Prospect Info: 68th Overall - Samu Salminen

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Playing in the Jokerit system, centre Samu Salminen spent the season with their affiliate in the Finnish Under-20 League. Salminen scored 10 goals and 16 assists for 26 points in 17 games. He also had an incredible 70.2% face-off percentage, the best in the entire league. Salminen played with the Finnish team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He was named team captain. Salminen had an outstanding tournament with seven goals and two assists for nine points in seven games.

2021 NHL Draft #55: Samu Salminen Scouting Report

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Samu Salminen is another safe pick, upside as a bottom 6 F. No standout tools except he's very smart both with and without the puck. Nice size, average skates. Knows how to score, but not necessarily dangerous offensively. I'd rank him below Jaromir Pytlik in the Devils prospect center depth chart.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Salminen was certainly a safe pick. He has a high probability of NHL career, due to the fact that he has no outstanding weaknesses and a high hockey IQ. The Devils need more C depth and Salminen addresses this. I don't feel he offers as much upside or jam as Pytlik for future Devils bottom 6 Cs, but his smarts really shine around the net and he can score.

This is a very conservative pick, but there are some things to like about it.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wheeler's write up:

29. Samu Salminen — C/LW, Jokerit, 6-foot-2

Here’s the thing about Samu Salminen: He’s got one of the best shots in the draft. Here’s the other thing about Samu Salminen: He’s an awkward, clumsy skater through his forward pushes. Juxtaposing those things can be difficult because the list of natural scorers at lower levels who don’t pan out because of skating issues is a long one. But the more I’ve watched Salminen, the more convinced I’ve become that with the right development he’ll be just fine. The shot is the shot. He’s going to be able to beat goalies with it when he gets to his spots and it gives him legitimate power-play upside. It comes off heavy (with a lot of spin) and he places it under the bar at a very high rate without missing the net a lot. But there’s more to Salminen’s game than that. He’s also a deft stickhandler, which blends well with his length to make him an excellent puck protector, helping him get to his spots with control against reaching defenders when the play slows down inside the offensive zone. And he’s also a conscientious player without the puck. So not only does he win his fair share of board battles but he then has the tools required to take the play off of the wall to the interior.

Pronman's:

TIER 6: Projected to play NHL games

39. Samu Salminen, C, Jokerit-Jr. A. Liiga

April 9, 2003 | 6-foot-2 | 186 pounds
Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Above-average

Salminen saw his club season end early due to restrictions in the Helsinki area but finished well with a big U18 worlds where he was one of Finland’s best players. Salminen is a big center who can make plays and do so in the hard areas of the ice or off the flank. He gets to the net and competes well but isn’t overly physical. He lacks NHL quickness, which is the main concern on projecting him to the top level. He has offense, not a flashy type, but makes a lot happen consistently when he’s on the ice due to his smarts and shows instances of individual skill while also being a faceoff ace. Scouts see him as a coach’s favorite type. In a sentence, Salminen projects as an NHL bottom-six center with third-line center as a realistic outcome.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Salminen was certainly a safe pick. He has a high probability of NHL career, due to the fact that he has no outstanding weaknesses and a high hockey IQ. The Devils need more C depth and Salminen addresses this. I don't feel he offers as much upside or jam as Pytlik for future Devils bottom 6 Cs, but his smarts really shine around the net and he can score.

This is a very conservative pick, but there are some things to like about it.
I have to imagine management thinks we have a lot of high-end youth up front and are looking to build a core of middle/bottom 6 studs who have scoring touches

these are things contending teams sorely lack often, so it shows some foresight I think

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Devils must have really liked Samu since they tend to skew towards good skaters. To take a guy who needs to improve skating I would imagine they felt more forced to take him than initially thinking he would be their pick.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
One of the best performers of the U18s, great value pick. I think the concern with him is can he play at the pace you need to at the pro level as he’s not the best skater but the devils I’m sure are banking on his strong IQ making up for that and maybe are thinking there is room for improvement in his skating that a skills coach can work on. Seems like he can be a good PP guy and can maybe play 3C. Has a sneaky good shot and good vision with size.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
MOAR FINNS!!
2012109166409362-2012-11SightingsFB.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad