2024 WWE Media Rights Dealings: Smackdown moving to USA in October 2024, Raw to Netflix in January 2025

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They broadcast WWE in the UK, I think. I would not read too much into it.

This is the way. They switched a while ago.

The timing is still suspect to me considering they almost never upload actual segments.

FWIW, I still think WBD inevitably goes with AEW because it seems everybody believes they own a stake... But I don't think the timing of them suddenly throwing up a RAW segment on YouTube is coincidental. If nothing else, they may just be playing around with WWE to leverage their deal with AEW.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The timing is still suspect to me considering they almost never upload actual segments.

FWIW, I still think WBD inevitably goes with AEW because it seems everybody believes they own a stake... But I don't think the timing of them suddenly throwing up a RAW segment on YouTube is coincidental. If nothing else, they may just be playing around with WWE to leverage their deal with AEW.
Which they definitely should do.

Heck, if I was a shareholder of WBD, I would expect them to at least explore what WWE is looking for. It is a big asset to add to their lineup. Now, is the ROI enough to dump AEW for WWE. It might not be despite the much higher revenu potential. But, yeah, they have to at least test the waters.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Which they definitely should do.

Heck, if I was a shareholder of WBD, I would expect them to at least explore what WWE is looking for. It is a big asset to add to their lineup. Now, is the ROI enough to dump AEW for WWE. It might not be despite the much higher revenu potential. But, yeah, they have to at least test the waters.

If they indeed own a stake in AEW it'd probably be dumb for them to dump AEW. Though I've also wondered... If they own a stake in AEW why would they be paying for AEW's TV rights? (Or at least not getting them at a discount consistent with the stake they own) You'd essentially just be paying yourself. (And taxing millions in the process)

I'm not sure, given some of the financial problems they're supposedly going through, that WBD can afford both WWE and AEW. RAW's rights were supposedly going to come in a little short of $400M/year and that was before WBD came back into play.

Unless they're swimming in money we don't know about, committing $400M/year to the WWE seems like cutting your own dick off considering the NBA supposedly wants to triple their rights fees.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

With the sinking ratings, they don't need anything else to help with their leverage.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
With the sinking ratings, they don't need anything else to help with their leverage.

Wouldn't read too much into the ratings honestly. Ratings have been going down for WWE for two decades.

If anything might sink AEWs rights it's the fact that the talent insists on saying f*** and shit into a mic five times per show, blades incessantly, and drinks each other's blood. That's no bueno for advertisers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

They have though. TNT sports used to be BT Sports which had the UK rights to WWE. They still own a stake in the channel with WBD and the previous rights deal is still in place. BT sports twitter page always posted WWE news and clips and sometimes got very snarky about it.

AEW's UK deal is with ITV.

You can't really compare international rights deals and holders with domestic ones. They generally are not related.

Reactions: sabremike

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RAW did a really bad number on Christmas with its clip show, but I imagine that was definitely expected and not a concern.
John Pollock and Wai Ting opined about who will be the one to write the headline about Dynamite beating Raw this week. Next year, AEW will have to not only deal with it too, but could be their final show with Turner.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Might as well make sure this is on the RAW thread and news thread...

RAW to Netflix. Supposedly for 10 years, $5B+.

I didn't know MLSE ran Netflix!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Why would they put RAW behind a paywall like that? That' kills exposure.

I question the paywall less. I'm more wondering why they opted to lock it in for 10 years.

That's a long ass time if you get into year three and decide streaming is not working. Or if NETFLIX goes belly up in year four and the contract gets bought out by somebody WWE doesn't necessarily want to be featured by.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Why would they put RAW behind a paywall like that? That' kills exposure.
I don't know the stats, but I wouldn't be shocked if more people have access to Netflix than cable at this point. I haven't had access to USA Network in 4 years.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don't know the stats, but I wouldn't be shocked if more people have access to Netflix than cable at this point. I haven't had access to USA Network in 4 years.

Weird. I haven't had access to NETFLIX in probably 4 years lol.

Other streamers caught up to NETFLIX in movie and TV show availability, and their original content has been ass for awhile now.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Weird. I haven't had access to NETFLIX in probably 4 years lol.

Other streamers caught up to NETFLIX in movie and TV show availability, and their original content has been ass for awhile now.
I'm sure that's the case with so many streaming now. I guess I should have said streaming vs. cable. I guess a lot of people do you YouTube TV.

According to various articles, Netflix global subscribers is about 250 million and growing. WWE will definitely help that growth.

1706015520751.png

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
lol on netflix in canada also lame... i wish these steaming apps would f off already.. oh well i aint buying netflix so i will either not watch or find "other ways"

Reactions: Guardian17

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm sure that's the case with so many streaming now. I guess I should have said streaming vs. cable. I guess a lot of people do you YouTube TV.

According to various articles, Netflix global subscribers is about 250 million and growing. WWE will definitely help that growth.

View attachment 808618
Is it growing though?

By number yes. But it leveled out and even started to go negative in 2022. It didn't start to pick back up until 2023 when they cracked down on account sharing.

So while their subscriber count is "Growing" again, that doesn't mean the number of eyeballs actually viewing has increased.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This has the potential to be a halfway decent deal for Canadians if it means Sportsnet loses the rights to WWE.

Their implementation of the "network" stuff has been horrendous to the point most of that content is inaccessible here. If Netflix can actually get the back catalog alongside RAW? Might not be bad.

But given how we're treated as consumers, that probably won't happen. HOPE YA LIKE DOUBLE DIPPING, BROTHER.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Is it growing though?

By number yes. But it leveled out and even started to go negative in 2022. It didn't start to pick back up until 2023 when they cracked down on account sharing.

So while their subscriber count is "Growing" again, that doesn't mean the number of eyeballs actually viewing has increased.
No idea what the actual eyeball count is. I'd imagine Netflix doesn't care as it's the subscription increase that brings in the money. In the end, though, I'd think the addition of live content will drive both numbers up.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Still feels wrong for RAW after 31 years (32 by time this deal actually takes effect) to just blink out of world of Cable/TV just like that.

This would be like if Monday Night Football decided it "f*** it, we're moving to Disney+"

Reactions: hockey20000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad