Post-Game Talk: #7 | Predators at FLYERS | Thu. Oct. 19, 7:00 pm ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That’s on Hextall too. He’ll happily have a trash can on his roster so long as they have leadership qualities.
It is on Hextall, but primarily on Hakstol. Hakstol played guys like VDV over guys like TK. He also scratched guys like MDZ and then had him top pair leading ice time the
next game. He coached a good team in college that only won the championship the year after he left. That's a huge red flag to me. I just can't see him lasting here for too long. Even the players are talking about coach K's system when shouting out to the coaches.

Hak is here to build a culture. He must of thought they were talking about yogurt.

Reactions: Tripod

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
so was tonight a case where the Flyers were just passing it too much looking for that perfect shot? That stuff drives me nuts. put the puck on net when you get the opportunity. good things sometimes happen.

They never really had any great chances. Their D is a lot better with Josi. They didn't have a chance to get it close to the net. This team needs better shooters. They were peripheral and getting blocked or going wide a lot. G had a great chance in the last minute but got slashed. Without the slash I'm sure he would scored. Only exciting play of the game.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I liked how in Hak's interview he said Lehtera went in instead of Read because Lehtera "has done the work." That and his chemistry with Filppula.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It is on Hextall, but primarily on Hakstol. Hakstol played guys like VDV over guys like TK. He also scratched guys like MDZ and then had him top pair leading ice time the
next game. He coached a good team in college that only won the championship the year after he left. That's a huge red flag to me. I just can't see him lasting here for too long. Even the players are talking about coach K's system when shouting out to the coaches.

Hak is here to build a culture. He must of thought they were talking about yogurt.

I think Hakstol is a complete dope but Hextall’s hands aren’t clean on that front either is all I’m saying.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
My bad I missed that. Long ass day. Damn near died in a head on collision after picking up a tuxedo and that was BEFORE work.

I'm glad you're OK, and if you got an ID on the character, just let me know - I've got enough just ... turgid rage inside of me at the moment to swim all the way there and beat his ass.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I liked how in Hak's interview he said Lehtera went in instead of Read because Lehtera "has done the work." That and his chemistry with Filppula.

They don't have chemistry, they are both Finnish, that is it, no more. Sure they have played on the National team together, but one is a NHL player and the other isn't.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Reading some of these posts, a lot of you know nothing about hockey.

Blaming the goal on MacDonald means you haven't watched this team at all, he was doing what he is supposed to do, attacking as a D-man (and he did a good job all game), Simmonds cycled back, then gambled on a stick check instead of retreating and preventing a 2 on 1, MacDonald showed good speed even getting back on that play, but it was all Simmonds fault. MacDonald overall was fine, a top 4 D-man performance.

Simmonds also took an incredibly stupid penalty, when all he had to do is skate through that stick, if the Predator player keeps it out there and he trips, well . . . instead he knocks the stick out of the hands (yes it was bogus but it was still stupid for a veteran to do that).

Flyers played a very good game, great goaltending and some bad shooting - Voracek should be benched and forced to shoot 1,000 wrist shots a day for a week, he's really bad. Otherwise there were just some great saves.

Sanheim played very well, a couple questionable moves, like the clear lob that didn't clear the D-zone, but overall he was sound, responsible and still made some great offensive moves. He's a really good fit with Gudas - if he keeps this up, Manning is going to pick up a lot of splinters.

Hagg also had a top flight game, breaking up an early 2 on 1, hitting people, etc. He's going to start in the NHL for a decade, may never make an Allstar team, but he's a NHL player.

Ghost was meh, too many mistakes. Provorov looked shaky early on trying to handle the puck, then settled down.

Konency has great speed but like Laughton, he really doesn't have great ice vision, forces some plays by not knowing how to change speeds and control the tempo. But he's 20 so there's lots of time to learn that sometimes less is more.

Weise had a good game, some really nice passes, some scoring attempts, good job screening the goalie. Don't ask him to be LeClair or even Hartnell, he's a solid depth player and paid like one.

“You guys know nothing about hockey”

“Our top scorer should be benched”

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Macdonald may as well not of backchecked given that he, for whatever reason, decided not to take any of the Preds guys.

Flipper got outmuscled like he weighs 100 pounds. But I’d love to know what Macdonald was thinking.

For ****s sake he pointed to Provorov to take the one guy and he didn’t bother to take the other.

Like most plays, MacDonald ended up on the ice when the puck hit the net. It cannot be a coincidence how often that ends up happening.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
MacDonald pinching down by the goal area & fumbling a pass is peak MacDonald. Still Simmonds had the point covered & just F’d up which sent Nashville the other way.

It probably wouldn’t have made a difference anyway but that lazy back check by Filppula was hilarious. If that was a young player they’d be in the pressbox next game.

Reactions: sa cyred

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
There really needs to be a dedicated thread where we keep track of how often he uses the same ****ing horrible cliches over and over.

The worst part about "putting in the work" is it means nothing. Has Lehtera put in more work than anyone else? Is it simply that if a player tries hard in practice they must be rewarded for it regardless of whether they help the team or not? Did Matt Read not put in the work in LV?

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
No Manning = No victory

He needs to be back in on Saturday for AMac. Case closed. On a serious note, I was very impressed with Sanheim's play tonight. He does struggle with the physical battles, but that will come with time and more strength on his frame. His skill set is top notch.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
“You guys know nothing about hockey”

“Our top scorer should be benched”

Eh. It’s the typical “what is everyone else doing and I’ll post the exact opposite” schnick that he enjoys doing. Just need to skim and see if he makes a good comment somewhere. Like for instance Hagg has been really consistently solid.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
They never really had any great chances. Their D is a lot better with Josi. They didn't have a chance to get it close to the net. This team needs better shooters. They were peripheral and getting blocked or going wide a lot. G had a great chance in the last minute but got slashed. Without the slash I'm sure he would scored. Only exciting play of the game.
Perimeter team when the opponent plays a defensive game. Flyers can't just skate and pass for a perfect goal they gotta crash and. Bang . Nashville made them go threw 4 players back and forced them to the walls and we can't really win board battles with this small club especially for 82 games. We'll be worn out. On to the next one as we can't win em all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Macdonald may as well not of backchecked given that he, for whatever reason, decided not to take any of the Preds guys.

Flipper got outmuscled like he weighs 100 pounds. But I’d love to know what Macdonald was thinking.

For ****s sake he pointed to Provorov to take the one guy and he didn’t bother to take the other.

This is what really bugged me. Provy should not listen to AMac ever.

Flip gave up on the play too. He did not take a stride once he hit our blue line.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangecrush8

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
I really like Ekholm a lot. Any chance Hagg has that upside? They have a similar build.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Wake up to someone saying Weise had a strong game ,,,,, crazy that is allowed, he was as bad as he has ever been, worst fwd, even worse than Jori.

Oilers got a win finally and Draisaitl may return, they better be ready for Saturday.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
simmer made a bad pinch but he never has to pinch there if amac was a competent hockey player that could receive a pass on his tape without fumbling it. I guess that is asking too much. solid top 4 performance though... lol

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Perimeter team when the opponent plays a defensive game. Flyers can't just skate and pass for a perfect goal they gotta crash and. Bang . Nashville made them go threw 4 players back and forced them to the walls and we can't really win board battles with this small club especially for 82 games. We'll be worn out. On to the next one as we can't win em all.

Big players are good to get to the net if they have skills to get there. Ekholm wasn't letting anyone get free in front. Couts tried. You don't need size you want it. You need drive no matter what. That's why we missed weal last night. Guys like him drive hard all the time. I always like that play because it works more often than you would think and if not it draws penalties. Like the deep ball in football. It has more purpose than the actual catch and gains.

I think Hakstol is a complete dope but Hextall’s hands aren’t clean on that front either is all I’m saying.

Agreed. There were several players that should have made the team in the first place. In the end I think they make the playoffs this year and are a threat to win a round next year so if that happens they are on track and I'm happy. It's just not maxing on returns and that is frustrating and wasteful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad