GDT: 3/27/18 - Weathering the storm - Devils vs Hurricanes 7PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think it'd be either Gibbons or Wood if Mojo gets to 100%. I wouldn't be shocked if it'd be Wood because he hasn't been producing as much in the past month and Gibbons provides very solid PK play. Bratt is definitely going to be the next in line to sit when Maroon is back up and running.
Given Gibbon's(and Coleman's) play on the PK, which was again on display last night, I doubt he sits.

Wood has looked shaky lately. Thinking too much maybe? In a weird spot in his development where he is looking to make plays as opposed to just attacking the net? But can you pull his speed and tenacity(but he needs to bring it)?

Would Shero/Hynes be ballsy enough to sit Grabner who he just traded for? Or Boyle and the whole story that goes along with him? Maroon too, I mean he's been good, but he is slow, has missed games, and in general I'm more partial to the hard working guys who have been with us all year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Gibbons is never sitting. They like his overall game way too much.

Noesen will be one of the guys they rotate in or out, which is something they have been doing all year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I hate the thought of sitting Wood. Come playoff time he would be a nightmare for the opposition if he can control his emotions. His size/speed and ability to deliver a big hit will be clutch in the playoffs...if we make them.
Sitting Wood isn't an option for me. His speed is too dangerous.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gibbons is never sitting. They like his overall game way too much.

Noesen will be one of the guys they rotate in or out, which is something they have been doing all year
As one of 2 pure RW's(well 3 if you include Stafford) I'm not so hot on this. And he's been good. Granted I do have Coleman and Gibbons higher up on my depth chart, and someone does have to sit. It's tough choices.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I love Noesen, one of the best bottom 6 players we've had in a while. Same with Coleman to be honest. That kind of depth can really push us forward down this stretch.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
At the end of the day, it's a fantastic problem to have. We have so many interchangeable parts that you really can't go wrong.

The only reason I suggest Wood is because he has seemed more tentative since the suspension. He's without a doubt a lethal weapon out there, but doesn't necessarily provide the other qualities that some of the other wingers we have outside of that. speed This is all assuming Mojo comes back this season, which I still don't know for certain even if he's skating.

I could just as easily see Maroon take a seat or two if they feel they need more speed in the lineup as opposed to size. I would be stunned if they ever consider sitting Boyle, but understand why people believe he should.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
To me it's not even a close call that Boyle should be the one to sit. He hasn't been awful and he's a decent enough 4th liner, but we just have better options. Maroon in for him when he's healthy makes too much sense. Coleman is more than capable of handling 4C duties.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Probably not a controversial statement here, but Blake Coleman is pretty easily better than Jacob Josefson, right?

Even when it looked like his finishing ability was down there with Josefson's, he evened things out by scoring a few goals during this stretch.

I think he's a more valuable player in almost all facets, outside of the shootout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dialamo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I tend to lean towards sitting Boyle but, for a 4th line C, he's been good this year. Streaky, and not as good perhaps as some of our other 4th line guys, but overall I've liked his season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To me it's not even a close call that Boyle should be the one to sit. He hasn't been awful and he's a decent enough 4th liner, but we just have better options. Maroon in for him when he's healthy makes too much sense. Coleman is more than capable of handling 4C duties.
you beat me to it.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Probably not a controversial statement here, but Blake Coleman is pretty easily than Jacob Josefson, right?

Even when it looked like his finishing ability was down there with Josefson's, he evened things out by scoring a few goals during this stretch.

I think he's a more valuable player in almost all facets, outside of the shootout.
How do you know? Has he taken any shootouts? I can't remember, but I don't *THINK* so, but either way it would be a small sample size. Maybe he's better at that too. Who knows? :)

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
It would probably do Boyle some good to get a day off. But it doesn't seem to be in the plans.

I haven’t looked at faceoff numbers, but what does Boyle add? It’s not speed or goal scoring prowess. A man his size playing so soft is like a dude with a 12” wiener who’s abstinent: a pure waste of size. I don’t know if his cancer/personal struggles and being a leader is what’s keeping him in the lineup, but I hope that’s not the case. I would go with Coleman as 4C.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I haven’t looked at faceoff numbers, but what does Boyle add? It’s not speed or goal scoring prowess. A man his size playing so soft is like a dude with a 12” wiener who’s abstinent: a pure waste of size. I don’t know if his cancer/personal struggles and being a leader is what’s keeping him in the lineup, but I hope that’s not the case. I would go with Coleman as 4C.

Zajac is at 50.9%, Boyle 50.7%. But faceoffs aren't sexy, so no one cares. :laugh: It's really the main reason he is still in the lineup, I'm sure.

Coleman is 47.9%, Zacha is 43.8%, Nico is 42.8%.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How do you know? Has he taken any shootouts? I can't remember, but I don't *THINK* so, but either way it would be a small sample size. Maybe he's better at that too. Who knows? :)
You're right, we don't know what he's like at the shootout.

I doubt he's quite as good as Josefson is at it, as Josefson is like over a 50% career guy, which is like one of the best ever (LOL), but he might be good at it? Did he take a shot in that long shootout against the Bruins? I don't even remember. Maybe he's taken them in the AHL?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Probably not a controversial statement here, but Blake Coleman is pretty easily than Jacob Josefson, right?

Coleman and Josefson should not be compared. Coleman is way better this season than Josefson ever was.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zajac is at 50.9%, Boyle 50.7%. But faceoffs aren't sexy, so no one cares. :laugh: It's really the main reason he is still in the lineup, I'm sure.

Coleman is 47.9%, Zacha is 43.8%, Nico is 42.8%.

It’s not just that, Ward still can’t quit having Boyle as the big body on the PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad