2024 Youth Olympics - Gangwon, Korea

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Just being nosy. Does anyone know anything about which NOC will be represented in which of the 4 events?

The IIHF was supposed to publish on 30th May its Youth Ranking, combining 2022 and 2023 Men's and Women's U18 WCs results, but still nothing. Had a very, very quick look at a few MNAs' sites and I noticed only Sweden mentions they will play in the women's 5x5 tournament.

Attachments

• Hockey-Qualification-System.pdf
    186.2 KB · Views: 9

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
another question what birth year would these players likely be? i know last time it was 04s mainly for Team USA atleast

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Quoting from the qualification document I've attached:

C.1. AGE REQUIREMENTS:​

To be eligible to participate in the Ice Hockey competitions at the Winter Youth Olympic Games Gangwon 2024, athletes must have been born between 1 January 2008 and 31 December 2009.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
So far, here are the participating countries I've found according to NAs websites, except for France where it was in an interview of the head of the Girls' POE program.

Mens 5x5
- USA
- Canada
- Finland
- Czechia
- Slovakia
- Korea

Womens 5x5
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- Norway
- France
- Hungary

The last spot should be between those 3 countries.

- Germany (Next gathering in Austria scheduled in 8-11 Feb 24, unlikely to go to Korea then)
- Japan
- Italy (No Girls U16 NT program)

Mens 3x3
- Denmark
- Latvia,
- Austria,
- Poland,
- Kazakhstan,
- Great Britain
- Spain
- China,

Womens 3x3
- Korea
- Netherlands
- Australia
- Turkey

I didn't finish looking for that last tournament.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
USA has posted its Men's 5x 5 schedule here:

Looks like Canada will be in a pool with Korea and Finland.

Not sure if there will be exhibition games.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Canada's schedule for Youth Olympics:

Jan 27 8 pm v Korea
Jan 29 8pm v Finland
Jan 30 Semis
Jan 31 medal rounds

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Rosters - Canada - 2024 Olympic Winter Games (Youth)

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I am totally baffled!

Less than a month to go and yet absolutely nothing announced by the IIHF or the organizers about actually anything. The Youth Ranking was published on the IIHF website some time in early November and the associated page about the YOG has been recently partially updated. That's all.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
The 5 on 5 schedule is posted here: Winter youth olympic games gangwon2024 tickets

And here:

Looks like the 3 on 3 schedule hasn't been set yet.

A bunch of games can be streamed on the Oplympics app (including medal games). Some will also be on CBC but the schedule is to be released (like CBC Gem app)

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I guess they've already sorted the 3x3 schedule but considering 2 games can be played at the same time on the same ice sheet, it's easier to sale all day tickets than specific game ones.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland roster

Goalies:

Gammals William, Jokerit
Lammi Pyry, Porin Ässät
Varonen Vili, HIFK

Defenders:
Alalauri Samu, Pelicans
Järvenpää Nooa, Kiekko-Espoo
Piiparinen Juho, Pelicans
Rantanen Lauri, Pelicans
Suominen Julius, Rauman Lukko
Uronen Eelis, KJT-Haukat

Forwards:
Arkko Luka, Pelicans
Kallio Wilmer, TPS
Kähkönen Viljo, HIFK
Laitinen Jiko, Ilves
Myllyniemi Matias, Ilves
Nuutinen Milo, HIFK
Rinne Rasmus, Ilves
Suvanto Oliver, TPS
Torkki Oliver, HIFK

Pretty expected lineup. Pohjola camp top goalie Hämäläinen is still missing. I think the defence is almost best possible only Parkkali and Suominen are quite interchangeable, 3 righties 3 lefties also.
3 best centers also there, from wingers Vanhatalo and Juntunen still injured? missing. Torkki gets callup from good showing in B team. Overall good team but can it match USA/Canada

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Full schedule

So as a recap (IIHF Youth Ranking in brackets, asterisk indicates the country picked which tournament they play in)

Men's 6-team tournament
Group A
- United States (1*)
- Czechia (5*)
- Slovakia (6*)

Group B
- Canada (3*)
- Finland (4*)
- Korea (18*)

Women's 6-team tournament
Group A
- Sweden (2*)
- Japan (9)
- Norway (10)

Group B
- Switzerland (7)
- Germany (8)
- France (11)

Men's 3-on-3 tournament
- Denmark (14*)
- Latvia (15*)
- Austria (16*)
- Poland (17*)
- Kazakhstan (19*)
- Great Britain (20*)
- Spain (21*)
- Chinese Taipei (22*)

Women's 3-on-3 tournament
- Hungary (12*)
- Italy (13*)
- Korea (18)
- Netherlands (23)
- Australia (24)
- China (25)
- Türkiye (27)
- Mexico (28)

So 26th-place Estonia is the only country to have declined their invitation.

Games are to be streamed live on the Olympics app with the 6-team tournaments' finals also available on YouTube.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rosters - Canada - 2024 Olympic Winter Games (Youth)
That team has some firepower.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Full schedule

So as a recap (IIHF Youth Ranking in brackets, asterisk indicates the country picked which tournament they play in)

Men's 6-team tournament
Group A
- United States (1*)
- Czechia (5*)
- Slovakia (6*)

Group B
- Canada (3*)
- Finland (4*)
- Korea (18*)

Women's 6-team tournament
Group A
- Sweden (2*)
- Japan (9)
- Norway (10)

Group B
- Switzerland (7)
- Germany (8)
- France (11)

Men's 3-on-3 tournament
- Denmark (14*)
- Latvia (15*)
- Austria (16*)
- Poland (17*)
- Kazakhstan (19*)
- Great Britain (20*)
- Spain (21*)
- Chinese Taipei (22*)

Women's 3-on-3 tournament
- Hungary (12*)
- Italy (13*)
- Korea (18)
- Netherlands (23)
- Australia (24)
- China (25)
- Türkiye (27)
- Mexico (28)

So 26th-place Estonia is the only country to have declined their invitation.

Games are to be streamed live on the Olympics app with the 6-team tournaments' finals also available on YouTube.
I expect Latvia to win with Murnieks earning a hattrick in every game on average. Anything else is going to be a disappointment.

Not sure what is the point of having a potential 1st round draft pick face Taiwan. They could have introduced another tier or expanded the 5-on-5 tournament.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I expect Latvia to win with Murnieks earning a hattrick in every game on average. Anything else is going to be a disappointment.

Not sure what is the point of having a potential 1st round draft pick face Taiwan. They could have introduced another tier or expanded the 5-on-5 tournament.
To be fair they "only" lost 2:11 to Denmark, which is the kind of result you normally see between the extremes at any level.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The first results are in.

Latvia 24-5 Spain.

Looks like they don't actually have anyone recording the goals/assists. No stats available whatsoever.

According to the Latvian hockey federation, Murnieks with a hattrick, Klaucans, Paurs and Bartulis with 4 goals each

To be fair they "only" lost 2:11 to Denmark, which is the kind of result you normally see between the extremes at any level.
That's more of a slight against Denmark, the Taiwanese weigh about 60 kg on average

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I'm really peeved. I wanted to watch some of those 3x3 games. But there isn't a single stream anywhere. They could do like curling and show some select games but not even the finals will be broadcasted according to the Olympics app. This is just plain ridiculous.

Otherwise the biggest surprise of Day 1 was probably Türkiye holding off Italy in the girls' tournament. And Korea doing well vs China so I think they may have a good shot for that medal the boys' team was sacrificed for

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'm really peeved. I wanted to watch some of those 3x3 games. But there isn't a single stream anywhere. They could do like curling and show some select games but not even the finals will be broadcasted according to the Olympics app. This is just plain ridiculous.

Otherwise the biggest surprise of Day 1 was probably Türkiye holding off Italy in the girls' tournament. And Korea doing well vs China so I think they may have a good shot for that medal the boys' team was sacrificed for
Honestly, this is a bit of a joke tournament. Playing cross-ice is an interesting choice as well.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Honestly, this is a bit of a joke tournament. Playing cross-ice is an interesting choice as well.
It's just a second go at a variant that can be interesting from a developmental perspective to some minor countries/communities that don't necessarily have the needed infrastructure/people to play regular hockey. At least this time they are using national teams instead of international ones like in Lausanne.

Plenty of sports have variants using different line-up or playing area sizes. I remember when rugby sevens started I was not convinced at all by it (okay, the French were sh*te at it 😅) but it's not like many non traditional nations were and are coming up to the level of the top ones in rugby union. Hockey is in the same (actually worse) position in terms of popularising the sport and being accessible. So if that format can help a tiny bit, then why not?

Reactions: MH and wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad