2024 WWE Media Rights Dealings: Smackdown moving to USA in October 2024, Raw to Netflix in January 2025

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Posted in another thread but according to Dave, Punk's signing "Opened a door that was previously closed" with WBD.

I dunno that I see it happening, but it'd be absolutely hilarious if Tony fired Punk, only for Punk to go to WWE and WBD to drop AEW because WWE acquired Punk.

... It's also hilarious if WBD is really having a knee-jerk reaction to Punk like this. The guy is a star and a draw, no doubt. But I don't think he continues to pop quarters this significantly in 6 months, or even in three months, and yet they're infatuated with him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Posted in another thread but according to Dave, Punk's signing "Opened a door that was previously closed" with WBD.

I dunno that I see it happening, but it'd be absolutely hilarious if Tony fired Punk, only for Punk to go to WWE and WBD to drop AEW because WWE acquired Punk.

... It's also hilarious if WBD is really having a knee-jerk reaction to Punk like this. The guy is a star and a draw, no doubt. But I don't think he continues to pop quarters this significantly in 6 months, or even in three months, and yet they're infatuated with him.
This is an industry that spent 20-30 years convincing themselves that Vince was an elite-level business man despite all of this ventures besides wrestling going under in hilariously short order, and the wrestling may have went under as well if WCW wasn’t insistent on being worse at doing business.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
This is an industry that spent 20-30 years convincing themselves that Vince was an elite-level business man despite all of this ventures besides wrestling going under in hilariously short order, and the wrestling may have went under as well if WCW wasn’t insistent on being worse at doing business.
They still are convinced Vince is a genius, even after having seen that the product is now the best it's been in probably 20 years.

FWIW, he absolutely is a fantastic businessman and promoter. But any creative skills he had died long ago. People forget that nearly all his biggest stars were created in spite of Vince. Worth noting that Dana has come out recently and said Vince is responsible for getting UFC into Saudi. (Say what you will about the morality, but it's still a positive for businessmen looking to profit)

Hogan - Was a heel in his first WWF run. (Technically I think this was under Vince Sr.) Went to the AWA and Vince pretty much plucked him from there and just inserted him into WWF doing the Hulkamania thing.

Austin - Was The Ringmaster and has famously told the story that Vince was editing his promos because he was "Popping the guys in the truck". To the point that Austin had to ask him to stop editing his promos because he'd never get over without his personality. Also worth noting that Triple H's participation in the curtain call was a fortunate misstep that led to the Austin 3:16 promo.

The Rock - Got "Die Rocky Die" chants. Didn't get over until he was turned heel and allowed to be himself.

Cena - Was bland as f*** and was literally told if he didn't cut the shit doing his own thing, he was gonna get fired... He still ended up bland as f*** in the end, but he made them a f*** ton of money doing it, and you can't deny that he can speak for himself better than any writer can.

Roman - I don't think we need to re-hash the Sufferin' Succotash promo or the dog food angle or any of the other BS. He probably never becomes the Tribal Chief if not for COVID and suspension of house shows.

LA Knight - I'm not comparing him to these guys, more highlighting that Vince literally wanted him as a f***ing male model manager, and he's one of the most over stars only a year later.

About the only major, major star I can think of that was a Vince creation was Undertaker, and that's mostly thanks to Mark Calaway. Anybody else with that gimmick and it's likely another gag-worthy gimmick that is quickly scrapped.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They still are convinced Vince is a genius, even after having seen that the product is now the best it's been in probably 20 years.

FWIW, he absolutely is a fantastic businessman and promoter. But any creative skills he had died long ago. People forget that nearly all his biggest stars were created in spite of Vince. Worth noting that Dana has come out recently and said Vince is responsible for getting UFC into Saudi. (Say what you will about the morality, but it's still a positive for businessmen looking to profit)

Hogan - Was a heel in his first WWF run. (Technically I think this was under Vince Sr.) Went to the AWA and Vince pretty much plucked him from there and just inserted him into WWF doing the Hulkamania thing.

Austin - Was The Ringmaster and has famously told the story that Vince was editing his promos because he was "Popping the guys in the truck". To the point that Austin had to ask him to stop editing his promos because he'd never get over without his personality. Also worth noting that Triple H's participation in the curtain call was a fortunate misstep that led to the Austin 3:16 promo.

The Rock - Got "Die Rocky Die" chants. Didn't get over until he was turned heel and allowed to be himself.

Cena - Was bland as f*** and was literally told if he didn't cut the shit doing his own thing, he was gonna get fired... He still ended up bland as f*** in the end, but he made them a f*** ton of money doing it, and you can't deny that he can speak for himself better than any writer can.

Roman - I don't think we need to re-hash the Sufferin' Succotash promo or the dog food angle or any of the other BS. He probably never becomes the Tribal Chief if not for COVID and suspension of house shows.

LA Knight - I'm not comparing him to these guys, more highlighting that Vince literally wanted him as a f***ing male model manager, and he's one of the most over stars only a year later.

About the only major, major star I can think of that was a Vince creation was Undertaker, and that's mostly thanks to Mark Calaway. Anybody else with that gimmick and it's likely another gag-worthy gimmick that is quickly scrapped.
Cena was getting cut. Stephanie saved him.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I still think an opportunity might have been missed with Ice Dagger, Otto Von Ruthless, and Chilly McFreeze, SCSA turned out OK but I think the ball was still possibly dropped there

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Worth pointing out if you are a big AEW fan and worried about this.

These are the same dudes that were sure WWE was sold to the Saudis and were 100% wrong. Same dudes that got super weird and hostle and convinced that Punk was not going back to WWE and were wrong.

I would take anything they say when it comes to the business side of things with massive grains of salt.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I will say, considering WBD doesn't seem interested in expanding their books and legit might be heading to bankruptcy, I find jt hard to buy they would pay more for one show, instead of paying the same or less with 3 shows from AEW.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't have a Math degree but if you get twice as much ad revenue while paying three times more in rights fees while getting less content to boot that doesn't sound like a smart deal.
Of course it doesn't when you casually throw in numbers like that. What if they get triple the ad revenue? How do you know the ad revenue would be double and not more?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jack Perry sarcastically chirping about real glass snowballing into the possibility of WWE/One Bill Phil taking Warner Brothers from AEW should’ve been seen a mile away. Warner Brothers likes Cody too.

The last couple of years have been crazy

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jack Perry sarcastically chirping about real glass snowballing into the possibility of WWE/One Bill Phil taking Warner Brothers from AEW should’ve been seen a mile away. Warner Brothers likes Cody too.

The last couple of years have been crazy
It speaks to the overarching issue in AEW that while trying to compete with them, they are making them money and making them stronger instead

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There seems to be a thought that WWE isn't going to push for exclusivity in this deal so there is a world where the turner channels carry RAW and AEW.

I imagine the only way that happens is if WBD lose their NBA rights and I would also assume something like Rampage would get canceled as 4 wrestling shows a week is a f***ing lot.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
that young bucks victory lap has the potential to be all-time comedy. Warner Brothers- you can do something very funny. Do it!

• Haha
Reactions: GKJ

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It speaks to the overarching issue in AEW that while trying to compete with them, they are making them money and making them stronger instead

Tony's gonna end up running the company into the ground because he's incapable of realizing that he's not talented at booking or managing a locker room. Which is hilarious, because AEW was conceived and initially succeeded with a fan base who was sick of bad booking by a old man who refused to accept that he was out of touch and give up his pen... Tony has become what he hated.

Sadly, even if Tony did start to delegate this out to other people, the people he considers to be great wrestling minds don't appear to be any more capable. Omega has done a bang-up job with the women's division and the Bucks are so good that they kill the rating every time they're on TV.

Danielson would probably be a good talent relations guy along the same lines of JR in the 90s, because even as the bearer of bad news, talent would know he gave a shit about them. Instead he's out here fining talent for bad-mouthing the company on X. (At Tony's direction, I'm sure) That'll improve morale.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Fire up the speculation machine!

... I went looking for Rollins/McIntyre's promo last night on YouTube. Oddly the channel that had it was TNT Sports, which I say is odd because usually full segments are posted by the WWE, WWE on FOX, or WWE on USA.

For the hell of it, I went to TNT Sports videos. They do upload some WWE stuff, but it's mainly stuff like Helwani's interviews or ranked highlight lists or big news. The only other "Live Segment" I could find within the last year was the SD opener for Bray's tribute.

Do with that information what you will...

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Fire up the speculation machine!

... I went looking for Rollins/McIntyre's promo last night on YouTube. Oddly the channel that had it was TNT Sports, which I say is odd because usually full segments are posted by the WWE, WWE on FOX, or WWE on USA.

For the hell of it, I went to TNT Sports videos. They do upload some WWE stuff, but it's mainly stuff like Helwani's interviews or ranked highlight lists or big news. The only other "Live Segment" I could find within the last year was the SD opener for Bray's tribute.

Do with that information what you will...
They broadcast WWE in the UK, I think. I would not read too much into it.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1