$45-million salary cap agreed on, Saturday NHL will uncancel season- THN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

Someone start making those calls to Europe. I guess.

Looks like the avatars are gone again! :joker: I fully expect the server to explode!

ResidentAlien*

Top Shelf said:
This is such unbelievable good news...the Great One continues to shine even with his blades off...way to go Wayne!

So should I order my Center Ice package now?

ya no kidding, i wonder what kind of discount we will get??

Robert Paulson*

Top Shelf said:
This is such unbelievable good news...the Great One continues to shine even with his blades off...way to go Wayne!

So should I order my Center Ice package now?
No love for Lemieux? :dunno:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Mark Fischel said:
Not to rain on any parades, but there is so much that needs to be negotiated besides the salarycap issue.

A CBA is a major piece of legal documentation that breaks down EVERY single issue that can come up, and sme of the stuff is excruciatingly detailed and boring. (I know, I read the last CBA and have a copy of it in my desk somewhere)

Lawyers will be combing over single line to make sure verbage is done correctly. Every little financial point has to be argued over, from per diem to how much and how long a team will have to pay a players mortgage if they trade him.

And let's not even get into the free agncy rules that the NHLPA will want relaxed now since they conceded. owners probably are not going to go lower on the UFA and RFA rules. What about arbitration rights, rookie salary caps, trainign camp agreements, travel negotiations, etc etc etc.

If there is an agreement to a salary cap, that is only one of the big issues, and if that it out of thw way, and the NHLPA agrees to whatever the owners want in the CBA, than we might have a meaningful season, but if there is any debate over the little issues (which are now the big issues), a CBA will take some time to work on.

And what about recalling all the players from all across the globe, setting up ice times, making a schedule, booking the dates in the arenas, rehiring all the laid-off staff, and getting the training camps up and rolling.

Will it be soon enough to have a meaningful season that isnt a complete charade?

Mark,

This is not personal but are you telling me they have agreed on nothing since September? That is ludicrous.

X0ssbar

LetsGoPens63 said:
No love for Lemieux? :dunno:

Your right...I should definitely acknowledge Super Mario...where would this game be without these two legends..

Macman

May 15, 2004
One thing's pretty obvious about all of this. Bettman needs to be fired and replaced by Gretzky.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Mark Fischel said:
Not to rain on any parades, but there is so much that needs to be negotiated besides the salarycap issue.

A CBA is a major piece of legal documentation that breaks down EVERY single issue that can come up, and sme of the stuff is excruciatingly detailed and boring. (I know, I read the last CBA and have a copy of it in my desk somewhere)

Lawyers will be combing over single line to make sure verbage is done correctly. Every little financial point has to be argued over, from per diem to how much and how long a team will have to pay a players mortgage if they trade him.

And let's not even get into the free agncy rules that the NHLPA will want relaxed now since they conceded. owners probably are not going to go lower on the UFA and RFA rules. What about arbitration rights, rookie salary caps, trainign camp agreements, travel negotiations, etc etc etc.

If there is an agreement to a salary cap, that is only one of the big issues, and if that it out of thw way, and the NHLPA agrees to whatever the owners want in the CBA, than we might have a meaningful season, but if there is any debate over the little issues (which are now the big issues), a CBA will take some time to work on.

And what about recalling all the players from all across the globe, setting up ice times, making a schedule, booking the dates in the arenas, rehiring all the laid-off staff, and getting the training camps up and rolling.

Will it be soon enough to have a meaningful season that isnt a complete charade?
Great point, however I believe that they have already agreed to much of this already, and the cap issue was the big sticking point.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Until Bettman and the NHL announces a Press Conference for tomorrow or Sunday, I don't get my hopes up. I just can't stomach another let down.

:dunno:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
If this is true, and this happens.. I will be much, MUCH more forgiving than I would have been next year. Good move by both sides if they can actually pull it off.

X0ssbar

I know what I'm drinking to right now - the fact I am about to have a major philosophical divide with this business forum if this season is indeed saved..! :cheers:

LazyCamel2000

Jul 16, 2004
LetsGoPens63 said:
I'm guessing Gretzky had a talk with him at some point, telling him to stand up.

Shane Doan along with other nhl'ers usually practice at the alltel ice den the former training facility for the phonix coyotes, monday through thursday, friday is their golf day :D Shane Doan who is out there 99.9% of the time wasn't there wensday or thursday. Good news :yo:

Jonathan

Feb 27, 2002
MA
Visit site
We do care!

I just wish ESPN and all the sports types could see this forumn and see that people do really care that hockey is back. I am so sick of hearing that no one gives a crap about the NHL. I echo what someone said about not booing when hockey comes back, let's support our teams, and get hockey back to its glory days. I knows it's not 100% done yet, but I am excited nonetheless. Can't wait to see what rule changes they have in store and what team the Bruins will field.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
The season can die for all I care, as long as they have a deal signed and delivered to guarantee that next season starts on time without any problems is what is essential right now. Apparently even ESPN isn't shutting up about the NHL right now, on NBA all-star weekend. This is supposed to be the time when the other sports pretend to play dead so that people will actually watch the all-star garbarge weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad