, except he's proven himself in his "second chance."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We had more scoring chances than the Predators.
I think people have problem accepting we lost to a very good team with a hot goaltender.

The goal was all on Simmons, that's indisputable, MacDonald was doing what he was supposed to do, D-men are encouraged to join (but not lead) the rush, Simmonds had cycled back with Provorov, which he was supposed to do, problem was Simmonds tried to poke check the puck and keep it in the D-zone instead of retreating, he got beat which lead to the 2 on 1, and couldn't get back. MacDonald was down near the net and nearly got back in time to disrupt the play, I didn't think he could skate that fast. Only reason people blame MacDonald on that play is their agenda - had it been say Ghost or Sanheim, the excuses would be flying!

My only agenda is the Flyers' winning, I thought Sanheim played his best game of the season, very much in control, even threw his body around a bit, and was still aggressive on offense. This is the kind of game a young defenseman can build on. He just has to play like this consistently and he'll never be out of the lineup.

It was not a great game for Ghost, it was a better game for Hagg, who made a cool professional play in the first five minutes when Ghost got pushed off the puck (size matters) leading to a 2 on 1 that Hagg broke up. Hagg is a big boy, and plays big, he looks like the perfect CYA partner for Ghost.

MacDonald overall has been a solid player this year, which is good, because it improves the odds that Hextall can move him with retained salary and maybe even pick up a draft pick or two.

I really don't understand the criticism of Weise, he's really the 11th/12th forward on this team (since the 4th line could be considered the 2nd line), he's similar to what just about every NHL rolls out on their 3rd/4th line, he passes well, he screens the net (which a lot of forwards lack the size/cojones to do), he's a decent skater. He's an upgrade over the dreck we've been rolling out at the bottom of the roster for five years. He's not a great player, and he's not paid like one, and he's probably going to be replaced next year.

Voracek is playing the best he has for 3-4 years, using his body more, getting rid of the puck faster instead of just skating around, but geez, his shot is broken. It's pitiful. Too bad he's not a natural center, because that is where you'd want to use his size, speed and playmaking ability with a couple snipers on the wing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Reality: MacDonald mishandled the pass. Filppula gave up back-checking when he would have been able to make a play on the shot attempt had he not. All 3 players share the blame.

Deadheads Fantasy: The goal is ALL on Simmonds.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov mishandled a half dozen passes, that's pretty normal, especially this time of year when for some reason the home ice looks really choppy. In traffic near the net, that's even more common.

The primary mistake was Simmonds, if he plays it right there's no breakaway. It was a bad mistake in judgement, compounded by his worst mistake, taking a really stupid penalty, negating a power play with 5 minutes left when we were down 1-0.

So should we bench Simmonds next game? I mean if one of your whipping boys made two egregious errors like those there would be 10 pages about how Hakstol was an idiot for playing them over some AHL scrub or unproven rookie. Crap happens, I'm sure we won't see a game like that from Simmonds for a long while.

There is no "better" lineup right now, eventually the kids in the AHL will be ready and push for jobs. And the kids in juniors and college will be in the AHL next year and hopefully pushing for jobs by next spring, and so on. But it's not going to happen overnight. Hextall is a patient, conservative man who's trying to build a great team and won't be rushed.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don't really think it came down to Rinne. He didn't have to make many great saves. The only one I can think of was the one on Coots. Flyers didn't generate much last night. Oh well, Nashville is a good team

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don't really think it came down to Rinne. He didn't have to make many great saves. The only one I can think of was the one on Coots. Flyers didn't generate much last night. Oh well, Nashville is a good team

Couts' shot and the wrap around for Giroux he had to be sharp on. Not too much else. Honestly, neither team had the greatest chances in the world, it's just one shitty back check by AMac that led to the only goal.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We had more scoring chances than the Predators.
I think people have problem accepting we lost to a very good team with a hot goaltender.

The goal was all on Simmons, that's indisputable, MacDonald was doing what he was supposed to do, D-men are encouraged to join (but not lead) the rush, Simmonds had cycled back with Provorov, which he was supposed to do, problem was Simmonds tried to poke check the puck and keep it in the D-zone instead of retreating, he got beat which lead to the 2 on 1, and couldn't get back. MacDonald was down near the net and nearly got back in time to disrupt the play, I didn't think he could skate that fast. Only reason people blame MacDonald on that play is their agenda - had it been say Ghost or Sanheim, the excuses would be flying!

My only agenda is the Flyers' winning, I thought Sanheim played his best game of the season, very much in control, even threw his body around a bit, and was still aggressive on offense. This is the kind of game a young defenseman can build on. He just has to play like this consistently and he'll never be out of the lineup.

It was not a great game for Ghost, it was a better game for Hagg, who made a cool professional play in the first five minutes when Ghost got pushed off the puck (size matters) leading to a 2 on 1 that Hagg broke up. Hagg is a big boy, and plays big, he looks like the perfect CYA partner for Ghost.

MacDonald overall has been a solid player this year, which is good, because it improves the odds that Hextall can move him with retained salary and maybe even pick up a draft pick or two.

I really don't understand the criticism of Weise, he's really the 11th/12th forward on this team (since the 4th line could be considered the 2nd line), he's similar to what just about every NHL rolls out on their 3rd/4th line, he passes well, he screens the net (which a lot of forwards lack the size/cojones to do), he's a decent skater. He's an upgrade over the dreck we've been rolling out at the bottom of the roster for five years. He's not a great player, and he's not paid like one, and he's probably going to be replaced next year.

Voracek is playing the best he has for 3-4 years, using his body more, getting rid of the puck faster instead of just skating around, but geez, his shot is broken. It's pitiful. Too bad he's not a natural center, because that is where you'd want to use his size, speed and playmaking ability with a couple snipers on the wing.

So ignore a bad pinch, then on the backcheck he told Provy to go to the guy with the puck, he would have the other guy...then didn't.

Yet last week when Hakstol helped give away the game to Nashville, you said these points don't matter.

And yet earlier in the thread you said to bench Jake.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It's rare that I would want AMAC between the circles, but Simmonds who should be covering back because AMAC is up. Instead, he comes into the play with a failed poke check, and Filp quits skating on the 2on1. A lot of blame to go around.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am not even mad about this loss....it was to a good team and we played them about even. We are at least not awful to watch like in past years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's rare that I would want AMAC between the circles, but Simmonds who should be covering back because AMAC is up. Instead, he comes into the play with a failed poke check, and Filp quits skating on the 2on1. A lot of blame to go around.

exactly. There is no one that should take full blame. It was a collection of errors that led to the goal.

AMac mishandling the puck
Simmonds with a bad pinch
AMac telling Provy to cover puck carrier
Provy for listening
Flip for not skating back hard
AMac/Flip for not getting the guy he told Provy they would take

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So should we bench Simmonds next game? I mean if one of your whipping boys made two egregious errors like those there would be 10 pages about how Hakstol was an idiot for playing them over some AHL scrub or unproven rookie. Crap happens, I'm sure we won't see a game like that from Simmonds for a long while.
So you can't see any difference in calling for the benching of someone who only hurts the team versus someone who is a huge asset 99% of the time but had a bad game?

I have no idea why you try to argue so dishonestly. You know there's a huge difference but you still pretend it's some kind of hypocrisy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Filppula started behind Sissons and tried to get ahead of him before the red line, but got bumped sideways and then couldn't catch up. MacDonald started even farther behind and was never going to catch up.

The smart play might have been for Filppula to haul down Sissons and concede a penalty.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad