GDT: 3/27/18 - Weathering the storm - Devils vs Hurricanes 7PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
IMO, de Haan is the only realistic option to replace Moore. I'm a bit depressed about that. Maybe things will change as we head to the draft?

I see some potential trades out there (TJ Brodie? Oliver Kylington? Haydn Fleury?), but the cost feels high, and it's not clear that we'd get enough of an upgrade from Moore to make the cost worth it.

If we could find someone who values McLeod highly, maybe there's a deal to be made. Otherwise, Wood is really our most tradeable asset. Is Wood (+ losing Moore) worth it to get Fleury? Fleury is 3rd pair right now, and has been a healthy scratch. He's not stepping in and playing top tier minutes.

OEL is interesting, obviously. I'd love to pry Brodin out of Minnesota. I just don't see these as realistic options.

With Greene and Lovejoy on the books with significant hits next year and Mueller and Santini needing spots, I'm not sure Shero will see defense as the pressing need the fans do. Especially if the team makes the playoffs. I could see him looking at Corey's numbers if KK finishes strong and chalking the problems up to Corey's injuries and just rolling next year with what is already there. Maybe he brings back Moore if he can get him for a two year deal. Shero won't sit tight if a good deal presents itself but I'm not sure he'll go looking for a marginal upgrade.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
IMO, de Haan is the only realistic option to replace Moore. I'm a bit depressed about that. Maybe things will change as we head to the draft?

I see some potential trades out there (TJ Brodie? Oliver Kylington? Haydn Fleury?), but the cost feels high, and it's not clear that we'd get enough of an upgrade from Moore to make the cost worth it.

If we could find someone who values McLeod highly, maybe there's a deal to be made. Otherwise, Wood is really our most tradeable asset. Is Wood (+ losing Moore) worth it to get Fleury? Fleury is 3rd pair right now, and has been a healthy scratch. He's not stepping in and playing top tier minutes.

OEL is interesting, obviously. I'd love to pry Brodin out of Minnesota. I just don't see these as realistic options.

Very hard to predict, but I have a strong feeling Severson isn't on the Devils next year.

I think Shero goes hard for Carlson if he becomes a UFA and if he lands him, deals Severson for assets (or a LD). If Carlson doesn't come to fruition, I'd expect Shero to use Severson as a piece for a Doughty or Karlsson deal. A young top-four defender on a cost-controlled deal should be a very intriguing trade piece.

The missing piece for the Devils right now and moving forward is a #1D; Hall himself mentioned on Whitney's podcast last year that every Cup-winning team has that #1D. I think Shero knows that and will look to add that guy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Very hard to predict, but I have a strong feeling Severson isn't on the Devils next year.

I think Shero goes hard for Carlson if he becomes a UFA and if he lands him, deals Severson for assets (or a LD). If Carlson doesn't come to fruition, I'd expect Shero to use Severson as a piece for a Doughty or Karlsson deal. A young top-four defender on a cost-controlled deal should be a very intriguing trade piece.

The missing piece for the Devils right now and moving forward is a #1D; Hall himself mentioned on Whitney's podcast last year that every Cup-winning team has that #1D. I think Shero knows that and will look to add that guy.

Two questions:

Why do you think Shero knows this?

What #1 D man has Pittsburgh had in the last 15 years?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Two questions:

Why do you think Shero knows this?

What #1 D man has Pittsburgh had in the last 15 years?

Last several years, it's been Letang, but he's almost never been healthy. Before that, they had Gonchar which is a bit more debatable, but he was still a 60+ point defenseman during his time in Pittsburgh. Interestingly enough, both guys were signed/drafted a year before he inherited the Penguins

You get a bit of lee-way when you can run Crosby - Malkin - Staal/Bonino, but very few teams have that luxury. Devils are going to need either a very deep and well balanced defensive core or that top guy that can win you games to be consistently competitive.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It's easy to say afterwards, but this is still a great comment!
I still stand by it, I don’t think he played well at all. However, he was in the right spot at the right time and got the job done when the team needed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->