2024 Youth Olympics - Gangwon, Korea

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I can't recall the last time I've seen a Canadian team control the play to that degree and still lose a game to the US. I almost feel fortunate that I knew the result ahead of time because it would have been a crazy one to watch live.

The US defense struggled mightily but good for Wendt having a strong game and holding them in. Hopefully he and the rest of the team are good to go with the quick turn around. One thing for sure is that they'll have to be disciplined and keep the Czechs off the power play, The latter have been solid there while the US PK has been quite poor - way too passive imo.

And I don't give it to the play by play and color guys too often in sports but the one tandem are seriously struggling to make sense of what they're watching. It's baffling.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Did you watch any of the games? Any standouts?
Yes all. lots of good performers throughout. Pyry Lammi was very good goalie. On defence Piiparinen (ill do vid) and Alalauri dominant. Also Eelis Uronen plays with an edge and Nooa Järvenpää has potential but somewhat error prone. All the centers did well. Wilmer Kallio is definetly fun to watch high skill and very competent player. Also Luka Arkko and Oliver Torkki were physical and played well.
Ill post 24,25,26 rankings in a week or so after I've watched few guys (mainly Vanhatalo/Juntunen) next weeks tournaments

Reactions: Kotirosvo and JJTT

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats US... you were better and dewerved winners. You came in waves and kept scoring! U20 too!

Loved the Czech team... thought they battled in every game and looked very promising

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Finland... Czech... US

I wouldn't have guessed that going in.

Katolick, Novak, Jarys and Kachlir were the guys that stood out the most to me. Our 2 giants will be interesting to follow... are they great? Or do they just have a big size advantage?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
So Finland... Czech... US

I wouldn't have guessed that going in.

Katolick, Novak, Jarys and Kachlir were the guys that stood out the most to me. Our 2 giants will be interesting to follow... are they great? Or do they just have a big size advantage?
Both Katolický and Novák obviously have excellent individual skills in addition to their size. Tomek is also a skilled player. In general, this attack clearly surpassed the other two in terms of gameplay. I only hope that their development will continue continuously, the potential is huge. And above all, let them still have the same good movement, it can be a problem with these big players. And now their movement is clearly above standard..

Last edited:
Reactions: Swipes and Czechboy

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Can anyone provide a list of top players for us and Canada?
USA:

JP Hurlbert
Mikey Berchild

Zane Torre
Parker Trottier
Cole Bumgarner

Canada:

Mathis Preston
Alessandro Di Iorio

Ryan Lin
Zach Nyman
Keaton Verheoff

I expected more from Rudolph/Valentini/Wassilyn. Ruck Twins looked outstanding together, Liam got hurt after two games, and Markus disappeared.

Reactions: Trojans86

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
USA:

JP Hurlbert
Mikey Berchild

Zane Torre
Parker Trottier
Cole Bumgarner

Canada:

Mathis Preston
Alessandro Di Iorio

Ryan Lin
Zach Nyman
Keaton Verheoff

I expected more from Rudolph/Valentini/Wassilyn. Ruck Twins looked outstanding together, Liam got hurt after two games, and Markus disappeared.
Agree with all of this. Rudolph was good in game one, but tailed off after that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Both Katolický and Novák obviously have excellent individual skills in addition to their size. Tomek is also a skilled player. In general, this attack clearly surpassed the other two in terms of gameplay. I only hope that their development will continue continuously, the potential is huge. And above all, let them still have the same good movement, it can be a problem with these big players. And now their movement is clearly above standard..
I really enjoyed this team.. Klaus was fun to, loved the D and how active they were.

One of the more fun Czech teams in my memory tbh. Even in the loss, I thought we played great! I have nothing to complain about and this never happens.

Also, my 'hard to beat a team twice in the tourney' theory lives on.

Reactions: czech and Goodman68

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Congrats Czechia on a great tournament!

Fun tournament as usual. Nice to see the US take gold but I mainly like this tournament because it's an early chance to see some of the up and coming prospects to get excited about for the future. From Hurlbert, Berchild, Preston, Di Iorio, Novak, Katolicky, and beyond, there are a lot of players who showed traits to be excited about going forward.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
USA:

JP Hurlbert
Mikey Berchild

Zane Torre
Parker Trottier
Cole Bumgarner

Canada:

Mathis Preston
Alessandro Di Iorio

Ryan Lin
Zach Nyman
Keaton Verheoff

By eye test ... Loved Hurlbert
.. silky smooth and caused shit every shift.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats Czechia on a great tournament!

Fun tournament as usual. Nice to see the US take gold but I mainly like this tournament because it's an early chance to see some of the up and coming prospects to get excited about for the future. From Hurlbert, Berchild, Preston, Di Iorio, Novak, Katolicky, and beyond, there are a lot of players who showed traits to be excited about going forward.
So US is reigning U20, U18 and Olympic champs? That is impressive! Three different age levels and all gold.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
USA:

JP Hurlbert
Mikey Berchild

Zane Torre
Parker Trottier
Cole Bumgarner

Canada:

Mathis Preston
Alessandro Di Iorio

Ryan Lin
Zach Nyman
Keaton Verheoff

Nice. My kid has skated with Zane and JP a bunch. Both are total studs. Zane is a 100% high character kid. Hope he keeps it up. Don’t really know JP off the ice but my son says his hockey iq is off the charts.

Reactions: WayneGretzky

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Nice. My kid has skated with Zane and JP a bunch. Both are total studs. Zane is a 100% high character kid. Hope he keeps it up. Don’t really know JP off the ice but my son says his hockey iq is off the charts.
That’s great to hear, Zane has a shot that seems to be well ahead of his peers. JP looks great, smart, shifty, fast, JP/Berchild/Torre/Trottier are all locks for the NTDP

Reactions: clevelandcane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad