GDT: 3/27/18 - Weathering the storm - Devils vs Hurricanes 7PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

From Colorado tonight we will get help.

Strange game. We'd be dominant in their end for several shifts and then sluggish and disorganized in our own end. We gave them huge amounts of ice to skate towards our end. Generally they were stronger in the neutral zone.

Man did we find creative ways to turn the puck over last night. At our blue line At their blue line. In our own damn end. Half a dozen to ten times we actually skated the puck backwards into our own end for them, when they'd have been offsides if they'd carried it in.

Once in the first period, one of our forwards actually made a drop pass in our own end with like three enemy forwards standing around the puck, resulting in their breaking down low like 3 on 1. The three guys were standing there and our fellow just skates away from it. "There guys. Merry Xmas." Another time Hischier passed it to one of their forwards, directly, in our end, leading to a a partial break. Then the 3d period, on the power play, Butcher's turnover nearly lost the game for us. He just turned and gave them the puck. "My compliments, here's the biscuit." Palmieri broke up the two on one, but really Stahl should have shot the puck, he had Kinkaid wrong footed and desperately trying to come across and a side of the net open.

Maybe ten or twenty times also I can remember us just fumbling pucks away in center ice or at their blue line. Trying to make elegant plays and wham their defenseman would just take puck while we were diddling around with it.

I don't remember another game all year as marked for those kinds of plays.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Chico thinks Hall is the most dynamic Devil ever.

Hall is 11 points away from Patty’s single season high. 6 games remain.
Kind of silly thing for Chico to say. A forward playing in NJ from 1994 to 2010 wasn't allowed to be "dynamic". And forget about Defensemen. It's the reason people like Gomez and Niedermayer always but heads with either Lemaire or Burns.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
From Colorado tonight we will get help.

Strange game. We'd be dominant in their end for several shifts and then sluggish and disorganized in our own end. We gave them huge amounts of ice to skate towards our end. Generally they were stronger in the neutral zone.

Man did we find creative ways to turn the puck over last night. At our blue line At their blue line. In our own damn end. Half a dozen to ten times we actually skated the puck backwards into our own end for them, when they'd have been offsides if they'd carried it in.

Once in the first period, one of our forwards actually made a drop pass in our own end with like three enemy forwards standing around the puck, resulting in their breaking down low like 3 on 1. The three guys were standing there and our fellow just skates away from it. "There guys. Merry Xmas." Another time Hischier passed it to one of their forwards, directly, in our end, leading to a a partial break. Then the 3d period, on the power play, Butcher's turnover nearly lost the game for us. He just turned and gave them the puck. "My compliments, here's the biscuit." Palmieri broke up the two on one, but really Stahl should have shot the puck, he had Kinkaid wrong footed and desperately trying to come across and a side of the net open.

Maybe ten or twenty times also I can remember us just fumbling pucks away in center ice or at their blue line. Trying to make elegant plays and wham their defenseman would just take puck while we were diddling around with it.

I don't remember another game all year as marked for those kinds of plays.
I don't think I can' remember a game where we gave up more egregious turnovers in our own zone. It was as if we were feeding their forwards the puck all night long. We're lucky they're relatively inept offensively.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think I can' remember a game where we gave up more egregious turnovers in our own zone. It was as if we were feeding their forwards the puck all night long. We're lucky they're relatively inept offensively.
Team was checking to see if Kinkaid's luck ran out or not ;)

Camille the Eel

We also got dominated in the neutral zone. You seldom win a game that has the profile this one had for us.

It felt like mental tiredness as much as physical for our side. A lot of the mistakes were purely bad, lazy choices.

Extraordinarily important win. Where a week a go I thought maybe 95 points would get us in, I'm now thinking 97 or 98 may be needed. That's like no margin for error.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Zacha with 3 points in 3 game since coming back, that's been huge. He's played really well too. I like Stonehands but he needed to be bumped down to the 3rd line and we needed the 2nd line center to produce. Hoping Zacha can keep this up down the stretch!

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
What is the fully healthy lineup with Maroon only day to day and Mojo back soon?

Hall-Hischier-Grabner
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Coleman

Gibbons, Bratt, Stafford, Hayes

Just guessing Bratt sits. He got benched last night as Hall was triple shifted. Hayes will never see the ice again. Stafford is bad. Gibbons is the "tough call." Good penalty killer but hasn't been scoring since he came back.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think it'd be either Gibbons or Wood if Mojo gets to 100%. I wouldn't be shocked if it'd be Wood because he hasn't been producing as much in the past month and Gibbons provides very solid PK play. Bratt is definitely going to be the next in line to sit when Maroon is back up and running.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
What is the fully healthy lineup with Maroon only day to day and Mojo back soon?

Hall-Hischier-Grabner
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Coleman

Just guessing Bratt sits. He got benched last night as Hall was triple shifted. Hayes will never see the ice again. Stafford is bad. Gibbons is the "tough call." Good penalty killer but hasn't been scoring since he came back.

I love Boyle and realize he probably won't be scratched but that 4th line would be much better with Coleman at center and Gibbons on the wing.

So much depth. But we actually need to get to the point of being fully healthy first.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Hall-Hischier-Grabner
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Coleman

I think I'd go:

Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Maroon-Zacha-Wood
Johansson-Zajac-Noesen
Grabner-Coleman-Gibbons

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I think it'd be either Gibbons or Wood if Mojo gets to 100%. I wouldn't be shocked if it'd be Wood because he hasn't been producing as much in the past month and Gibbons provides very solid PK play. Bratt is definitely going to be the next in line to sit when Maroon is back up and running.
I hate the thought of sitting Wood. Come playoff time he would be a nightmare for the opposition if he can control his emotions. His size/speed and ability to deliver a big hit will be clutch in the playoffs...if we make them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think I'd go:

Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Maroon-Zacha-Wood
Johansson-Zajac-Noesen
Grabner-Coleman-Gibbons
Don't want the skill guy with Zajac.

I think Coleman Zajac Noesen, or Gibbons Zajac Noesen brought out the best in Zajac this year.

But I can't even draw up a full lineup. There are just too many guys, I'm too conflicted.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We also got dominated in the neutral zone. You seldom win a game that has the profile this one had for us.

It felt like mental tiredness as much as physical for our side. A lot of the mistakes were purely bad, lazy choices.
I actually feel like the Canes always play us hard.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing years ago that the Carolina fans, and thus the players (presumably) consider us one of their arch-rivals. Most of us Devils fans, however, think of the Canes as an afterthought, which creates a discrepancy in intensity levels and makes it a hard game for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad