Post-Game Talk: #7 | Predators at FLYERS | Thu. Oct. 19, 7:00 pm ET

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I got the authentic fan experience in my first trifecta of games.

Two blowouts....and a shutout. On to the next I guess. Felt like those OG games a few years ago when Nashville had nobody offensively.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Not being contrarian, just wanted to watch it again.

(NHL's verified account)

The play happens at 1:25.

Filp engages the play near the "W" in Wells Fargo and gets shouldered @ the red line. He only takes 1 or 2 weak strides about 4-6 feet from the blue line and then controller disconnects the rest of the play.

Hauling him down would have been better, I agree. The bigger crime is that he gets outworked (AMAC is HUSSLING back)and then trusts AMAC's desperate stick dive play on the puck. Maybe Filp was gassed. I slowed it down a bit and he looks a bit labored between the red and blue line (Flyers side of the neutral zone).

Mandog me into the boards if wrong.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And look as AMac is reChing the blue line, he points to the guy with the puck wanting Provy to take....hence he/Flip will take the other guy. Neither did.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So it's MacDonald's fault he's not as fast as Bobby Orr? He came a long way to get back into that play.

MacDonald got there in time to limit the shooter's path and keep him on Neuvirth's left side and take away any deke move, Neuvirth had a shot at stopping that shot, that's why it's nice to have a top goalie instead of merely a good one.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Not being contrarian, just wanted to watch it again.

(NHL's verified account)

The play happens at 1:25.

Filp engages the play near the "W" in Wells Fargo and gets shouldered @ the red line. He only takes 1 or 2 weak strides about 4-6 feet from the blue line and then controller disconnects the rest of the play.

Hauling him down would have been better, I agree. The bigger crime is that he gets outworked (AMAC is HUSSLING back)and then trusts AMAC's desperate stick dive play on the puck. Maybe Filp was gassed. I slowed it down a bit and he looks a bit labored between the red and blue line (Flyers side of the neutral zone).

Mandog me into the boards if wrong.

Thanks for posting this. I stopped the video at 1:32; the Flyers look to be in fine shape, with Provorov in place, and Filppula and MacDonald in stride with the Predator players. Filppula letting his man go is the main culprit.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Filppula started behind Sissons and tried to get ahead of him before the red line, but got bumped sideways and then couldn't catch up. MacDonald started even farther behind and was never going to catch up.

The smart play might have been for Filppula to haul down Sissons and concede a penalty.

Flip still stopped skating at the blue line though. He goes into coast mode.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So it's MacDonald's fault he's not as fast as Bobby Orr? He came a long way to get back into that play.

No, but it is his fault that he coughed the puck up in the slot in the first place. Simmonds made a bad decision to fly in and wave his stick at Fiala after that, but the initial gaffe wasn't his.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Someone gif that Couturier pass for a certain someone to pleasure himself to.

Do you think I take any pleasure in the flyers losing? Do you think I take any pleasure in coots not succeeding? We lost that game way before that final pp. A goal there would have masked a poor game but we did not lose because of one play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How many pucks are coughed up in the slot each game, a dozen? More?
That's pretty typical in tight traffic, it's why the forward cycles back in the first place, so if the puck is turned over, there's a backstop.
That's the way the cycle is supposed to work, to allow one D-man to jump into the play without worrying about a turnover or block shot leading to a breakaway in the other direction.
It's also why the D-men have to have ice awareness, you don't take chances that can result in a turnover if there's no one behind you.

The system worked, Simmonds screwed up.

Ghost had a much bigger screw up when he got stripped of the puck at the blue line early in the game with no one behind him, leading to a 2 on 1. Fortunately it was well played by Hagg and broken up.
Sanheim was careful with the puck and didn't have any of those kinds of plays, which is probably what they're trying to teach him, if you're being pressured and there's no help, don't try to play "hero ball", dump it down low and let the forwards go chase. If you try and deke and get stripped, it's an instant breakaway.

I have no problem with MacDonald going in deep on that play with help behind him, that's exactly what he's supposed to do.
He buried a goal this season doing that, and the other mobile defenseman have done that as well.
Sanheim did it a few times, but what I liked was once the play was thwarted, he made sure to get back to the blue line instead of trying to forecheck and getting caught deep - something Manning does too often.

I expect fewer mistakes as the season progresses and the forwards and defensemen get on the same page.

I think with the defensemen we're developing, this scheme can be deadly because most defenses don't quickly pick up on the defenseman jumping into the play which opens up opportunities for clean shots - and why you like having forwards who can and will go to the net and set screens - you want someone messing with the goalie as Ghost/Sanheim/Provorov and even MacDonald or Hagg or Gudas snap off shots from 25 feet.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Do you think I take any pleasure in the flyers losing? Do you think I take any pleasure in coots not succeeding? We lost that game way before that final pp. A goal there would have masked a poor game but we did not lose because of one play.

Don't be so paranoid. I was clearly talking about Captain Dave Poulin. He has many kinky fetishes, the likes of which include wet noodle flub passes. Even just the thought of them turns him into jelly.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yes. Yes I do.

Well you are mistaken. I don't take any pleasure in his failures. The guy is elite at 1 thing, an important role in the nhl. A role that we are currently lacking as a team. Instead he is being asked to play another role and i don't believe he has the ability to compliment other skilled players.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Someone gif that Couturier pass for a certain someone to pleasure himself to.

Not fulfilling your exact request, but in the same spirit:

FTDQn92.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well you are mistaken. I don't take any pleasure in his failures. The guy is elite at 1 thing, an important role in the nhl. A role that we are currently lacking as a team. Instead he is being asked to play another role and i don't believe he has the ability to compliment other skilled players.

Jtown...you are a smart guy. You know that EVERYONE'S biggest issue with you is that you ignore that Couts has produced at a #2C or better rate the last 2 years. COMPLETELY IGNORE IT.

And your last line is proof of this. Last year he was with Voracek and Konecny to start the year....how did they do? There is a reason why every wing plays better with Couts, than without him.

But you know this. It's been all told to you thousands of times. You ignore it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

MacDonald got there in time to limit the shooter's path and keep him on Neuvirth's left side and take away any deke move, Neuvirth had a shot at stopping that shot, that's why it's nice to have a top goalie instead of merely a good one.

WTF is this made up nonesense????

AMac POINTED to Provy to take the man with the puck...and he/Flip would take the other guy. Provy listened. The pass came across. They didn't take their guy. Their guy scored. Provy should have ignored AMac.

I have little/no issue with AMac pinching because he had backup. It's the backcheck and directing Provy to take one guy so he/Flip can take the other....then their guy scoring that was more of an issue to me. Now maybe he did so thinking Flip would keep skating. Sure. But don't tell Provy to take the puck carrier if you are not going to take the other guy....just let Provy play the 2-1.

as for the Bobby Orr comment. AMAc and Sissons are the 2 guys that come together in the Peds slot. Sissons out skated him and Flip to the Flyers end. He lost the footrace and directed traffic wrong to Provy.

Lots of blame for multiple guys. You trying to say AMac has NO BLAME is wrong.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
A-Mac apologists are the weirdest mother****ers I have ever encountered.

Haha right? I don't care so much about that play last game, but in general this season every time I see someone say "He's not that bad, he had a good game, he's a legitimate NHL defenseman, it's just his salary that is the problem" - I just wonder how many mountains of evidence it will take before it sinks in that he is profoundly terrible. And nearly without exception, the game after one of his non-disaster performances, he trips over his own feet or tackles the goalie or blows 10 assignments. He's a diabolical mess.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you're all Manicheans on this board.
MacDonald is a decent defensemen, we've seen much worse (including MacDonald in past years).
I mean some of the people knocking him were probably Gustafsson supporters in the day.

3rd pair D-men are fungible, the fact that he's paired with Provorov doesn't change that.
The D-men get similar ES times (Gudas has less, but that will change as they get confidence in Sanheim).
The difference is Provorov and Ghost get extra ES shifts, and Ghost gets the majority of PP minutes
Provorov, Hagg, Gudas and MacDonald get the PK minutes, but they had Sanheim on the PK, so they may be working him in that role.
If so MacDonald will probably get the fewest minutes per game of the six by the second half of the season.

I think Myers is probably going to replace MacDonald next year b/c he's RH.
Morin, not sure where he fits unless they put Sanheim on his right side.
Because Ghost prefers the left side, Provorov is strictly a LH D-man, so Sanheim would have to move, and pair with Morin, with Hagg or Gudas with Ghost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sporting News: MacDonald

Scouting Report
Assets:
Moves the puck well and is generally good with the puck. Can log an awful lot of ice time at all levels. Very mobile, he also has a bit of offensive ability (especially at lower levels).
Flaws:
Does not play a consistent game at all, in all facets of the game, so there is a true lack of dependability and reliability here. Is somewhat prone to injury. Lacks ideal size.
Career Potential:
Mobile, veteran depth defenseman.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad