2024 Youth Olympics - Gangwon, Korea

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Any defensive standouts on the American side? Or overall? I see the Finns listed above and the Canadians. Any others that popped on the other clubs?

Gordon-Carroll is a 2027, November birthday.
Defence wise for the USA, I like Barnett, but they were clearly pushing the Francisco kid (#4) the most, the kid can wheel, but I didn’t see enough finish to warrant the push he was getting. I’d bet he and Barnett will be in the program next year. Nyman will be the top D in the OHL draft this year. Rudolph and Lin get the spotlight, but Verheoff has everything teams like, if he continues his development, he could be the best of them.

Reactions: BKarchitect

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Any defensive standouts on the American side? Or overall? I see the Finns listed above and the Canadians. Any others that popped on the other clubs?

Gordon-Carroll is a 2027, November birthday.
Glad folks mentioned SGC. I saw him last year for the Mission and thought he was the best kid on an always fantastic team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I don't think any of the American defenseman stood out necessarily. Francisco was clearly the #1 in the staff's eyes and he has some nice tools but I would have liked to see him impact the game with all the opportunities he was given. I liked Lutner too although I'm not sure there's a ton of offense there. Barnett really struggled all tournament. Marthaler and Martyniuk had their moments both ways. I was most intrigued by Schairer. He had a rough opening game but improved throughout the tournament. Big RHD who looked pretty raw but has some intriguing tools if he puts them all together. NTDP loves guys with his profile.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
US defensemen:

Schairer-Big RHD with upside. Can skate and handle the puck while not being a negative defensively. Tentative and doesn't take over shifts.
Barnett-The best DFD of the US YOG team. He's like his brother (solid player), but probably a better prospect. A late birthday. Not draft eligible until 2027.
Francisco-Skating and puck-handling. Good, not great offensive talent is what I saw. Might not have an elite enough puck game, but that's his strength.

Looked like a weak defensive group. No one that good right now. Forwards were better, and I don't think they were particularly strong. The US team got lucky to win. Canada dominated them. US team didn't have the puck game and skating of Canada. Too slow and too many liabilities. Goalie Xavier Wendt stole the game.

I also want to emphatically agree about Shaeffer Gordon-Carroll, whoever above mentioned him. He's good. Skating and motor is very good. Puck game may not be more than average, but the rest will get him far in this game. I liked him the most of the forwards after the first line (Berchild, Hurlbert, Trottier), and then Stuart on the second line. Baumgarner isn't bad either. Smart power forward with some skill. Needs to work on his speed.

Wendt may have something too, but 5'11 goalie. I want to see him prove it with good SV%'s once he hits junior hockey. Would help himself if he gets a little taller also, but showed the ability to steal a game with great saves.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Both Katolický and Novák obviously have excellent individual skills in addition to their size. Tomek is also a skilled player. In general, this attack clearly surpassed the other two in terms of gameplay. I only hope that their development will continue continuously, the potential is huge. And above all, let them still have the same good movement, it can be a problem with these big players. And now their movement is clearly above standard..
I don't understand the fascination with Novak. Felt like a classbook example of a more physically mature player 'dominating' his peers. Katolicky, on the other hand, looked really good.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
US defensemen:

Schairer-Big RHD with upside. Can skate and handle the puck while not being a negative defensively. Tentative and doesn't take over shifts.
Barnett-The best DFD of the US YOG team. He's like his brother (solid player), but probably a better prospect. A late birthday. Not draft eligible until 2027.
Francisco-Skating and puck-handling. Good, not great offensive talent is what I saw. Might not have an elite enough puck game, but that's his strength.

Looked like a weak defensive group. No one that good right now. Forwards were better, and I don't think they were particularly strong. The US team got lucky to win. Canada dominated them. US team didn't have the puck game and skating of Canada. Too slow and too many liabilities. Goalie Xavier Wendt stole the game.

I also want to emphatically agree about Shaeffer Gordon-Carroll, whoever above mentioned him. He's good. Skating and motor is very good. Puck game may not be more than average, but the rest will get him far in this game. I liked him the most of the forwards after the first line (Berchild, Hurlbert, Trottier), and then Stuart on the second line. Baumgarner isn't bad either. Smart power forward with some skill. Needs to work on his speed.

Wendt may have something too, but 5'11 goalie. I want to see him prove it with good SV%'s once he hits junior hockey. Would help himself if he gets a little taller also, but showed the ability to steal a game with great saves.

Thanks for the recap PB! Definite bookmark post for me for these young kids.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I don't understand the fascination with Novak. Felt like a classbook example of a more physically mature player 'dominating' his peers. Katolicky, on the other hand, looked really good.
He had too many good moments to say it was just an advantage due to the physical side. Both have excellent individual technique. Sure, they're still young players and may not be top players as adults, but both look very promising right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad