Prospect Info: 68th Overall - Samu Salminen

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Devils prospect Samu Salminen's NHL pursuit remains on track, despite less conventional path

“Salminen then debated whether or not to stay in Finland and play a third season at the under-20 level or finish his schooling remotely in North America while playing one season in the USHL (a path the Devils endorsed). For a while, the latter was actually the plan, and Salminen got as far as joining team Zoom calls with the USHL’s Dubuque Fighting Saints through a connection to their general manager, Kalle Larsson.

Larsson says COVID-19 was the reason that didn’t materialize.

“It’s unfortunate because he’s a hell of a player and a great kid,” Larsson said. “He would have been big time for us. But that’s just how the world is these days.””

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Devils prospect Samu Salminen's NHL pursuit remains on track, despite less conventional path

“Salminen then debated whether or not to stay in Finland and play a third season at the under-20 level or finish his schooling remotely in North America while playing one season in the USHL (a path the Devils endorsed). For a while, the latter was actually the plan, and Salminen got as far as joining team Zoom calls with the USHL’s Dubuque Fighting Saints through a connection to their general manager, Kalle Larsson.

Larsson says COVID-19 was the reason that didn’t materialize.

“It’s unfortunate because he’s a hell of a player and a great kid,” Larsson said. “He would have been big time for us. But that’s just how the world is these days.””
That is an ughh moment

Reactions: glenwo2

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Bumping this thread because it’s been a while, he’s a legitimate prospect and he looked pretty good in the scrimmage today.

For all the talk about his poor skating I thought it looked decent today. A little sloppy but he got around well.
Going to a top NCAA program is his best chance to becoming an average skater.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I liked this pick at the time as he was slated to possibly be a late 1st round pick and we took him in the 3rd round. You never know what a player can turn into...I would have preferred for him to be playing for the defending National Champs but he will atleast be playing D1 puck in Hockey East against some good programs. UCONN was playing out of the XL center in Hartford but will be playing in a brand new arena on the college campus starting this year. Gonna have to go try to check it out and see Salminen playing for the Huskies.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Salminen not on roster for 4-Nations tournament. Probably not a very good sign. Miko Matikka is on roster and he's also NCAA committed.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Salminen not on roster for 4-Nations tournament. Probably not a very good sign. Miko Matikka is on roster and he's also NCAA committed.
They didn’t take him to last season’s WJC so something happened with him. Maybe he just stinks but he also won’t be attending Denver because of something “admissions” related. There is more to this story but we will probably never know.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
They didn’t take him to last season’s WJC so something happened with him. Maybe he just stinks but he also won’t be attending Denver because of something “admissions” related. There is more to this story but we will probably never know.
If he can't make the team in December then there's definitely something wrong with him. Finland's center group is pretty weak.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Salminen isn't on the "main" team or on the "challenger" team for U20 WJC tournament in Czechia. Him playing in NA can't explain his absence since Verner Miettinen (USHL), Miko Matikka (USHL) and Aku Koskenvuo (NCAA) are playing in that tournament. Only other guy missing is Brad Lambert, but he has already played in the past 2 WJC touraments anyway, so probably a lock to make the WJC team. I would assume at this point that Salminen isn't going to play at WJC.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Salminen isn't on the "main" team or on the "challenger" team for U20 WJC tournament in Czechia. Him playing in NA can't explain his absence since Verner Miettinen (USHL), Miko Matikka (USHL) and Aku Koskenvuo (NCAA) are playing in that tournament. Only other guy missing is Brad Lambert, but he has already played in the past 2 WJC touraments anyway, so probably a lock to make the WJC team. I would assume at this point that Salminen isn't going to play at WJC.
Any idea why that is? I have to believe Salminen is good enough to make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad