2024 Youth Olympics - Gangwon, Korea

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Novak is just beautiful! Big, strong and he can score.

3-0 and Finn's did not have a good period to be honest. Better in first and worse in 2nd. Curious what they look like in third.

Larys has been great for us.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finns dominated the third too. Just couldn't score enough. Larys or Novak were POTG for us. Finn goalie definitely POTG.

Gold Medal game tomorrow!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good Luck... Canada match is going to be amazing! I say it ends 5-4 but I have no idea who wins...

The US team does a good job generating a ton of chances and comfortably outshooting their opponents. But the US goalies have both been awful in their appearances, so unless the US buries more of their opportunities than normal, I'm not sure they'll pull it off. But it's U16, so who knows.

Reactions: Czechboy

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
For those who watched, which goalie was in net for Canada? Hard to tell from boxscores.

Looks like Esler played both, but again hard to tell.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No idea how it went but US won 6-5 and it is a Czech - US Gold match and Finland - Canada Bronze matchup.

I have a long standing theory that it is very hard to beat a team twice in the same tournament so I have to say the US are the favs going in. But, time will tell. This team doesn't feel like an underdog this time. They've earned their way and have played great! US have gone to OT twice and beat Canada 6-5. They like close, high scoring games.lol

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
For those who watched, which goalie was in net for Canada? Hard to tell from boxscores.

Looks like Esler played both, but again hard to tell.
Esler played the first two games. Esler then played until 4 minutes into the 2nd period today and allowed 3 goals on 9 shots. He was replaced by Beites who allowed 2 goals on 7 shots.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
The US team does a good job generating a ton of chances and comfortably outshooting their opponents. But the US goalies have both been awful in their appearances, so unless the US buries more of their opportunities than normal, I'm not sure they'll pull it off. But it's U16, so who knows.
It was (sort of) the opposite today. USA was outshot 42-16 but took advantage of their chances. Wendt stood on his head but still allowed 5.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
U16 craziness indeed! Outshot 42-16 but saved by poor Canadian goaltending.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
US defense couldn't handle the Canadian forecheck, which was dominant today. So many failed breakouts and turnovers led to a lot of sustained pressure and shots against. Left them chasing most of the game. You can't get in your own way that consistently against Canada, who is going to make things difficult even if you're not making mistakes. Some absolutely brutal turnovers and misplays led to most of the goals against.

Wendt was awful against Slovakia but was good today and gave his team a chance, and they came through with enough timely scoring to pull it out.

This has been a very uneven Team USA, which isn't all that surprising when talking about U16 hockey. At times they look dominant and others dominated. Biggest issue in maintaining any consistent play has been a very poor and turnover prone defensive group which has been challenged with breakouts and decision making all tournament, and Canada exploited it a lot today.

US carried a lot of the play and offensive chances against Czechia in the first matchup. But Larys has been the best goalie in the tournament and with Novak and Katolicky going as they have been, they're the favorite in the gold medal game in my opinion.

Reactions: Goodman68

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know.. but, in fairness, I like the poster, he's been here longer than me and they makes nice roster predictions.lol
You also gotta learn to accept people quirks to coexist with them. I don’t get why anyone would take too much exception to it. Way too many get upset about it. He’s not trying to be serious. Clearly joking.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Yes... one elaborate charade...

Running Order & Youth Ranking

The Youth Ranking consists of the results of the 2022 and 2023 IIHF U18 Men’s and U18 Women’s Ice Hockey World Championships. Countries will be rewarded points based on their final rankings in these four tournaments. Click here for the Youth Ranking.

The highest-ranked country may then choose whether they wish to participate in the 6-team tournament and, if yes, choose either the male or female tournament. The process will continue until all available 10 [sic] team spots are filled.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I know we've talked about it a lot but Canadian Goalies struggling is something I thought would be resolved by now. Need a summit! I will say, right now, NHL Canuck goalies are looking pretty good in the NHL!

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Canada had 3-0 lead in first.... Finland comes past and leads 4-3 after 2nd

much more competitive Finland than 4 years ago when they only had Kemell and were routed by USA and Russia Miroschnichecnko and Michkov

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad