GDT: 3/27/18 - Weathering the storm - Devils vs Hurricanes 7PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
oh the canes gdt has been prime comedic material.

not only did we get the new york treatment last night but apparently no one cares about us still.

View attachment 108315

should we tell them?

A T T E N D A N C E
There's a mutual hatred developing between these franchises. Their out of town scoreboard is very similar to ours. It's understandable. Our back to back wins against Pitt and Tampa must've been infuriating for them.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Um wut?

Grabner helped win the game last night by forechecking the puck free and getting the assist on Noesens goal and then having a monster shift killing time by almost getting a ENG with 4 players murdering him. All this after having another stellar game on the PK. It is no coincidence our PK has been even better since he got here. He is a very good depth player to have. We need players like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
There's a mutual hatred developing between these franchises. Their out of town scoreboard is very similar to ours. It's understandable. Our back to back wins against Pitt and Tampa must've been infuriating for them.

someone explicitly mentioned still hating us due to the history we have.

idk why, 2006 and 2009 immediately come to mind in my book. if anything, we have a lot more reason to hate them than they hate us.

non-hockey-related but i love the sweet coincidence of our arena's college basketball team knocking their arena's college basketball team off in the tourney this year.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Grabner helped won the game last night by forechecking the puck free and getting the assist on Noesens goal and then having a monster shift killing time by almost getting a ENG with 4 players murdering him. All this after having another stellar game on the PK. It is no coincidence our PK has been even better since he got here. He is a very good depth player to have. We need players like this.

That should have been a hooking penalty and an awarded ENG to end the game.

If Grabner were hooked any harder, they might have had to surgically reattach his two halves.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That should have been a hooking penalty and an awarded ENG to end the game.

If Grabner were hooked any harder, they might have had to surgically reattach his two halves.
Maybe not an awarded goal since it was not a clear cut breakaway BUT definitely 2 minutes for attempted murder.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Grabner’s value is supposed to be his ability to score regardless of his linemates at even strength. We shouldn’t have to put him with our two best players for him to score.

I don’t understand this train of thought TBH. I never said he needs to be paired with anyone to score nor did I say anything about his supposed value. I was noting that playing him with a guy like Boyle is not going to help him get going. Playing with Boyle will drag anyone not named Hall down on this team, that’s fairly obvious. So Grabner playing with literally anyone other than Boyle will improve his game, which was my point not necessarily that he needs the Broskis on the top line. Alas this is HFBoards where you’re either wrong or wrong and everyone else knows better than you do so silly me for having an opinion.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Average 14k a game for Florida? Riiiiiiiight. Foh.
That place holds like 21,000, or something crazy like that. I feel bad for the true fans there. They have a good young team and along with the CHEAP pricing there should be a lot more people but South Florida is South Florida soooo no one cares about hockey. As for the Devils, obviously we are not a great draw but the ticket prices are pretty much league average so we are not lumped with the Carolina Phoenix Florida Islander tier of attendance where they cannot draw even with $30 lower bowl seats.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Average 14k a game for Florida? Riiiiiiiight. Foh.

it's like game 1 in 2012 which i attended. the ends of the upper decks were f***ing empty and they announced a sellout at 19k+.

i'll be generous and give them 16k actually at that game, and 4k of them were devils fans.

for all the shit we get about not filling our own rink every night we sure do represent well around the league. it's almost as if our own attendance and how we show up at far away rinks is a microcosm of the exodus from new jersey people talk about. :laugh:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
That place holds like 21,000, or something crazy like that. I feel bad for the true fans there. They have a good young team and along with the CHEAP pricing there should be a lot more people but South Florida is South Florida soooo no one cares about hockey. As for the Devils, obviously we are not a great draw but the ticket prices are pretty much league average so we are not lumped with the Carolina Phoenix Florida Islander tier of attendance where they cannot draw even with $30 lower bowl seats.

if they played in a barn that held 16k within or closer to the city limits of miami and were this good, they would sell out every night.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If I were the owner of the Panthers I would be looking to get into Miami. That is the difference between the Lightning and Panthers. Tampa draws well because the arena is in a nice city with a mix of a lot of young people who want to go to games and obviously a lot of middle aged people with money. Sunrise Florida is not exactly a Mecca. If the Panthers were in Miami they would get more young people showing up at the box office on game day and more older people with money spending money on premium seats. That is just my 2 cents.

Reactions: New Jersey

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t understand this train of thought TBH. I never said he needs to be paired with anyone to score nor did I say anything about his supposed value. I was noting that playing him with a guy like Boyle is not going to help him get going. Playing with Boyle will drag anyone not named Hall down on this team, that’s fairly obvious. So Grabner playing with literally anyone other than Boyle will improve his game, which was my point not necessarily that he needs the Broskis on the top line. Alas this is HFBoards where you’re either wrong or wrong and everyone else knows better than you do so silly me for having an opinion.
I didn't say you were wrong lol. I wouldn't be opposed to Grabner with Hall and Nico. I was just saying that he's valuable because he scores by creating something out of nothing and it generally doesn't matter if he's with high skill players or not.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it's like game 1 in 2012 which i attended. the ends of the upper decks were ****ing empty and they announced a sellout at 19k+.

i'll be generous and give them 16k actually at that game, and 4k of them were devils fans.

for all the **** we get about not filling our own rink every night we sure do represent well around the league. it's almost as if our own attendance and how we show up at far away rinks is a microcosm of the exodus from new jersey people talk about. :laugh:

was at game 7 and it was game 7 and all but it was definitely packed and it was a good atmosphere. honestly don't hate the panthers franchise that much it just sucks theyre so poorly mismanaged. would put them among the top teams id root for in the playoffs if the devils were out of it. generally speaking of course, this season i'd be pissed.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Greene still has 2 years left after this.

