Prospect Info: 68th Overall - Samu Salminen

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'd say Salminen is a borderline player at best for Finland. He's likely not a top 6 talent, and his game isn't tremendously suited to the bottom 6. So, I'm not sure he makes much difference to Finland either way.
Finland has a weak center depth for this year's WJC. Looking at centers they picked for the "main" WJC team, there's Kapanen (2nd round 2021), Rönni (2nd round 2022), Päivärinta (undrafted), Miettinen (undrafted) and Knihti (undrafted).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Finland has a weak center depth for this year's WJC. Looking at centers they picked for the "main" WJC team, there's Kapanen (2nd round 2021), Rönni (2nd round 2022), Päivärinta (undrafted), Miettinen (undrafted) and Knihti (undrafted).
Then something is up with Salminen. Did they snub him for a tournament and then he declined when asked later? Did he do something while on a national team to anger those in charge? His public story has been a bit strange as I see it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd rank Kapanen and Ronni well ahead of Salminen, and I'd guess Finland's coaching staff feels the other three players are better suited to a bottom-6-type role.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
@Jersey Fan 12 posted this article to the Team Finland 2023 U20 WJC roster talk thread. Perhaps some of you are interested in that article.

“I think he’s been really solid. It’s been almost unfair, we threw him into that first game with only three practices under his belt against a really good Boston College team. But with every game he’s getting more and more confidence,” Cavanaugh said.

“He’s a big strong kid. He’s a guy that can play both ends of the sheet. He’s doing some nice things on the power play for us and in time, I also see him being a penalty killer as well.

He has 5 points in 10 games (5 points in his last 6 games).

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
In retrospect it appears Salminen would have helped Finland. At the same time, given the time it took to get things settled at UConn it might have been better for his development to remain with the Huskies rather than spending time away from school.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Still might have a decent prospect in him. Has some nice tools and is only 19. Okay start to his college career as he adjusts and has lots of time still to make an impact there and earn an ELC.

Wouldn’t be suprised if he was a late bloomer who turned into a decent NHL player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs3cups

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In retrospect it appears Salminen would have helped Finland. At the same time, given the time it took to get things settled at UConn it might have been better for hos development to re!ain with the Huskies rather than spending time away from school.
ya, very much so.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
can a 3rd round pick really bust? what a pointless post

Not that the original post is anything worth responding to, but I think so, yes. If a drafted player doesn't have a career in one of the top pro leagues (NHL, AHL, KHL, SHL, SM-Liiga, Swiss League), I'd consider that a bust. By this estimation, Alex Urbom is not a bust but Connor Chatham is.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Not that the original post is anything worth responding to, but I think so, yes. If a drafted player doesn't have a career in one of the top pro leagues (NHL, AHL, KHL, SHL, SM-Liiga, Swiss League), I'd consider that a bust. By this estimation, Alex Urbom is not a bust but Connor Chatham is.
I think they can be considered a bad pick but not a bust. Don’t really care how they do elsewhere and by the numbers a 3rd round pick shouldn’t technically be expected to have an NHL career. Any 3rd round pick that does it a a good pick.

If they shouldn’t be expected to be an NHL player getting taken in the 3rd round it’s unreasonable to consider them a bust.
Especially not this soon after being drafted.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Saw Salminen mentioned in the Stillman thread so I figured I'd check to see how things are going.

Seems Huskies have cooled a bit since their fast start - and a surprising pair of losses last weekend to UNH - but his numbers are solid for a 19-year-old freshman in Hockey East.

UConn will likely need to at least reach the Hockey East finals to earn an NCAA bid but even that might not do it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

1706378007997.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad