2024 Youth Olympics - Gangwon, Korea

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I would also consider a goalie swap... jarys has been good but at least 2 are on him.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
US chokes it away with a horrific night on special teams and Larys badly outplaying Weeks. Katolicky and Novak were standouts for the Czechs. Big dudes at this age but lots of skill, too.

Likely Canada vs US in the semifinals.

Hurlbert reminds me of Will Smith. Him along with Berchild and Stuart have been the best Americans. Francisco gets a big role on the back end but it's been more bad than good, even though you can see the appeal. Reminds me of Hunter Brzustewicz at this tournament.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
US chokes it away with a horrific night on special teams and Larys badly outplaying Weeks.

Likely Canada vs US in the semifinals.

Hurlbert reminds me of Will Smith. Him along with Berchild and Stuart have been the best Americans. Francisco gets a big role on the back end but it's been more bad than good, even though you can see the appeal. Reminds me of Hunter Brzustewicz at this tournament.
Hurbert was awesome! So smooth

Reactions: William H Bonney

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, down 4 to 1 and we won 6 to 5. Novak came to life and was great.

I was having flashbacks to last months Juniors and how we lost to US in a long shootout. Nice we can have close games with them at the youth level.

Novak and kotalicky are fun to watch and both can fire it! Kachlir looks very promising.

Onto semis against lower ofcanada and Finland. Nice comeback. We scored on PP, 5 on 5 AND shorthanded. Reminded me of the bronze vs Finland.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Looks like Canada won 4-1... so North American and Euro semi's coming up!

Czechs vs Finns
US vs Canada in a blockbuster

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Good to see the Czechs keeping up at the youth levels now. Its a good thing for the sport at the international level. Hard to see who wins in the semis for a Canada vs USA match, the US has had our number at this tourney for a while.

Could it really have been that much of a pain to add 2 more teams for group play? Its rather surprising that Sweden has never sent a U16 squad since this tourneys inception in 2012. Before it was just a 5 teams single pool with 4 games round robin. 2 game round robin is a bit ridiculous.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good to see the Czechs keeping up at the youth levels now. Its a good thing for the sport at the international level. Hard to see who wins in the semis for a Canada vs USA match, the US has had our number at this tourney for a while.

Could it really have been that much of a pain to add 2 more teams for group play? Its rather surprising that Sweden has never sent a U16 squad since this tourneys inception in 2012. Before it was just a 5 teams single pool with 4 games round robin. 2 game round robin is a bit ridiculous.
It is.. Slovaks flew in.. played two close games in 24 hours and went home. That's brutal.

This tourney is a lot of fun... Fire wagon hockey.

Czech results are encouraging.. we are floundering at NHL level but junior results are encouraging... last 13 months

Finals of world Juniors
Finals of hlinka
Bronze at this year's junior
Final four here after beating US

It's encouraging because it isn't one age group. It seems to be nicely spread out from 14 to 19 years old.

Only black eye is the U18s where we bombed out. That team was also coached totally differently than the others. Very defensive and boring hockey. The other teams above have all been fun to watch and aggressive.

Hopefully a sign of things to come! Eg. Big 5 again in 5 years.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Novák and Katolický are looking like top6 calibre players and both are physically imposing, very nice!
The next Jecho and Sapo!lol Seriously though, they were very noticeable against the US and Slovaks. They are a problem for others. Might be because they are so big and have a physical advantage but they can fire the puck!

• Haha
Reactions: GettingYourMoms

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
The next Jecho and Sapo!lol Seriously though, they were very noticeable against the US and Slovaks. They are a problem for others. Might be because they are so big and have a physical advantage but they can fire the puck!
Wouldn´d be mad for another generational talent like Jecho.:laugh:

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017

Apart from the host country, each nation can line up only one team at the YOG and Sweden has always picked to play in the women's tournament. I believe they are the only to make that choice voluntarily.

Expanding the format would be nice but it becomes a question of logistics as all hockey events have to be played in a single arena and the 3x3 tournaments take 6 days. I know many would scrap them but the YOG are more of a developmental event than your regular OG/WCs and are supposed to also offer young athletes from non traditional countries to take part in a world class event.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It would be cool if they just didn't rely on the YOG to have a useful U16 tournament. Having a yearly tournament would be a great way for players to make their cases to leagues, coaches, scouts, etc. ahead of things junior league drafts, NTDP team selection, etc.
I guess everyone can agree on that in principle, but when it comes to footing the bill no one wants the burden of hosting a major tournament annually.

Reactions: FrHockeyFan

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Just rewatched most of the US game. Very fun hockey from both teams. It's been so refreshing to watch Czech underage teams play active and enthusiastic hockey like that in the past year or so. Skating, transition, defensmen activation...lots of things to like.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just rewatched most of the US game. Very fun hockey from both teams. It's been so refreshing to watch Czech underage teams play active and enthusiastic hockey like that in the past year or so. Skating, transition, defensmen activation...lots of things to like.
This tournament has been a blast! 3 like hockey with shortened periods. Everyone is shot out of a cannonball! Also, those jerseys are beautiful.

Beautiful hockey in beautiful jerseys.

What's next? They fix the junior league and our players stay? Extraliaga becomes a hot spot for scouting? Players (other than Kassian) come to us to develop? Maybe I am getting ahead of myself lol

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The US goalies suuuuck.

It's bringing me back to the 2012 YOG. The goalies on that team combined for a sub 80% save percentage as well, though most of that was at the hands of the Russians (2 games) and Canadians. Hopefully these guys can redeem themselves over the next few games, but it's tough getting Canada in the semis.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So Sweden did not even qualify, where are u now, all u people laughing at me for saying Sweden is on the decline.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Sweden did not even qualify, where are u now, all u people laughing at me for saying Sweden is on the decline.
They chose womens instead. I think you can only chose one. Which is why Canada and US don't have women's teams. It wasn't because they didn't qualify. It was because they chose the mens competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad