$45-million salary cap agreed on, Saturday NHL will uncancel season- THN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
ChiHawks468 said:
I disagree, especially if the 100% lux tax from 42 to 45 mil is included.

I hope the 100 percent tax starts at 40, and it'd be nice if they had a half tax at something like 36. Then I'd be more than happy with it.

Reilly311

unless there is linkage or revanue sharing, a 45 million cap is pointless.

PredsFan77*

So how exactly are they going to get under the cap? Just have a huge fire sell?

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
EroCaps said:
Agreed. Newsday really came through. Note to self.

However, Ted Leonsis was on DC radio this morning discussing this whole thing in length and he said several times that he was mildly displeased with the 42.5 million cap, considering the 44 million NBA cap and their revenues. If this 45 mill. cap doesn't have serious luxury taxes past 42.5, I'm thinking that there will be at least 10-15 owners very unhappy.

Nah, the NBA has a 44 million dollar soft cap. 27 teams are over the cap. I think the Mavs payroll is $80 million.

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
welcome to bizzaro world! AND DAMN IT NEVER FELT SO GOOD! (if true)

my excitement level is off the charts right now, its simply orgasmic. if this happens, i couldnt be happier. i admit, i gave up after being so optimistic, but hey i'll take it. i need to go run some laps around the block naked in -20 to calm down.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
waffledave said:
Man this is getting freaky. Lately all the things I have been praying for have been happening. And every single time, it gets really really bad and looks like it won't happen, and then it does.

For example, I was praying that I passed one of my econ courses, and I wrote the final thinking I failed for sure. When I got my transcript, it said I got an F. I was angry because I had prayed so hard to pass, and I failed.

2 weeks later, my prof e-mails me to tell me he made a mistake and I got a B+. And now the hockey thing too! And some other small things as well. Man this is getting freaky!

Keep praying, man. We're not there yet.

SenatorsFan

Nov 21, 2004
Doctor Zoidberg said:
Yup, Bettman announced he had already written another speech for his wednesday press conference had the NHLPA and NHL come to an agreement. In that speech, he was going to outline all the new rule changes for this season. He said they were going to have some fun this season and see what worked and what didn't. He made it sound like there were quite a few rule changes. YES!!!

Source?

leafaholix*

I just wet myself.

I love WAYNE AND MARIO!

Once again, the Canadian's save the game.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I was thinking a deal would get done. I think once the players got over the shock of a cap proposal cominging from the PA side it would be insane not to get a deal now. I was counting on a deal today or yesterday but I bet they are ironing out all the details. I am still confident we will all be watching hockey by the first week of march. If all these rumors turn out to be true and no deal is made, it will be a sad day for hockey.

I am Jack's Fish

Not to rain on any parades, but there is so much that needs to be negotiated besides the salarycap issue.

A CBA is a major piece of legal documentation that breaks down EVERY single issue that can come up, and sme of the stuff is excruciatingly detailed and boring. (I know, I read the last CBA and have a copy of it in my desk somewhere)

Lawyers will be combing over single line to make sure verbage is done correctly. Every little financial point has to be argued over, from per diem to how much and how long a team will have to pay a players mortgage if they trade him.

And let's not even get into the free agncy rules that the NHLPA will want relaxed now since they conceded. owners probably are not going to go lower on the UFA and RFA rules. What about arbitration rights, rookie salary caps, trainign camp agreements, travel negotiations, etc etc etc.

If there is an agreement to a salary cap, that is only one of the big issues, and if that it out of thw way, and the NHLPA agrees to whatever the owners want in the CBA, than we might have a meaningful season, but if there is any debate over the little issues (which are now the big issues), a CBA will take some time to work on.

And what about recalling all the players from all across the globe, setting up ice times, making a schedule, booking the dates in the arenas, rehiring all the laid-off staff, and getting the training camps up and rolling.

Will it be soon enough to have a meaningful season that isnt a complete charade?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
SenatorsFan said:

There will be regular season OT shootout, the nets will be pushed up/back(?) to hinder cycling behind the net, and there will be touch-up offsides. They're also considering getting rid of the red line, but that may not come for a year or so. Source: George McPhee. It's not %100, but he seemed to suggest they were all but decided upon.

Flyers Hockey

Feb 17, 2005
All things considered a 45 million cap for the players is not that bad. They obviously lost this battle, but it's not the 32 million the owners were talking about.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
SenatorsFan said:

He said it during his press conference. He said he had another sheet of paper with a list of rule changes he was planning on reading if there had been a deal that morning.

NewBreed19

Grandpabuzz said:
Along with Mr.Doan as well, the new favorite of the NHL if the agreement is reached.
He's my favorite! I love all hockey people. I hope everything is true and we don't come to a crashing hault .
:)

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
EroCaps said:
There will be regular season OT shootout, the nets will be pushed up/back(?) to hinder cycling behind the net, and there will be touch-up offsides. They're also considering getting rid of the red line, but that may not come for a year or so. Source: George McPhee. It's not %100, but he seemed to suggest they were all but decided upon.

Any word on no-touch icing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->