It just wouldn't be a wise signing. We need to upgrade the D somehow and Greene has 2 years left, while it's easier to get rid of Moore as a walk in free agency. Unless you want Greene playing 20+ minutes again next year, which really shouldn't happen.

There's really no way we can upgrade the D (or god forbid play Santini next year) without moving on from Moore, unless you think Greene is gonna retire? And Greene won't be a buyout, at least not this offseason, maybe next if he's really bad.

And we haven't even touched Lovejoy's status for next year yet. He'd be a cheap buyout to absorb, Greene would not.

Wait man, Moore (LHD) isn't blocking Santini (RHD)...

as far as upgrading is concerned, you're right - but I'm still convinced the only real way to upgrade is to either do what they did with Vatanan and Mueller (buy low on high ceiling damaged goods) or develop from within (Severson, Santini). I *know* folks love the idea of OEL/Carlsson etc... but that NEVER works. Even when the player plays up to his contract # (and that is rare unless your name is Suter) it guts the team from doing anything else because you have so much $ tied up in a Dman...

With that in mind - who do you go after?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

as far as upgrading is concerned, you're right - but I'm still convinced the only real way to upgrade is to either do what they did with Vatanan and Mueller (buy low on high ceiling damaged goods) or develop from within (Severson, Santini). I *know* folks love the idea of OEL/Carlsson etc... but that NEVER works. Even when the player plays up to his contract # (and that is rare unless your name is Suter) it guts the team from doing anything else because you have so much $ tied up in a Dman...

I wouldn't even begin to know who to go after, other than the guys you mentioned. Jake Muzzin would be pretty sweet, but I'm not sure what it would take to get him.

To get someone like that, we'd probably have to give them Severson as a starting point.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Maybe trade for Klefbom and hope he recovers from his off-year?
Or maybe wait 1 more year for the crop of FA Dmen?
*shrug*

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I wouldn't even begin to know who to go after, other than the guys you mentioned. Jake Muzzin would be pretty sweet, but I'm not sure what it would take to get him.

To get someone like that, we'd probably have to give them Severson as a starting point.

I mean, I know we all get down on Moore sometimes... but I was just watching some older games... and whether we like it or not, he's absolutely our best skating defenseman, our best goal-scoring defenseman, our best defenseman on the rush, maybe has the best vision of our defensemen, and maybe our third best puck-carrying defenseman after Butcher/Vats.

I don't think any of the above is debatable. He's actually been a terrific offensive weapon, and he's been significantly better in his zone than last year.

I think we'd trade forward prospect depth and picks now, rather than Severson... but, yes, I get your point.

Chia might give us Klefbom, right ;-) I'd actually be happy with prying one of the Dmen off of the Canes.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe trade for Klefbom and hope he recovers from his off-year?
Or maybe wait 1 more year for the crop of FA Dmen?
*shrug*

Right... Try to lift Schmaltz out of St Louis or someone from VGK (Merrill lol) or someone from WPG, or one of the NYI defensemen if they have to clear room for JT? Jack Johnson reclamation project at 31yrs?

I don't know... Not a fan of UFA defensemen unless they are plugging a depth need in the middle/bottom pair.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
someone explicitly mentioned still hating us due to the history we have.

idk why, 2006 and 2009 immediately come to mind in my book. if anything, we have a lot more reason to hate them than they hate us.

non-hockey-related but i love the sweet coincidence of our arena's college basketball team knocking their arena's college basketball team off in the tourney this year.

Cause they still think of us as worse than Satan since Scott Stevens sent Shane Willis and Ron Francis to neverneverland.

Reactions: New Jersey

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I wonder if Calvin de Haan would take a one year deal to re-establish his value after the injury

IMO, de Haan is the only realistic option to replace Moore. I'm a bit depressed about that. Maybe things will change as we head to the draft?

I see some potential trades out there (TJ Brodie? Oliver Kylington? Haydn Fleury?), but the cost feels high, and it's not clear that we'd get enough of an upgrade from Moore to make the cost worth it.

If we could find someone who values McLeod highly, maybe there's a deal to be made. Otherwise, Wood is really our most tradeable asset. Is Wood (+ losing Moore) worth it to get Fleury? Fleury is 3rd pair right now, and has been a healthy scratch. He's not stepping in and playing top tier minutes.

OEL is interesting, obviously. I'd love to pry Brodin out of Minnesota. I just don't see these as realistic options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->